Just a couple of 5.0 quirks. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Just a couple of 5.0 quirks.

For those of you that are new or future 5.0 owners, there is a couple of things to be aware of.

First...secure your extra items you carry in the bed of your pickup. Turbulent winds reflecting off the front will cause light weight gear such as empty water containers, portable dump tanks, and lawn chairs to fly out. Things that would normally travel OK while towing a bumper pull.

Next...watch out for dips, humps and drop offs! It is easy to hit the bed top rail with the trailer. Set up your rig with plenty of clearance and stay mindful that under some parking or towing conditions, your can do damage. Keep everything in the bed below top rail height.

Next...Secure your emergency brake lanyard so that turbulent wind does not disconnect it. I loop mine in the hitch handle with a small Velcro strap.

Next...Keep things you store in the driver side front compartment to a minimum. Why you ask? Should some move and settle on the front jack switches, it could spell disaster. Causing your jacks to lower while in tow. They are unprotected rocker switches.

Just a few small issues I am passing on to you from experience and observations.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks David! I knew about loading the pickup bed and securing the load below the rails, along with make sure everything was secure from wind. But, I hadn't even thought about the rocker switches. Oh my!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
For those of you that are new or future 5.0 owners, there is a couple of things to be aware of.

First...secure your extra items you carry in the bed of your pickup. Turbulent winds reflecting off the front will cause light weight gear such as empty water containers, portable dump tanks, and lawn chairs to fly out. Things that would normally travel OK while towing a bumper pull.

Next...watch out for dips, humps and drop offs! It is easy to hit the bed top rail with the trailer. Set up your rig with plenty of clearance and stay mindful that under some parking or towing conditions, your can do damage. Keep everything in the bed below top rail height.

Next...Secure your emergency brake lanyard so that turbulent wind does not disconnect it. I loop mine in the hitch handle with a small Velcro strap.

Next...Keep things you store in the driver side front compartment to a minimum. Why you ask? Should some move and settle on the front jack switches, it could spell disaster. Causing your jacks to lower while in tow. They are unprotected rocker switches.

Just a few small issues I am passing on to you from experience and observations.
Hi: daveandsandyclink... Thanks...Guess I must have done some things right!!! 6 yrs. towing "Our Escape Hatch" and only lost 1 wood block from the truck box. I75 northbound thru Ohio with 50 + mph crosswinds lifted it out.
Escape trailers are "Great" trailers made by "Great" people for "Great" people!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Rocker guard switch covers are available. Can someone post a pic of the switches?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Rocker guard switch covers are available. Can someone post a pic of the switches?
Hi: tractors1... They may be unprotected but you would have to jamb something really tight to them to make them work. You must keep them depressed with your fingers as they are spring loaded. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Someone should suggest to Reace and Tammy a kill switch for rocker switches, a easy fix. Maybe I will when I talk with them in Bandon. I know I want them installed on my 5.0 TA.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Someone should suggest to Reace and Tammy a kill switch for rocker switches, a easy fix. Maybe I will when I talk with them in Bandon. I know I want them installed on my 5.0 TA.
Rocker switches with safety guards are standard products - probably cheaper/easier for ETI to change their purchase spec instead of adding another part and added labor.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
agree, safety guards would be good. Thanks,
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Thanks David any other sugestions re options that you like/use or not?

Doug
Old 06-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #10

Yes...the curved leg pieces of you Carefree of Colorado awning are specially bent @ ETI to follow the contour of your 5.0. Do not damage them. Carefree only sells some parts or complete awnings through dealers such as ETI. Add that safety strap and never leave it opened out and left alone with the chance of freak wind gusts or storms. Something that new or inexperienced owners need to know.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Bent at ETI or bent at Carefree FOR them? Would take a lot of expense for ETI to bend, prime, and paint those leg pieces.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #12

As I understand, ETI. We destroyed our first awning as it came open while driving through a heavy, gusty storm. (two weeks old) The new Carefree awning was shipped from Colorado. We had to purchased it through ETI. Ordered as we were standing in the parking lot at Carefree of Colorado. Delivered by motor freight only. The first thing Reace asked me was "are the bent arms pieces damaged?" Indicating they were special. Perhaps someone locally bents the arms for ETI. Learn from me. $540.00 + freight Put on a $3.00 strap!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Yup! Always had one on my Casita for that very reason.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-18-2014, 02:30 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Quote:
Add that safety strap and never leave it opened out and left alone with the chance of freak wind gusts or storms. Something that new or inexperienced owners need to know.
Good call, it's on the wanted/needed things list now.

Thanks!

Severinus and Yvonne
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For those who do not own any, here is a link Amazon.com: Camco 42503 12" Awning Straps: Automotive
Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For those who do not own any, here is a link Amazon.com: Camco 42503 12" Awning Straps: Automotive
It appears these straps go around each arm. The arms already have a lock on each and the black knob tightened, so for the awning to open at least one lock and knob would have to fail?

Dave
dave1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some people are belt and suspenders….in case one fails there is a back up. That little plastic tab is easily overcome, I managed to open mine one time with then closed. The black screw tabs on the cross support will not keep the awning arm from being deployed, try opening it with them tight!!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
The first thing Reace asked me was "are the bent arms pieces damaged?" Indicating they were special. Perhaps someone locally bents the arms for ETI.
Originally, Reace had someone bending them, but they stopped doing it, and I believe he has the jig now, and bends them himself.

When my wife packed up one time without me, and drove home (I was in my truck), she had neglected to latch the awning closed, and it opened up some, tearing the fabric. All we had to do was replace the fabric though, an easy job, but almost $200 for the replacement.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #19

I don't know what happen. According to Carefree of Colorado, it can't happen if operated properly. But when you do a search on the subject, it has and does. I was new to this awning design and may have made an error when putting it back up. It was a horrible, expensive experience that I am sharing with anyone new to the RV world and CfC awnings.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
During my travels down the highways, I've seen awnings unfurling and slide-outs creeping out.

My Scamp has a case awning, it's easy to tell if it's locked (red tab), but I'm not willing to risk my 5er awning for a couple of buck product and two minutes of my time. THANKS FOR THE REMINDER to use something to secure the awning!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote