Kitchen Sink - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thanks - don't know why it didn't show up in my search.

That thread is about the drain piping (which has problems irrelevant to an Escape owner), and only incidentally mentions the venting/overflow, so I'll just Donna's word for it being an overflow at floor level... although it appears to be just a bypass between sections of vent piping, with no outlet. I only read 8 pages before skipping to the end, but the funniest/saddest thing I saw was that people are going directly from the Casita factory where they pick up their brand new trailer to a shop where they have the defective drain plumbing fixed.

I have to hand it to those Casita owners for willingness to do work on their trailers. Also, there are so many Casitas out there that there's a whole aftermarket industry to support them - sometimes there are advantages in numbers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This was the piece Brian, from the first post:
In a nutshell, the mod must include all the following steps:
1. The gray tank MUST be vented using the standard revent tube many of us have already installed

Which is the picture I showed of the overflow.

I agree, there are tons of folks who immediately go to Larry's to fix/modify their brand new Casitas. In fact Larry quit a perfectly good job to work on Casitas full time. Serious business.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
"One man's mistakes are another's vocation!"- just made that one up!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
The Casita grey tank is amidship, and the shower is in the front.

As one who has both stepped into a shower full of grey water with the valve open and the tank getting too full

and

found himself butt naked ankle deep in a shower with the valve closed (valve is OUTSIDE on older Casitas)

the hepvo valve was a welcome mod.

Not an issue that I know of on the Escape.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:50 PM   #25

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Thinking of a different kitchen sink

Quote:
There have been some responses from folks wanting double sinks or different sinks than provided from ETI. But, has anyone actually done it?

Plotting and planning.

TIA
Restarting this thread in the hopes that I can find someone who has put a different sink in the kitchen of their Escape. ETI has informed me that they will do this and I have started looking at some choices. The questions are how deep and how big and where to buy? Never having had a trailer before I am at a lost on where to start. Thanks to all.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #26

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Many people have had custom sinks put into their trailers. Some have even gotten double sinks. This is one I found on Amazon that I'd love to have if it will fit.

The things I like about it include:

1. It's larger and deeper. I believe it would fit if installed with a HEPVO valve.

2. It accommodates a single hole faucet on a corner. This reduces the depth of the countertop vs the sink.

3. The rim is raised a tiny bit, directing water back into the sink.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I went with a double stainless, which ETI provided, same as at home but smaller basins.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Restarting this thread in the hopes that I can find someone who has put a different sink in the kitchen of their Escape. ETI has informed me that they will do this and I have started looking at some choices. The questions are how deep and how big and where to buy? Never having had a trailer before I am at a lost on where to start. Thanks to all.
Lots and lots of options, and lots of factors that go into your choice.

As I mostly boondock, and most often do dishes outside in a dishpan, for the galley sink I am looking for something as small as possible to save water and counter space, yet large enough for the task at hand.

We have also used the dishpan inside, which works if you have a large sink and want to preserve water.

The deeper the sink, the more space it takes up below, and if you only use say 4" of water, there is no need for deep.

I had a heck of a time finding a sink to match my preferences. I wanted a square one to match the Dickinson stove top I had, be the right size to fit a dishpan, and not be too deep. Unfortunately most sinks the size I was looking for were bar prep sinks and quite deep. I finally settled on the Ruvati RVH7110. It is 14 x 18 x 8 inches. I wanted something a bit smaller, but could not find one I liked as much.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I went with a double stainless, which ETI provided, same as at home but smaller basins.
How do you like it? We have one in our temporary kitchen and find that it is a counter space hog. My wife would much rather have counter for when she does food prep inside. We have used the trailer a lot this summer, but have never used the second sink other than for placing a rack in for washed dishes, something we just put on the counter in our 19.

But, we all use our trailers and its components in differing ways. Makes them all unique in one way or another.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Some good friends have done it, so I considered it; but FOR US I decided the stainless sink ETI uses is the perfect size: it holds a Rubbermaid dishpan, which I use most of the time. If I ever need double sink space, I can put a dishpan on the counter. A little awkward, maybe, yes, but it's not something that's needed very often, and I'd rather have that counter space for other things, 95% of the time. YMMV...

FWIW, I have 4 of those dish pans, and they are handy for lots of things (corralling objects in the under-bed storage area, catching the drip from the air conditioner or leaky city water connection, rain runoff the awning, etc., etc. etc.) Sometimes I wish I had 6 of them.

For drying dishes, I have a folding rack that I got from Camping World eons ago. It sits on top of the stove cover when deployed, keeping the clean dishes off the counter while they drain. I don't even use it unless there are a lot of dishes: usually I just let things drain on a cup towel.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #31

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i find doing dishes difficult in my 17b water gets every where i can wash but where do i rinse and then where do i put drying dishes. its one of the things i haven't worked out yet i like the idea of a double sink (bigger trailer) and i would like the sink to be further from my bed! haven't gotten the doing them outside concept worked out either -carrying hot water and rinse water outside or from the other side of the trailer i usually spill everywhere.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Stainless stock sink on the 19 has been fine. I wouldn't want to lose any more cabinet space for anything deeper and there wouldn't be much that I could put in that would be smaller.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Dishes

We use a tea kettle with a snap lid to carry water outside either hot or cold. I've never watched how dishes are done on the inside but I know my wife rinses them and uses a wire or plastic drying rack and a dish draining rubber mat that drains to the sink. We have division of duties. Man. = Fire, Water and Firewater. Woman = Dishes, Laundry and Whip.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Everything is a trade off. One of the best decisions I made for myself was having ETI put in the Prep sink. Yes it's deeper, I still have plenty of cupboard space underneath, it's wider, I turned the 2-burner stove to portrait to gain back any lost counterspace. NIRVANA. I do all my cooking inside.

I totally relate to Kate mentioning getting water everywhere. Oh my stars, I slopped water everywhere in my Scamp. What a flippin' soggy mess. No more, not ever. I've even washed my hair in the sink and can keep both elbows inside the sink which means no water running off my arms and onto the floor. Works for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Sink_TenForward.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
With a tip of the hat to NW Cat Owner (Laura) we purchased the Blanco Granite Bar Sink and love it!! Looks fabulous after a whole 2 months!!

https://www.amazon.com/Blanco-440204...hracite+Finish
Attached Thumbnails
61OHSGuuCGL._SL1000_.jpg  
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
How do you like it? We have one in our temporary kitchen and find that it is a counter space hog. My wife would much rather have counter for when she does food prep inside. We have used the trailer a lot this summer, but have never used the second sink other than for placing a rack in for washed dishes, something we just put on the counter in our 19.

But, we all use our trailers and its components in differing ways. Makes them all unique in one way or another.
The boss would not be without. We also find even with the 3 burner, that we have plenty of counter space. The counter extension and sink covers make it a non issue. Table is all of 12"'s away too. Goes to show you, different folks, different strokes.

We have yet to use 3 burners, so it's really a 2 burner with a spare. We're not much for elaborate meals when we're traveling, when we want something like that we look for a good local restaurant.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Smile

Quote:
Everything is a trade off. One of the best decisions I made for myself was having ETI put in the Prep sink. Yes it's deeper, I still have plenty of cupboard space underneath, it's wider, I turned the 2-burner stove to portrait to gain back any lost counterspace. NIRVANA. I do all my cooking inside.

I totally relate to Kate mentioning getting water everywhere. Oh my stars, I slopped water everywhere in my Scamp. What a flippin' soggy mess. No more, not ever. I've even washed my hair in the sink and can keep both elbows inside the sink which means no water running off my arms and onto the floor. Works for me!
Donna, I can wash my hair with the volume of water in a teacup, dry it with one paper towel sheet, and "fix" it with a comb in 15 seconds. Of course sunburn is the trade off if I can't find my hat.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #38

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Long, long time ago I got the following measurements from ETI and was told to stay within this range for any sink that we wanted.

"You are correct, a bar sink rather than a standard kitchen sink, is what we can install. The double sink that we offer is 24 ˝” x 14 ˝” and 5”-6” deep – I would stay within that range and be sure to send a photo/weblink with specs prior to purchasing or shipping the sink. If there is a weight consideration then we can address it when we have all of the specs. "

And yep, that's the sink we're getting that Nathan just posted! I was so thrilled when I found that sink. I knew I wanted a black sink but wasn't super thrilled about the shiny ones I was finding within the size requirement. During a visit to Pioneer Building, we saw a larger version of that sink and did some research. Pioneer ordered it and it's actually now at ETI awaiting our build.

Before deciding on any sink, it's always smart/safe to double check with ETI on whether it'll work or not. Even if it's one someone else has already used, as you just never know. I also found out they won't mount any sink that's an undermount (I think that's what it's called).

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #39

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
With a tip of the hat to NW Cat Owner (Laura) we purchased the Blanco Granite Bar Sink and love it!! Looks fabulous after a whole 2 months!!

I'm so looking forward to that sink. We're getting the same countertop that Nathan has, so it was thrilling to see what it looked like in his trailer. Ack, the wait, the wait!

We're getting the sink turned so the opening for the faucet (also from Blanco) will be on the left instead of the right. I figured I'd bonk into it less in that position. At the end of December I can tell you if that's a true statement or not.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Donna, I can wash my hair with the volume of water in a teacup, dry it with one paper towel sheet, and "fix" it with a comb in 15 seconds. Of course sunburn is the trade off if I can't find my hat.
Hi: Iowa Dave... I wonder why no one ever thought of putting SPF 60 in Brylcreem? Remember... "A little dab'll do ya"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote