Long-Term Livability - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Holiday Rambler Augusta
Question Long-Term Livability

We average about 2-4 weeks per trip and have had a few trips of 60+ days. We are considering a 5.0TA in the next couple of years. Would love to hear from current owners about their trip lengths and the livability of a small trailer. We are most interested in the 5.0/5.0TA, but comments from any size fiberglass trailer owners would be appreciated.
woznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The 5.0TA has been out less then a year so long term reports aren't available for it. We did 5 weeks in Sept/Oct in ours and had no space problems at all. We came from a like sized travel trailer, as long as you don't mind small it's just fine. Storage room was more then sufficient for us but if you want that washer and dryer combo you're out of luck. Got to like each other too.

We finished the trip in such good shape that we decided to try 8 weeks this coming fall followed by a month or so snow birding next Feb/Mar.

Their is a couple on the fiberglass forum, Norm and Ginny, they do months and months in a 16'er.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by woznick View Post
We average about 2-4 weeks per trip and have had a few trips of 60+ days. We are considering a 5.0TA in the next couple of years. Would love to hear from current owners about their trip lengths and the livability of a small trailer. We are most interested in the 5.0/5.0TA, but comments from any size fiberglass trailer owners would be appreciated.
Hi: woznick... Jan. of 2014 saw us spend 3 mo. in our 2007 5.0 in Ft. Myers Beach Fl. We're still married and getting ready to head south in our 2014 5.0TA!!! Unless you're interested in stick built, rubber roofed, slide out equipped trailers, a 5.0TA offers lots. They aren't cheap because they aren't big...but low maintenance and easy towing really helps.
We love our 5.0TA and can't wait to be one the road again!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
How about 9 weeks in a 15?? March, April, May 2014 down to Texas and back. We were home 2 weeks and Julie wanted to know when we were leaving again. Like many things, it depends on the people, their needs and expectations but we can travel long term. We just wouldn't be able to full time in any trailer. See pictures of our trip at our website below.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Woznick, My wife and I have enjoyed multiple 3-5 week adventures in our 17' Casita. I wouldn't give up those times together for anything.

We've now owned our Escape 21 for over a year and have one 5 week adventure under our belt. WOW, what a difference. The Escape is much more comfortable, towing and parking aren't much different, and hand signals are no longer needed to move about the cabin. We're now looking forward to, and planning, our next extended trip of at least 6 weeks. We've enjoyed our time with both trailers and looking forward to many more adventures.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I just added it up the other day for a similar request on another forum, and found I have spent 613 days, and 55,898 miles over the last 4 years in my Escape 17B. While I do have the advantage (at least space wise) of traveling solo, I have been comfortable with the size of the trailer, and never felt the need for more space, even on the last 304 day trip. I have to admit I spend most of my time outside the trailer; if I had to stay inside for weeks on end I might have a different outlook.

Journals of most of my trips start here, with the trailer trips starting in 2011.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2011 Holiday Rambler Augusta
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like its quite do-able. No, we are not washer & dryer kind of campers, although we do like our TV! Please keep the replies coming.
woznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #8

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
We have spent 3 weeks in our 17' Casita on 2 different occasions, no problems at all. We take delivery of our 5.0TA in May and we plan on having it until retirement. We will full time in that until we can figure out a state to call our domicile and buy a class A. Long ways off but it's good to goals and plans!! Bob
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
We have spent 3 weeks in our 17' Casita on 2 different occasions, no problems at all. We take delivery of our 5.0TA in May and we plan on having it until retirement. We will full time in that until we can figure out a state to call our domicile and buy a class A. Long ways off but it's good to goals and plans!! Bob
Hi: t-twnbob... Had a virtual tour of a class A diesel pusher. Too bad it was so dark inside. They were only asking north of $900,000. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #10

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: t-twnbob... Had a virtual tour of a class A diesel pusher. Too bad it was so dark inside. They were only asking north of $900,000. Alf
Nope Mr. Alf, we are much more conservative with our money that that! Probably a 30' Gasser set up for off the grid towing a jeep. Unless you would like to be the first to contribute to the 45' diesel pusher fund! Bob
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
That must have been pretty fancy. The one we saw this last week was "only" $540,000. As for spending time together in a small camper, we spent a month touring Australia in one with no problems. There are couples full timing it in 17 footers and getting along fine and couples in big mansions that fight like tomcats.
It all depends on you and your mate. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... Had a virtual tour of a class A diesel pusher. Too bad it was so dark inside. They were only asking north of $900,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
That must have been pretty fancy. The one we saw this last week was "only" $540,000.
Half a million dollars is pretty typical for the high end of big regular production motorhomes; first-rate units built from Prevost bus "shells" start at about one million dollars. Although these motorhomes are big, the cost isn't really the result of size: $150,000 will get you a class A almost as big... of ordinary construction on a Ford F53 chassis that is about the same as the working bits under a school bus. Even the power isn't much different: an F53 has 365 horsepower, and the biggest and fanciest run from 400 hp to 550 hp.

I don't think the extra hundreds of thousands of dollars for fancy motorhomes make much difference to livability - it's mostly for luxury and to impress others.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Brian, right behind the $540,00 home was one for $165,000 with a 365 hp engine. In looking at the specs, the one thing that surprised me was the rear axle ratio of 5.38. But to move that much, I guess you need that. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Brian, right behind the $540,00 home was one for $165,000 with a 365 hp engine. In looking at the specs, the one thing that surprised me was the rear axle ratio of 5.38. But to move that much, I guess you need that. Loren
That... and tire size. If it had 235/80R22.5 tires - normal for long motorhome on the F53 chassis - the tires are about 95 cm or 37" tall. To run at the same road speed and driveshaft speed as a vehicle with shorter tires, it needs more gear reduction.

There's little in these big things that's fundamentally different from smaller vehicles, since the principles are all the same. The same goes for the RV features - they have mostly the same components (although refrigerators tend to be larger!) as an Escape. That's one reason that livability isn't much different - it's mostly just about dimensions and other amounts.

Now, if you need two bathrooms, you will need one of these big rigs. Many of them have a second two-piece bathroom.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote