leveling a tandem axle trailer - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2022, 11:08 AM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#5 E19, ECD 5/22.
Now, back to leveling a tandem axle trailer........

Old 01-14-2022, 06:49 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 E19' - 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Now, back to leveling a tandem axle trailer........
OK. Sounds like a Great Idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
Has anyone on the forum used these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPC57T7

They appear to be nylon reinforced and perhaps more robust than the Andersen version.

Any experience?
I got these Beech Lane rocking leveler ramps a couple of years ago, shortened them both by a few inches (since I wanted the front and rear axles to rise at the same rates to the same heights in unison, OCD?), and have used them a few times - on dirt, gravel, and pavement. Concerned about slippage since the rocker ramps and the chocking wedges are smooth hard surfaces, I first lay my unused Escape mud flaps on the ground.*

I then place the thin rubber sheets (that came with the ramps) on top of the Escape mud flaps, position the rocker ramps atop these 2 layers of rubber, then move the trailer forward or backward onto the rocker ramps till it's level side-to-side, allowing the ramps to rock as they see fit, then I lift up the unweighted edge of each thin sheet and insert the chocking wedges so they're pinched between the top surfaces of the Escape mud flaps and the bottom surfaces of the thin rubber sheets so they can't squeeze out like a watermelon seed pinched between 2 wet fingers. And then finally it's 'brakes off' in neutral and let everything mush forward or backward to allow the ramps and trailer wheels to settle into their happy places. This puts grippy rubber surfaces between all the hard slippery surfaces and I have never had any slippage issues. So from bottom to top, it's Escape mud flap, thin rubber sheet, ramp on top, and the chocking wedge between the 2 rubber sheets. This all sounds like it's a lot of trouble, but it's really not bad at all. And it looks all modern and clean and high tech, unlike using clunky bright orange and yellow plastic blocks and chocks, although Your Taste May Vary.

I still carry a stack of the good old orange plastic interlocking blocks and use a few of them for the typical easy leveling job, for which they work great, but for those really tilted sites that require a good bit of lift, the leveler ramps work great. Looking at the Camco 44423 ramps (which I don't think were around when I got the Beech Lane ramps), it looks like they might sort of lock together with each other thereby obviating the need for the rubber mats. They are apparently quite a bit shorter so no need to shorten them for use with dual axles (?), and have rubber grippers on the bottoms of the chocks. I suppose all of these are subject to breakage (especially if subjected to shocks, heavy loads, and/or very cold temperatures). The Beech Lane ramps have some bad reviews on Amazon w.r.t. breakage issues. The rocking ramp scenario does take up a good bit of storage space, and the Beech Lane ramps are pretty heavy as well.

* I had Escape not install them on the trailer since I didn't want any unnecessary holes in the shell, didn't really want water and road slime to stay trapped between the flaps and the shell, wanted to be able to apply 3M clear protective film to the wheel wells without any obstructions, and anyhow as a matter of policy I never leave behind anything that I might be able to use later, but I digress which sometimes happens and for which I somewhat apologize.

2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail tow vehicle
Great Eggstrications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:24 PM   #63

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
what is a NOS
An item which is new (meaning has never been sold or used), but no longer in production and has been sitting in stock for a while ("old stock"). In some cases this means it's an obsolete design, but in other cases it's highly valuable, because it is an exact replacement for something which no longer produced or a style which some people want but is no longer produced.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:04 AM   #64

Trailer: Waiting Impatiently for E19!
Speaking of "balloon tires" the advent of fat-tire bikes has been a game changer for cycling 12 months of the year in my neck of the woods.
This photo taken yesterday at Mactaquac Provincial Park in New Brunswick.
Attached Thumbnails
Winter Bike.jpg  
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:09 PM   #65

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
Lego blocks + Anderson

We went from a 17’ Casita to an 21’ Escape. No trouble at all to level the tandem axel. We use the Andersen block for the front wheel and then usually one lego block for the 2nd wheel to roll onto.

We went and bought the Andersen kit. It’s great, has everything you need, except for the lego blocks. The kit comes with several red squares but we found the lego blocks better for helping that 2nd wheel roll up.

You’ll find that your outside assistant has to get creative to look at the level on the back of the Escape if the trailer is carrying a bike rack. The bikes block the line of sight. FYI from one who knows.

ofamily is offline   Reply With Quote