Looking for advice...please... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21
Looking for advice...please...

During my time lurking here gathering information and my emails and chats with the folks at Escape, I have definitely fallen for the Escape and would love to order one soon. I have options in mind and tentative plans to expand my vacation next summer to pick up a new Escape. Then I start to think about the big investment that this will be...and then I start to second guess things a little bit. I love that it is custom built to order, that it is a small family-owned business and that other Escape owners are so excited about the trailers. And I know that you get what you pay for, so I think the big investment is a good one. The opportunity for us to purchase an Escape will not soon come again (we will be selling some property so no financing is necessary and that is very attractive), so while I cannot dispute all the reasons to buy an Escape, I cannot help but question if there are other less expensive trailers that we also need to consider. We want to make a good decision, so I’m looking for advice and would very much appreciate any insight folks have. Anyone with experiences with lightweight, non-fiberglass trailers? Anything else that we should be thinking about? Other thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you all so much!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
You speak about the purchase of an Escape as an "investment". An investment can be defined as:

"An asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future. In an economic sense, an investment is the purchase of goods that are not consumed today but are used in the future to create wealth. In finance, an investment is a monetary asset purchased with the idea that the asset will provide income in the future or appreciate and be sold at a higher price."

Even though your Escape trailer will hold value over the years relative to other types of trailers, the likelihood that it will increase in value is probably quite low. So if you are looking for an investment, you should probably put your money into some other more profitable venture.

If you are looking to make a fairly hefty purchase that will allow you to travel and stay at new and wonderful places and enjoy camping in a great trailer that is well built, light weight, and fun to stay in, then Escape is an excellent choice. If you take care of your Escape, it will hold value and when it comes time to sell you will likely be able to recoup a large portion of your initial expenditure. The difference between what you paid and what you get back upon selling is the cost of all those wonderful times you had.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
here is a thread over on FGRV where I talk about my 7 campers I have had in 4 years, pro and con of each and why I moved on, now an Escape owner.
Seven in four... - Fiberglass RV
actually it should read 8 in 5 as I have sold my Escape 19 and waiting for my Escape 21
Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #4

Thanks for your input! Perhaps I misspoke when I said investment...my intent was to indicate that this is a big decision with regards to the purchase price. I'm not looking for the Escape to increase in value, rather I'm looking for input to help me further justify the expenditure. I look forward to the many trips and memories made and agree that will be well worth it!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #5

Enjoyed reading your post about 8 in 5, Jim! Good information!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I did a comparison of the trailers we considered on our Escape website. See the address below.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Hi Tash,
I don't know what your RV experience is but, my standard advice to friends that do not have a trailer is to find a good, clean, used molded trailer - Scamp or Casita for under $7-8000. Camp in it, go to some fiberglass gatherings & figure out exactly what you want before you spring for a new trailer.
Once you have some experience and have seen whats out there, you'll feel more confident in your next purchase and if you don't over pay for the used one, you should get all or most your money back.
You could park the $$ from the sale of your property in the bank or a cd until you decide.

A new Escape is a lot of money...but I can't wait to write the check for our new 21 in January.

Good luck.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote