Jon Vermilye - Look what you are missing! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Jon Vermilye - Look what you are missing!

While you are enjoying warm and beautiful Texas, The rest of us, back here in snow country, are going to enjoy a white Christmas!

Frewsburg, NY, receives lake affect show from Lake Erie, Oswego, NY, Jon's home, gets the same lake affect snow from Lake Ontario. This morning we have 20 inches of fresh snow on our front deck. 13 inches just on the railing.

Time to start digging out!
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0823.jpg   IMG_0818.jpg  
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm sure Jon misses that like he does with a toothache, he can travel to where it is 70 degrees year round, nice.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Peter:
Better you than me. We're supposed to get about 10 inches in the next 48 hours. I'm on the way down to the garage to plug in the diesel tractor and get ready for what you hardy souls would consider a skift. After that I'm going on a search upstairs for my Bing Crosby "White Christmas" album in 78 rpm. Merry Christmas
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would LOVE to get a snowfall like that. We have the cold weather, why not a beautiful marshmallow landscape/

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
For years I’ve been snowblowing our ¼ mile long uphill driveway with my big walk behind, but my back has been grumbling about it the last couple of seasons.

So I started out just to find out what it would cost me to replace my 2004 Kubota with a newer model that was easier to change between the front bucket and a front mount snowblower and also a drive over belly mower. I quickly found that Kubota diesel tractors keep value far better then cars and trucks - they offered me nearly what I paid for ours in 2004 in trade-in. Even then it was too much to afford this year, but the salesman said - no problem, Kubota will give you a 5 year interest free loan for the remainder.

So what started as merely exploring my snow removal needs has become a new Kubota, snowblower, front loader, and belly mower. Problem is the big snow is coming tonight, but the tractor won't be here until next week.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
While you are enjoying warm and beautiful Texas, The rest of us, back here in snow country, are going to enjoy a white Christmas!

Frewsburg, NY, receives lake affect show from Lake Erie, Oswego, NY, Jon's home, gets the same lake affect snow from Lake Ontario. This morning we have 20 inches of fresh snow on our front deck. 13 inches just on the railing.

Time to start digging out!
Peter
Hi: pstyer... Unless there's a drastic change coming, we have NO SNOW!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
What you really need Eric is a neighbour like ours, he saw me out shovelling during our big storm this week and asked if I should be shovelling (I was taking it easy) after my heart issues, then basically told me to beat it and go back inside. He kept doing my drive and walk right up to the back door. We got about a foot and terrible winds the grandkids were off school three days and now the bitter cold has settled in.

Now I don't suppose with your 1/4 mile driveway you'd have such a willing neighbour I do feel your pain though, when we lived outside Thunder Bay we had a long uphill driveway and used just a Sears 18hp mower with snowblower attachment. Wasn't much better than a walk behind.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Adrian - it's good to hear you are feeling well enough to get out there and try - even though your Dr would undoubtedly tell you not to!

I need a tractor anyway for mowing the trails we keep open on our land and the native prairie restoration projects. It really comes in handy to turn the Escape around at the top of the drive and then back it into the shed.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So what started as merely exploring my snow removal needs has become a new Kubota, snowblower, front loader, and belly mower. Problem is the big snow is coming tonight, but the tractor won't be here until next week.

Timing is everything.....

Sounds like me when I went in for a tune up and came home with a new truck.......!!
Old 12-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Shopping

Geez, all this new equipment, I went to the farm store for a new cutting edge for my snow pusher and came home with a new shovel and thought I was doing good. Now THAT is a lie.
Eric, I really like those Kubotas, they are great. Post a picture in action when you get it.
Adrian, although it's a long drive, if I hear from Beth that you're not listening I'll be up and it won't be pretty.
My New Holland TC40D is an 02 and I've only put 90 hours on it in the 7 years I've had it, so it's hard to justify a new one. Less than a thousand hours, probably outlive me. One of the park foremen told me yesterday they traded in a 1968 Ford Tractor loader last week so they last a long time.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I bought a commercial snowblower 2 years ago after a hard winter and have hardly used it yet. Being kind of on the border between snow and rain, we get some good ice storms which can really do a number on the trees and power lines. Warm and dry suits me just fine. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ice, Ice Baby. No snow blower would work for me! Took this picture about 30 minutes ago of my backyard. Easily 1" of solid ice on those trees. I'm sitting hear listening to branches break. If the neighbor's tree to the right comes down it will crush my carport, the Scamp and my panel.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1439.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #13

Ice, I hate ice! It does not mix well with a long steep driveway.... You remind me that I need to go to the township shed and fill up my buckets with the sand/salt mix they let town residents take.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #14
Site Team

I had to go out last night and go to my mother's, we lost power in the area and since she's 92 years old, I wanted to make certain she was warm enough. When I got home, I parked in the driveway (as usual), when I got ready to go to bed, I looked out and the dang truck was in the middle of the cul-de-sac... it had slid down the driveway!
Old 12-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I had to go out last night and go to my mother's, we lost power in the area and since she's 92 years old, I wanted to make certain she was warm enough. When I got home, I parked in the driveway (as usual), when I got ready to go to bed, I looked out and the dang truck was in the middle of the cul-de-sac... it had slid down the driveway!
No damage I hope?

My old 1961 F250 had an emergency brake that would stick on,and I had not yet fixed it, which then led to great foolishness on my part. I was heading out to cut firewood and had forgotten my sharpening file. I left the truck running on, sticky emergency brake off, (what I thought was) the flat enough part of my sloping drive while I ran to grab the file. As I came back out of the basement, the truck was ever so slowly starting to roll down the drive. As I ran down the steps and onto the drive, it picked up speed ahead of me, slowly turned off the drive and headed down the slopped field toward the creek. As I watched in horror trying to imaging how I was going to get it out of the creek, it managed to hit in the limbs of a big silver maple and stopped. Not a scratch on it!

Old 12-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #16
Site Team

Nope truck was just fine sitting out in the middle of the circle. But I knew I had to get it out of there as it was a hazard to anyone wanting to get in or out of their own driveway's. I'm never, ever going to complain about hot weather again!
Old 12-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #17
Site Team

OH MY STARS. Two huge limbs just fell from a neighbors tree. Hit my deck, took out 6 of the 8' arborvite and who knows what else. I can't get outside to check it out. That was within a few inches of the corner of my house!
Old 12-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
OH MY STARS. Two huge limbs just fell from a neighbors tree. Hit my deck, took out 6 of the 8" arborvite and who knows what else. I can't get outside to check it out. That was within a few inches of the corner of my house!
Hi: Donna D...... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #19

Snowstorm survival techniques:
Attached Thumbnails
15349755_1335241906526254_7450201198107744067_n.jpg  

Old 12-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
OH MY STARS. Two huge limbs just fell from a neighbors tree. Hit my deck, took out 6 of the 8" arborvite and who knows what else. I can't get outside to check it out. That was within a few inches of the corner of my house!
But it missed the trailer(s), right? Glad you are OK Donna.