licensing in Maryland - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 19
licensing in Maryland

Hey all, I found a similar question dated 2017 and wanted to see if there is later information available.
We are picking up our new 19 in Sumas on August 30, and will then be driving back to Baltimore over the following 6 weeks or so. We went in to Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration this morning with Bill of Sale and Origin documents to get title and tags for the trailer, only to be told that we also needed EPA and Entry documents. Not sure why EPA cares about a towed vehicle, and we certainly won't have Entry docs until the trailer enters the country on the 30th.
I have seen some recommendations to simply drive the trailer home without any tags, keeping all new ownership papers handy to show law enforcement if asked.
How have others dealt with this? Anybody in Maryland done a similar pickup and drive home?
Thanks,
Bob
bobwirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:51 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I did it from Pennsylvania and others have done it from all over, no issue without tags........
Old 08-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I would ask to speak to a supervissor, or try going to a different motor vehicle agency office. That's what worked for me, well, pre-Covid.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice to speak to a supervisor. We did that today (were at the MVA for 2 hours) , and she called somebody even higher up. Same answer.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback about driving to Pennsylvania without problems. Looks like we may be doing something similar.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwirtz View Post
... I have seen some recommendations to simply drive the trailer home without any tags, keeping all new ownership papers handy to show law enforcement if asked....
This, with no worries!

BTW, the document likely referenced incorrectly is the US DOT form HS-7, which is not "complete" until the trailer crosses the border and it is stamped by US Customs. Nothing to do with EPA, that form is what certifies the trailer meets FMVSS / NHTSA safety standards (lighting, etc) for trailers in the USA. Many if not most states now require presentation of the original of that form for gaining a title/license tag.

Congrats on your imminent pickup, Have Fun!
Old 08-16-2021, 11:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
I just went through a similar online chat with California DMV. She gave me a link that read very much like it pertained to motor vehicles. She also suggested that I needed to get a temporary permit from Washington and maybe Oregon.

I downloaded all the forms from her link, will fill them our, staple the transcript of the chat with DMV and will add them to the ownership docs from ETI and call it good until we return to California after a few weeks breaking things in in Canada. We will drop into the first DMV office after we cross from Oregon into California (maybe Weed or Shasta), pay the taxes and registration and head on home.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:15 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Correct, a lot of states do not allow pre-registration. Sometimes you have to wait.......
Old 08-17-2021, 07:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
I We will drop into the first DMV office after we cross from Oregon into California (maybe Weed or Shasta), pay the taxes and registration and head on home.
Yes! Make an appointment in advance along the route you intend to take. Many folks have had good success with the Shasta office. If you happen to take the coastal route, we had an advanced appointment and were in and out of the Eureka office in 40 minutes! Bring your check-book!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Yes! Make an appointment in advance along the route you intend to take. Many folks have had good success with the Shasta office. If you happen to take the coastal route, we had an advanced appointment and were in and out of the Eureka office in 40 minutes! Bring your check-book!
If you walk out of any California DMV office with a plate, your transaction was not completed correctly. It doesn’t matter what county, jurisdiction, etc. Any foreign-born vehicle needs to have paperwork go to a special department in Sacramento for verification and approval. If the DMV office is ever audited, your registration renewal will be held up until satisfied. My paperwork and inspection was not completed correctly (DMV fault) and I’m on almost month 5 of trying to get my registration complete. There were no issues with Escapes paperwork packet and they have been very helpful providing additional paperwork (normally not needed).
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maryland, registration