Just toured a 21 footer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Just toured a 21 footer

Last night I posted this as part of another thread and realized this morning that it needs its own thread. I've made some additions to the original post. Here it is:

We just got back from viewing the 21'. WOW!

Okay, learned lots of things, of which a few are:

The ceiling and walls are padded! Very nice to the touch and even better if I bang an elbow against the wall while in bed or the dinette. This is mentioned on their site, but I did not understand what it meant.

Lots more room in the bathroom than I thought there would be. Not even sure if I'd need to remove the sink, so that was great to see. However, since then my mind has been pondering all the ways to put shampoo, soap, etc in there with or without the sink. I'm not a super huge fan of the suction on stuff as they never seem to work very well for me.

I'd want to make sure the shower curtain covers the toilet. What a pain that would be to dry it off all the time.

The bed fits!!!! That's a major concern for me and I was very pleased with it. Poor Tom did not quite realize what I meant when I warned him I'd be flopping on the bed. Now he does - it means I'm laying on that bed to see if it fits me. And flopping around from side to side and flinging my feet around to make sure they don't hang over the edge.

I can see the advantage of adding another cabinet on top of the one already there by the foot of the bed. I'm not a "watch TV in bed" sort of person and using my laptop at the dinette would work just fine for my DVDs. But seeing it in person made me realize the advantage of that modification. Spend money on the extra cabinet/shelves/drawers, but save money on not getting any of the TV stuff.

One thing that did not thrill me in the least and I'm wondering what others have done to overcome this. When you sit in the dinette (standard, not u-shaped), how do you keep from banging your shoulder into the bottom of the curtain holder? Holy Cow - first thing I did was bang my shoulder in it. Not impressed, to put it mildly.

This happened when I sat with my back to the back wall so I could see what it was like to watch TV from across the trailer. I probably would not sit that way very often as it was too short for my feet and I wouldn't sit there with bent knees for very long.

I'm quite interested to see how it works with a u-shaped dinette, which I'll eventually see at the factory (decided not to attend the rally so I can save that money towards a trailer!).

AND - I did not know the dinette table shifts from side to side to make it easier to get in and out!!!! WOW!!!! (Yeah, okay, I have not read all the threads here, but this is something that should be mentioned on their web site - holy cow!!! That was cooler than cool!)

We were there for 2.5 hours so we got a very thorough understanding of the 21' specifically and differences between it and the other sizes we're interested in. On Sunday we're viewing the 19' and 5.0TA. (Don't worry owners, I don't expect to spend that long at each of your trailers.) Gotta charge up the camera battery as one died while we were there.

Today we're swinging by the local dealer that has some R-Pods, just so Dirk can see the difference between what we saw last night and what I initially started looking at several weeks ago. He's an engineer; he sees construction stuff that I miss. He'll recognize the differences right away. Yeah, I think I can toss the R-Pod brochure - oh wait, did that earlier in the week!

Tom - many from Dirk and I
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Oh, I should add that I was able to remove quite a few things from my 3 page, legal size, printed landscape Excel file on various options available for the trailers.

We went over it last night and between the two of us we whittled it down quite a bit. Many items crossed off. Others with a check mark, meaning it's a "must-have".

I'm also putting on things that would be nice for us to add, such as a clipped on flashlight next to the door, which Tom had. Good idea!

Seeing that trailer in person made a huge difference to my way of thinking. We're both looking forward to our Sunday viewings.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
My exact thought when I stepped into the 21 for the first time was, oh wow. Cathy had already made up her mind the minute she saw it also. Our build sheet is now due as the time flew by and we are down to the wire. Crystal will be back in the office on Tuesday and we will finalize the build sheet with just a couple of questions. Then will Fed-Ex it with the check. The exchange rate is starting to backslide in the Canadian's favor. I will post the final results and the reasons for yay or nay later. Was up in Iowa farming for the last three weeks and and am running behind on everything. As NW Cat Owner and everyone else is finding out, the old remodeling rule applies here also. Whatever you think it is going to cost, your wrong. It is going to cost more. And then there's a new tow vehicle to go with it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I can see the advantage of adding another cabinet on top of the one already there by the foot of the bed. I'm not a "watch TV in bed" sort of person and using my laptop at the dinette would work just fine for my DVDs. But seeing it in person made me realize the advantage of that modification. Spend money on the extra cabinet/shelves/drawers, but save money on not getting any of the TV stuff.
That little piece of counter-top is one of the most valuable pieces of real-estate in our trailer. Recharging station for phones, tablets, laptops, cameras, Kindles, etc.; a place to toss camera bags, purses, maps, magazines, books, basically anything you want to set down, but have quick access to goes there. I even sit on the end of the bed and use it as a desk for my laptop.

The kitchen counter is for cooking related things only and our table is off limits for putting things down on as we have to set up as a bed every night for the kids and we need to be able to sit four at the table, so for us having that little table is one of our favourite things about the 21!
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and you can make that little space bigger with a flip up table in that location.....as seen here....
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
NW Cat owner

OMG! You are a hoot!

Glad you were able to see a trailer in person and answer some of your questions!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
Cleaning/drying off the toilet in our 19 was a hassle. Now we just open a 33 gallon garbage sack and place it over the toilet...shake it off outside after the shower, squeegee the walls (if you're OCD), and we're done., Easy...
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefttee View Post
Cleaning/drying off the toilet in our 19 was a hassle. Now we just open a 33 gallon garbage sack and place it over the toilet...shake it off outside after the shower, squeegee the walls (if you're OCD), and we're done., Easy...
Love that...that's what I'm going to do, too!
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Lots more room in the bathroom than I thought there would be. Not even sure if I'd need to remove the sink, so that was great to see. However, since then my mind has been pondering all the ways to put shampoo, soap, etc in there with or without the sink. I'm not a super huge fan of the suction on stuff as they never seem to work very well for me.
There has been discussion in this forum of adhesive hooks, including which adhesives are removable (such as 3M's Command series) and whether they work in a wet environent. Some selective searching (I would try "command hook shower site:www.escapeforum.org" in Google to start) should be educational.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
3M makes Command hooks for the wet environment. If you Google 3M Command you will find all of the products that they offer.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
3M makes Command hooks for the wet environment. If you Google 3M Command you will find all of the products that they offer.
That's what we use. Command Soap Dish, Toothbrush holder, caddy, and they work very well.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
Amazon.com - Better Living Classic Three Chamber Dispenser, White - Shower Dispensers
The item i used in my 5.0 bath room
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
We have several 3M Command products in use on 7th Heaven,

In the Bath,

Soap Dish

Tooth Brush

Everything Else ( with 5 in the family there is lots of Else )

We have just added a few caddies along the back wall of the Bath, here is how the others are located

7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
I like that, since I use Dr Bronner's liquid soap it would be ideal. 3 dispensers? Hmm, maybe one could be for my Crown Royal.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
Love that...that's what I'm going to do, too!
While viewing the 19 footer today, Rich said he read the comment about putting the trash bag over the toilet and decided they would do the same. Great idea and easy to use!

Thanks for sharing that tip.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
We have one like this at home and just love it. Good to know you were able to put one in your trailer. I will add that to my ever-expanding spreadsheet. Took a bunch of stuff off that list, but added a bunch of ideas after the tours today.

And thanks to others for their comments on the Command hooks. I got to see some in person between the 3 trailer tours, as well as another brand that I need to find out what they were.

A whole new world out there that I'm now learning more about.