King bed in 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
King bed in 5.0TA

Hi all,

Quick question. I contacted Escape to see if the lower corner cabinets by the head of the bed could be removed and a king mattress installed. This is the reply:

"Yes, the corner floor cubbies/cabinets in the bed area of the 5.0TA Escape can be removed, I’m just not certain a king size mattress will fit. You would also have to provide your own mattress as we don’t offer king size mattress options."

So my question to you new 5.0TA owners. Would a king size mattress fit up there if it were ordered without the cabinets? If so what is the total width of the upper platform?

Thank you very much!

Joe
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Don't have a 5.0TA, so take my opinion for what it's worth: you'll like the queen mattress with the space on the sides. Plenty of room, and making the bed will be much easier.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
From building our own mattess I know you can have your foundation be in two pieces and then have it glued together in place. Then you do the other layers as you choose, whether it be an all latex topper or memory foam or a combination of both as we did.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Man, I am just happy to have a queen. Robert is right, it would certainly be tough to make up the bed. We use the sides for lots of stuff, my guitar is on my side. I have plans to make some nice side tables there too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
The Queen mattress topper I am using is 60 X 80 and it seems narrow. I don't think a King 76 X 80 would fit but it is wide enough for a California King which is 72 X 84. Not sure about the length. I thought of trying a Cal King but decided a Queen is the best size. I put stuff along the sides also. At the foot of the mattress I put a pool noodle over a 1/2" pvc pipe to hold the mattress tight against the head and not slip around. It is also easy on the knees when crawling in and out of the bed at night. I really like the cubbies and use them for stuff like the car key fob for using the alarm, tissues and an air horn.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
You would likely need to be more aware of the top cupboards, as you would be at times directly under them so as to not hit your head. Love the space on the side- wouldn't want to give that up.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hmmm,
I wonder what the pin weight would be with a king mattress up there, those babies are not light.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
You would likely need to be more aware of the top cupboards, as you would be at times directly under them so as to not hit your head. Love the space on the side- wouldn't want to give that up.
Good thought. I have bumped them as it is a few times. Sure wouldn't want to give them up either. I would not have any clothes otherwise.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Yup, it fits, but....

When we got our TA we decided we’d buy a new king mattress for the house and take our old one and put in in the TA. It is two high dollar 3” foam layers within a zip up cover. I got out the electric knife and cut 2 notches out of the top of the mattress and put it in between the 2 cubbyholes, had to tailor the cover but my wife is a quilter and that was no big deal. I WAS going to remove the cubbys but the bride wanted to keep them, and I must admit they are handy for glasses, a flashlight and my kindle reader. With the king mattress there is still 4-5” per side to put stuff like a throw pillow or your shoes at the end of the bed. Two heads on pillows still fit in that spot up there, and shoulders and waists still have the king room. Yup, that mattress is probably more weight than a sprung mattress, but I’m not sure I could shoehorn a traditional king spring mattress up there, the foam rolls up a bit and with ratchet straps holding in all together, it’s not too hard to get it in there. You’ll find that the big adjustment to sleeping in the TA is making sure you locate those upper cabinets when your head pops up! And it’s still no joy to make the bed, no matter what mattress you got up there, LOL! But to your basic question, no cubbyholes, no problem for king mattress....
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
Thanks for all the replies!! You guys provided great info, and many thoughts to ponder! We haven't decided to jump at a TA (yet), but I like to have all my research done!

It sounds like the best option for us would be to keep the factory cuddies in place. After reading your posts, I can see how they would be handy and why everybody likes them! I also like the cut to fit foam idea. Sounds like what we will do when we make the jump is to leave as is from Escape and use the queen, then if we want to grow - maybe try the cut foam option. We really like our king size at home, but have smaller then queen in the current egg and it works ok too.

Thanks again!!
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote