Leaky black water tank under bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Leaky black water tank under bed

Anybody have problems with leakage from the three inch pipe that connects to the black water tank under the bed. We just discovered with our 2017, 21 foot that we purchased in May 2017, we are having this problem. We are in process of contacting Escape about it. I'm sure they will be good to help us.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Anybody have problems with leakage from the three inch pipe that connects to the black water tank under the bed. We just discovered with our 2017, 21 foot that we purchased in May 2017, we are having this problem. We are in process of contacting Escape about it. I'm sure they will be good to help us.
I had a leak at the black tank/pipe junction my first few months of ownership, which I discovered 3 days before leaving on a 4 month trip. Escape sent me a package of repair parts and said they would pay for a plumber to install them - but there was no way for us to wait until the parts arrived and a plumber to do the work. The solution for me was to make my own repair.

To start, I removed all the wood bed slats over the tank and pipe for easy access. Then I assembled the repair parts from my various tool boxes. In the first photo you will see black "tape" putty, stretchy silicone tape, and a high-quality hose clamp. After cleaning and drying the leak I forced a bead of putty into the joint (photo 2). Then wrapped with a couple of turns of stretchy tape (photo 3). Finally, installed the hose clamp over the first two layers for good measure (photo 4).

This has held up for 3+ years and I trust it will last a good long time. But I still have the box of repair parts "just in case".
--
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
0_parts.jpg   1_before.jpg   2_putty.jpg   3_taped.jpg   4_hose_clamp.jpg  

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Since this tank involves unpressurized contents, a simple fix shown should suffice since gravity is the only item that needs to be channeled.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:54 PM   #4

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...gravity is the only item that needs to be channeled.
That must be that black lumpy gravity.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Escape video Leaky Black Tank

https://youtu.be/q6k_2SgArds

Another Escape Video

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #6

I wonder why the black tank video is being produced, I do not like the idea of trying to fix mine after it is put into use nor have I heard of but only two owners having an issue. Hoping for the best......
Old 03-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I’m sure they have this figured out and corrected on the trailers coming off the line now. This fix doesn’t look so bad on the bench but under the bed platform is another story. Half the job is probably clearing a way to do the work.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I wonder why the black tank video is being produced, I do not like the idea of trying to fix mine after it is put into use nor have I heard of but only two owners having an issue.
Since Reace went to the trouble of working out a solution and making the video, it seems unlikely that there have been only two failures. The 21' is a popular model, so even if only a few percent of them built over a few months have a problem, that's more than a couple of trailers.

This is essentially what the automotive industry would call a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), in video form. A TSB is part of a normal response by a competent and responsible manufacturer to the identification of a repeated problem found in vehicles after they have reached customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I’m sure they have this figured out and corrected on the trailers coming off the line now.
Since it was just an improperly sealed joint, I'm sure it has been resolved. On the other hand, at least one of the flexible couplings used in the repair would likely be a good component to use from the beginning, to relieve bending stress on that joint due to relative motion as everything bumps and twists down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This fix doesn’t look so bad on the bench but under the bed platform is another story. Half the job is probably clearing a way to do the work.
Thus Reace's comments about removing as much length of the original pipe as possible, to provide working room.

An alternative might be to make one cut in the ABS piping near the tank but the second cut further away from the tank, on the other side of the elbow, providing much more working room. The end result would have one rubber coupling near the tank and the second rubber coupling between the elbows, rather than both couplings jammed against each other by the tank. This could be done with the same parts provided by ETI in the repair kit.

Reace explains the need to keep the sealant off the area of the first ABS fitting to be glued; I would consider masking off that area with tape while working with the sealant, to be safe.

I find one thing about the assembly of this plumbing interesting: I've never heard of a caulk-like product like that (either the original which Alan showed, or the white product which Reace shows in the repair) being used as pipe thread sealant. I would have more faith in a sealant intended for this purpose; it is a normal threaded plumbing joint, so any sealant intended for pipe threads and compatible with both materials (ABS and whatever the tank fitting is, perhaps HDPE) should be suitable. I wonder if the original problem was that joints were not being adequately tightened, due to interference by the type of sealant used?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I find one thing about the assembly of this plumbing interesting: I've never heard of a caulk-like product like that (either the original which Alan showed, or the white product which Reace shows in the repair) being used as pipe thread sealant. I would have more faith in a sealant intended for this purpose;
To elaborate a bit on the sealant I used...
It is not intended to be used on threads or in the pipe joint, rather, to be applied on the outside of the pipe. I used it because I had some handy (no time to do a proper repair) and because it was easily molded to the gap that was leaking. The red stretchy tape must be used otherwise the sealant would probably just fall off. Neither the sealant nor the tape have any adhesive qualities.

Normally this stuff is used to keep moisture from moving inwards. I took a gamble that it would keep moisture from moving outwards. Seems to be working after 3 years.

--
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
coax-seal.jpg  
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
To elaborate a bit on the sealant I used...
It is not intended to be used on threads or in the pipe joint, rather, to be applied on the outside of the pipe. I used it because I had some handy (no time to do a proper repair) and because it was easily molded to the gap that was leaking. The red stretchy tape must be used otherwise the sealant would probably just fall off. Neither the sealant nor the tape have any adhesive qualities.
That makes sense, for the purpose that it was used.

What puzzles me is using a caulk within and around a tapered pipe thread, which should have no problem sealing properly with the normal thread sealant and nothing around the joint.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:40 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hi Brian

I agree, normal thread sealant should work...but it doesn’t. For years we have had success using proflex, however if it is not applied correctly, it can fail.

Having Northern Lite Campers now as a ‘sister company’ has allowed us more freedom to share ideas back and forth and this is one thing we have changed as a result. We now use a Sikaflex product to seal the joints.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Not as bad an issue, but reminds me of the Scamp 16 black tank valve a few years ago that would fall off shortly after picking up the trailers. One of our good friends had his fall off at the Bandon gathering and his black tank emptied onto the campsite, of course, at the end of the stay.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Hi Reace,

When did ETI start using Sikaflex product to seal the joints? Thanks.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
Hi Reace,

When did ETI start using Sikaflex product to seal the joints? Thanks.
I would imagine since these 2 companies joined, less than 6 months ago.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
I agree, normal thread sealant should work...but it doesn’t. For years we have had success using proflex, however if it is not applied correctly, it can fail.
Thanks Reace

Do you know why there is a problem? Is it perhaps that with trailer motion the pipe is taking bending stress, and pulling the threaded joint apart? That's why I was thinking that a rubber coupling could fix the root problem.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:23 AM   #16
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Thank you.. this might explain the bit of bad smell we always get when opening the underbed cabinets.. will look to see if something is leaky tomorrow
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Thank you.. this might explain the bit of bad smell we always get when opening the underbed cabinets.. will look to see if something is leaky tomorrow
I get a smell as well when I open the underbed storage. To me it smells like that chemical outgassing smell you get in a new trailer. But my trailer is several years old now and my sense of smell is poor, having been shorted out on the farm during childhood. So it might be the tank/pipe after all. Eeww. Perhaps something heavy stored under the bed banged into it. I've been concerned about that.

In French Camp, MS
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Not as bad an issue, but reminds me of the Scamp 16 black tank valve a few years ago that would fall off shortly after picking up the trailers. One of our good friends had his fall off at the Bandon gathering and his black tank emptied onto the campsite, of course, at the end of the stay.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hi Brian

Having Northern Lite Campers now as a ‘sister company’ has allowed us more freedom to share ideas back and forth and this is one thing we have changed as a result. We now use a Sikaflex product to seal the joints.

Reace
Does anyone know the specific Sikaflex product?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Does anyone know the specific Sikaflex product?
From Reace’s repair video (link in post #5) you can see that it is Sikaflex 221.

https://www.amazon.com/Sikaflex-221-...79841334&psc=1