Lesson Learned- True Bear Story For Those Heading North in 2022 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2022, 01:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Lesson Learned- True Bear Story For Those Heading North in 2022

Three years ago we made a side trip off the Cassiar highway to Hyder, AK. for a Halibut dinner. On the way back to the Cassiar on 37A, at around 10 P.M. (still light) we stopped at a rest stop that had two vault toilets. No one else there so I parked very close to the facilities. I was approaching the vault toilet door and something caught my eye right next to the toilet. I was staring into some big brown eyes. I backed up and stupidly stood behind my car door to look closer. It was a large grizzly foraging next to the toilet. He was hidden by the tall grass. I got in the car and we just watched him for a spell. He then walked out in front of us and continued eating. Probably a 1000 lbs on him. Never displayed any aggression. But.......my point is NEVER EVER assume the tall grass in and around the rest stops are danger free......He could have had me in a second. I was literally 4 feet from those big eyes.... If you're headed into Canada and or Alaska this summer, please give this some thought. Take care and don't assume anything when it comes to bears unless it's to assume they are close...very close
USMCJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I do a lot of back country hiking and have come close to grizzly bears and black bears. A couple of years ago our group was charged by a momma grizzly while hiking into Mt. Assiniboine. We let off a couple of bear bangers and she finally stopped. Anytime I am in bear country I always yell out "Hey Yogi" to alert the bears. I always carry bear spray, bear horn and bear bangers. If you go with bear bangers spend some time practising with them first. They launch a pretty good distance and you don't want to let it go off behind the bear scaring him/her towards you.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Thanks. I intend to but some bangers. Do you know if Canada Border folks will allow them in ?
USMCJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:26 PM   #4

I am not sure if they are allowed in or not, but my guess is they would be. They are not a fire arm, simply a pen looking device with a small charge you screw into the pen. All it does is go bang, so I can't see how they would have a problem with them.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:31 PM   #5

Just another note. Bear Bangers are prohibited for use n Canada's National Parks. They are allowed as far as I know in Provincial Parks. They are also banned in the City of Vancouver, but that makes total sense. You don't need a license or permit to buy them
Old 05-22-2022, 05:16 PM   #6

These air horns are very effective as well. Easier to use than a bear banger. Comes with a nice little holster you can attach to your belt or pack

https://kodiakcanada.com/collections/noisemakers
Old 05-22-2022, 05:16 PM   #7

The holster is a $3.00 option
Old 05-22-2022, 10:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
These air horns are very effective as well. Easier to use than a bear banger. Comes with a nice little holster you can attach to your belt or pack

https://kodiakcanada.com/collections/noisemakers
In Big Bend - Chisos Basin - the campground hosts were issued air horns. The local bear (called Bart Simpson because of attitude issues) totally ignored sounds and any of the usual bear tricks. Even when I chased him with the campground truck - he just stepped of the road and gave me the finger.

What did work was tossing small branches and gravel. He ran for the nearest tree and prepared to climb it. Just to be clear - we were throwing small items so as to not hurt the bear. But my guess is that from the bear's perspective having things thrown is absolutely foreign; totally outside his experience.

Should this not work for you - have a plan "B".
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
I would no longer have needed the vault toilet after that encounter.
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote