Longevity - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Keep in mind the older trailers were built by someone else (former owners).
I've owned trailers made by both owners and I don't see that as an issue.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the biggest issue is the two 500 lb gorillas who have bought and borged all the component suppliers, Suburban and Dometic.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:14 PM   #23

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
We sold a 2007 Escape 17B in 2018 after 5 years of ownership.

The trailer still looked new, the frame was good, the body was good, a few spider cracks in the shell near the back rear but when I waxed it up, the trailer looked brand new. The interior was pretty good. The past owners used those sticky hooks and damaged some of the paneling but all was in good shape. Our 9” x 9” bath vent started to leak and the fixed window started to leak at the glass seal, so I replaced the vent, resealed the window and completely resealed the roof.

In hind sight, we should have kept it.
As they say.....hind sight is 20-20. The 17 is a good size and an easy tow.
Escape_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We have owned our 19' since it was new in 2013 and our 15B was bought used in 2017. Both trailers have had almost no issues since we have owned them with most work done on them being normal wear and tear type items like greasing of wheel bearings, tire replacement, battery replacement, etc. Both trailers still look like new inside and outside (after a good wash and wax). I look forward to many more years of use out of both of them.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've owned trailers made by both owners and I don't see that as an issue.

Ron
It probably isn't- but testimonials about trailers built by someone else aren't quite the same.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:17 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We enjoyed our 2017 for 4 years crossed the country with it numerous times and it looked practically new when we sold it last fall. We wanted more room and a dry bath. Ergo the Bigfoot on order. We looked hard at an Oliver, but frankly we liked the 21c layout much better and the Bigfoot even more. That said the Oliver trailers are beautiful. If they had a layout like the 25 RQ we might have looked harder. I’ll give impressions after we get ours and will retire from this forum then
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:10 AM   #27

Trailer: 2021 21NE
We have a 21NE, owned since last July. Has about 6000 miles and 90 days of use. Trailer and cabinets are holding up well. One refrigerator, one window, and one Maxx fan motor have been replaced so far (all under warranty). As others have said, the trailer is sound, the components are luck of the draw whether you'll have problems. I'm happy with my trailer. I wish I could have bought it from a local dealer so that I had someone local to take it to for repairs (even acknowledging that this would likely have cost me more money due to a dealer's mark up). I've used the trailer throughtout 3 seasons, including near freezing temperatures at higher altitude. The amount of insulation in the Escape is plenty for 3 season use (I do have the bottom spray foam option). I like the lighter weight of Escape vs Oliver, making it easier to haul up the mountains but that's really a tow vehicle consideration. And, I think the Escape held up better during winter storage than my prior stick built trailers, in terms of lack of moldy, musty smells developing.
Illinois Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:59 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
We have a 2016 21c that we bought new in 16. We have roughly between 35 to 45,000 miles on her. Brakes and wheel bearing serviced every 12,000 miles. Seems to work fo us. We’ve spent roughly 800 nights in her. We went to AZ for the winters for 4 years in a row. 6 months each time. She gets washed twice a year and waxed once. All seals checked twice a year, so far everything good. Thus far I have replaced the bathroom door handle/lock, just replaced the Propane sensor and stove hood motor. I had a problem with my water heater after about a year. Weird. Open the water heater door, she runs great. Close the door up and she goes out. Like it’s starving for air. Had it looked at twice to the tune of 300.00, no fix.
Finally I drilled a 5/8ths inch hole in the water heater door at flame tube level and it runs like a champ for the last 4 years. Go figure.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 05:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
and new seal in bathroom vent are the only repairs needed so far.
Where did you get the seal for the bathroom vent? Mine must be gone. It did have pine needles in it. But even after cleaning those out, still leaks. Thanks
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:37 PM   #30

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post
Where did you get the seal for the bathroom vent? Mine must be gone. It did have pine needles in it. But even after cleaning those out, still leaks. Thanks
My bathroom vent seal came loose and separated from the vent cap soon after I took delivery of the trailer. A couple weeks ago I got around to replacing it. I found this at the corner hardware store but any decent weatherstripping of the right size should work. I cleaned the cap with acetone and then alcohol before applying contact cement. It has not stood the test of time but I think it will be much better than the open cell light duty foam that was used in the original seal. When I removed the original seal it was permanently deformed. I would have preferred a rectangular piece but this is what was available. The cap is easy to remove (2 screws).

Be careful working off the ladder.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220822_032811493.jpg  
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:29 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Remember the Boler?

Trip down memory lane. Another Canadian fibreglass trailer manufacturer out of Armstrong BC www.armadillotrailers.ca bought the actual molds for the classic Boler trailer and is selling a retro-version online. They are really upgraded and are now four-season. It comes with a rather novel full-length storage tray accessed from the rear. Still at 13.5 ft. They have an upgraded model that “clocks” in at 14! Nicely finished inside and out. A refurbished Boiler can sell for upwards to $12,000 CND. These start out at $33,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Image-1.png   Image.png  
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:03 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Nice to see someone putting some color back into the fiberglass RV world. Yes, I know Happier does it, too; the more the merrier. I have often wondered why almost all are look-alike white.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:41 PM   #33

Trailer: N/A
Not an owner but a comparison shopper. FWIW we rejected the Oliver because of cost, layout and weight in that order. Sure it looks nice, but it also looks cramped (disclosure after watching many videos, haven’t seen one in person). The dinette is tiny, why did they put the bathroom, closet and door at the end which is a premium spot? There’s a reason why most like Escape put the main bed and dinette at the ends.

On cost it’s crazy, they’re pushing Airstream prices now and it ain’t an Airstream. You could bank that money, and down the road buy a new trailer by simply selling the old and using the money you saved.

Finally its heavy for what you get. A smallish interior trailer, which doesn’t seem to make the best possible use of the space? The double hulled looks nice, but too much fiberglass frankly, and it’s not like a yacht where the interiors are covered in teak or walnut. The smaller boats are all fiberglass inside. Anyhow the double hulled gives you a heavy trailer for the side, and your carrying around twice the hull weight for I’m not sure what reason.

Not knocking it but just comparison shopping, personally I think it’s overpriced for what you get.
EscapingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:47 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
It has not stood the test of time but I think it will be much better than the open cell light duty foam that was used in the original seal. When I removed the original seal it was permanently deformed.
Nothing can be worse than that foam seal on the stock Ventline Vanair fans. A higher quality one would be an easy improvement for the manufacturer to make.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:14 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the biggest issue is the two 500 lb gorillas who have bought and borged all the component suppliers, Suburban and Dometic.
True, but the same could be said about the companies that sold. They're not publicly traded and there was no leveraged buyout. They went for the "gorilla's" cash.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:33 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan in NC View Post
I know it’s like asking Tundra owners what they think about their trucks, but, for all you Escape owners who have had the same trailer for several years and/or have towed it thousands of miles, how have things held up? I don’t care so much about components, but, rather, how has what Escape builds (the shell, the cabinets, plumbing, electrical, etc.) help up?

Signed, Analysis Paralysis and wife, Over Thinker
Hi Bryan,

Still on the fence, eh ? We've had our trailer since new, 6 years, towed maybe 10,000 miles or so, and had no issues I'd attribute to the initial build. I've replaced batteries, lubed axles, exterior shower fixture that I failed to winterize after the 1st season it was used and hot water heater element that blew when it was turned on w/o water..... no biggies to DIY on all of these.

Like you, I worried about being "on my own" as a 1st time RV owner 3000 miles away from the factory if any fixes were needed, but in our case, they weren't. What I didn't appreciate at the time of purchase is the value of this forum for DIY projects/fixes, eg I had to adjust the shut off pressure on our 6 year old Artis(a company no longer in business) water pump this year......and, thanks to all the folks here, I found the steps, with pictures, to do that here, on this forum.

The Oliver looks nice, nicer than the Escape, actually, but it didn't fit our criteria, under 4500 lbs, loaded and floorplan for the 3(4 if you include Lucy(the dog)) of us.

I don't think longevity is going to work as a filter, Oliver vs, Escape, unless Oliver is crap, which I doubt, but more your lifestyle and requirements.

Funny, your posts close - "Signed, Analysis Paralysis and wife, Over Thinker" - check out my forum join date - 6/2013, and our trailer - 2016. Yes, 2 years after joining the forum our build sheet was submitted, I think I have you beat on the over thinking, it's a big decision. Good luck with that.
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapingDan View Post

Not an owner ... we rejected the Oliver because of cost, layout and weight in that order ...

Sure it looks nice ... haven’t seen one in person. The dinette is tiny, why did they put the bathroom, closet and door at the end...

On cost it’s crazy, they’re pushing Airstream prices now and it ain’t an Airstream.

Finally its heavy for what you get...

A smallish interior trailer, which doesn’t seem to make the best possible use of the space? ...

The double hulled looks nice, but too much fiberglass frankly, and it’s not like a yacht...

Not knocking it but just comparison shopping, personally I think it’s overpriced for what you get.

"Not Knocking it" Wow, you had me fooled.

I really hope you can find a trailer that's light enough for you to be able to tow it, cheap enough that you can afford it, and large enough that you don't feel you've been cheated out of the space you need. Good Luck...

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:21 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubarx View Post
"Not Knocking it" Wow, you had me fooled.

I really hope you can find a trailer that's light enough for you to be able to tow it, cheap enough that you can afford it, and large enough that you don't feel you've been cheated out of the space you need. Good Luck...
You have to remember Steve, you ARE on the EscapeForum. I'd expect just the opposite kind of answer if I was an Escape owner on the OliverForum. Just sayin'
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:32 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
FWIW, before we decided on the E21, we looked at the Oliver, including several walk-throughs at FG rallys... and my impressions were much the same. too white inside, too narrow inside, too expensive, too heavy, awkward space. Nice that they are true 4-season, but the other issues overwhelmed that, and the odds of us left coasties ever camping in extended sub zero are slim to none.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You have to remember Steve, you ARE on the EscapeForum. I'd expect just the opposite kind of answer if I was an Escape owner on the OliverForum. Just sayin'
Donna, although not nearly as verbose as yourself, you'll notice I've been a member on this forum essentially the same amount of time that you have and I am well aware of the brand of trailers represented here.

As one of the moderators on the Oliver forum, I frown on bashing other fiberglass brands. After reading the postings here for 14 years, it seems that here it's a fairly regular pastime.

As a group, the owners of Oliver TT's are well aware of your oft quoted complaints about the price and the weight and the white interiors. Every Oliver owner was able to afford the price, otherwise they would not have purchased one. As far weight goes, we simply bought bigger trucks. White interior? We all love it because you have a blank palate to decorate in any way you choose.

My only issue with EscapingDan was he wanted to beat up on us and then make some lame comment that he was "...Not knocking it but just comparison shopping..." Don't wee wee down my back and then try to convince me it's just a warm summer rain.

If my presence here is not welcome, tell me now. I will vacate your forum and won't return. I joined not because I was interested in Escapes, but because I felt that all the different fiberglass trailer brands were more alike than different and that all the owners had information to share that would be useful to everyone else.

Also, despite what you may think, if you were to visit our forum you won't encounter anyone speaking ill of an Escape, or any other brand of FGRV.

Just sayin'

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote