Kitchen Sink - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Kitchen Sink

There have been some responses from folks wanting double sinks or different sinks than provided from ETI. But, has anyone actually done it?

Plotting and planning.

TIA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Donna, we thought about a double, since we now have the counter space (21'), but we didn't like what the double sink would do to the storage space underneath. We are open to a larger single in the future, if needed.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
Donna, we thought about a double, since we now have the counter space (21'), but we didn't like what the double sink would do to the storage space underneath. We are open to a larger single in the future, if needed.
Understood. I was reading a thread over on the CasitaForum, where an owner suggested using a handicap trap and hepvo valve. This is for a single drain, I wonder if there's one for a double drain. Hummm.
Attached Thumbnails
Handicaplavdrain.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I don't see a functional trap in the picture, not even a little one. How does it work? Could the trap be located outside the under-sink area?
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I don't see a functional trap in the picture, not even a little one. How does it work? Could the trap be located outside the under-sink area?
The trap, would be a hepvo. The image was just to show the handicap drain.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Your post is very timely Donna. Could I ask for someone (or several) to measure their sinks (width - height - depth). I am also interested in the sink size since I find most RV sinks far too small ... but I also do not want a double sink. If I can get some dimensions I can research what is available and change the sink in the build sheet if I find a better size for us on our 19'.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I assume that the "handicap trap" is just a sharp elbow, to keep the drain from hanging down in the way of a wheelchair user. They are presumably used with a conventional trap mounted against (or in) the wall or below the floor - obviously in the trailer under the floor or in the wall would not work, but the trap could still be against the wall, minimizing the loss of useful storage space. Drains for two sinks would presumably just meet in a Y, before the trap (conventional or Hepvo).

I would prefer two sinks, but not of similar size - one big for dishes, the other small just to be available (for handwashing or to dump waste water) when the main sink is in use.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
FWIW I'm told the double that Reace will install is an Atlas #573-2, but I'll be darned if I can find what that is. I don't live close enough to pick one up of my choice and deliver it.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #9
Site Team

This is a crappy image for a double sink, but I visualize the hepvo where the cursor is, discharge near the back wall.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hepvo-02.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	5081
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hepvo-01.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	5080
Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Your post is very timely Donna. Could I ask for someone (or several) to measure their sinks (width - height - depth). I am also interested in the sink size since I find most RV sinks far too small ... but I also do not want a double sink. If I can get some dimensions I can research what is available and change the sink in the build sheet if I find a better size for us on our 19'.
I'd like the counter measurement from underneath. The cabinet is framed, so the top surface may not give an accurate measurement for a sink.

Ian, I'm looking into a prep sink.

Length (Inches)17.0Width (Inches)19.125

Lowes Franke Prep sink
Old 03-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #11

Okay Donna, we're thinking of about the same thing. Two notes on your photo example:
  • I don't think a P-trap against the wall would make much difference to usable storage space, but the Hepvo would work, too.
  • that tee probably won't flow very well, and will tend to send waste water to the other sink before the drain; why not route one sink drain straight back, and Y the other one into it? This is probably not a big deal.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
Site Team

I'm certainly not a plumber, photos from the WWW. I just was posting that info for those that decided a double sink would cause problems with storage, when I know it doesn't have to be that way and there are off the shelf solutions. I know one of Larry Gamble's most asked for mods is the hepvo, so water never backs up into sinks/showers when the gray water tank is full. Win, win, win.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm certainly not a plumber, photos from the WWW. I just was posting that info for those that decided a double sink would cause problems with storage, when I know it doesn't have to be that way and there are off the shelf solutions.
That makes two of us!
I do my own plumbing, but I'm not the expert... just a guy who has spent a lot of time in plumbing aisles to find the right thing to make an installation work. There are a lot of pieces out there, and they can be configured in many ways, many of which are not right.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I'm certainly not a plumber, photos from the WWW. I just was posting that info for those that decided a double sink would cause problems with storage, when I know it doesn't have to be that way and there are off the shelf solutions. I know one of Larry Gamble's most asked for mods is the hepvo, so water never backs up into sinks/showers when the gray water tank is full. Win, win, win.
Where does the grey water go then?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Outside, overflow tube or vent. Obviously needs to be installed
Old 03-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Usually the grey water coming up the shower is just a problem when driving around with a full (but not overflowing) grey tank, so there isn't any extra to go anywhere... it stays in the tank and attached piping, and just doesn't slosh into the shower. The other solution (other than the Hepvo) to this is a manually operated waste valve between the shower drain and the tank, as used on some other brands of egg. This is unpleasant if you forget to close it and drive with a full tank, or forget to open it and take a shower.

If you do actually slightly overfill the grey tank, it will come out the lowest place it can find (we have hit that occasionally in our motorhome, when it comes up into the shower). The drain piping will fill up right to the sink, which obviously wouldn't drain anymore so you will stop adding. Any vent should be above the sink (just as in a building) so the level should never reach there. If "cheater" vents with one-way valves are used under the sink level, that's putting a lot of faith in the valve to hold the waste water in; they are really just supposed to let air in, and not let gasses out.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
Site Team

I'm most familar with the vent Gene put into the gray water tank of his Casita and Larry does it as part of the fast gray draining mod. As soon as the water reaches the top of the tank, it will flow to the outside. And because there's a vent, the air is pushed to the outside as water fills the tank. There's a 21 page thread on the Casita forum, if you're interested.
Attached Thumbnails
greytankvent2.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
There is a vent, but it is up about midway up above the floor level, though this would be lower than a backed up sink. The shower has a plug that pretty much stays in ours all the time, and just pulled the few times we use it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm most familar with the vent Gene put into the gray water tank of his Casita and Larry does it as part of the fast gray draining mod. As soon as the water reaches the top of the tank, it will flow to the outside.
That's called an "overflow", and overflowing directly outside when the user doesn't even realize it - and may just continue to use the sink or shower indefinitely - certainly does not seem like a responsible design. If you fill a tank set up this way - just short of overflow - and start towing it will likely slop waste water out the overflow port as soon as you turn a corner.

Quote:
And because there's a vent, the air is pushed to the outside as water fills the tank. There's a 21 page thread on the Casita forum, if you're interested.
There should always be a vent to allow proper drainage down the waste pipes, and as Jim described there is one in an Escape. The vents (one each for grey and black waste tanks) exit through the roof in my 1979 Boler, 2003 stick-built fifth-wheel, and 2010 motorhome... this is not a new RV feature.

I didn't find the Casita thread (in Casita Forum), despite Google searching for keywords such as "fast drain", so I'll just assume that a Casita comes with improper venting from the factory, and this is one of the things that Casita owners commonly do to fix the trailer to be properly usable.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
....I didn't find the Casita thread (in Casita Forum), despite Google searching for keywords such as "fast drain",...
Fast Gray Draining - CasitaForum