MA Registration from Sumas? Help! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE
MA Registration from Sumas? Help!

Hi!
So excited that we finalized the build of our 21NE and are picking it up in Sumas November 11th!

We're planning on taking the rest of November to travel South and then across the US back home to MA.

However, we're wondering if anyone has any experience lately of registering the trailer from the road (especially from MA) during this age of COVID.

We can't seem to get a hold of the RMV here to ask questions (big surprise) and I thought you wonderful folks might be able to help us more expediently.

TIA
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I could not do it in Colorado. So I rode back without a plate. No one either noticed or cared. Not sure which one.

And when I got back, I still could not get in to plate it, so I did a 700 mile trip in Colorado without plates and still did not get stopped or have any trouble. Several state police cars were behind me at one point of another.

I am not suggesting you do that.

Finally I got her plated and now things are fine. Except it costs $4,500 here which includes about $2,500 sales tax. There is a post out there somewhere with the exact figures.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Wow, congrats on your new 21NE! Sounds like an amazing trip you have planned. I live in Salem. Nice to meet another Escape owner in MA. There's only a few of us.

I wasn't aware one could register a new trailer over the phone with MA RMV. Thanks for this info.

Is MA RMV simply not answering phone calls or are the wait times super long and you give up? This is unfortunate.

We registered our 17 B back in April. At that time, it was by in-person appointment only. A few locations were closed down during the MA Covid shut down. Danvers and Newburyport RMV were closed so I had to go to Lawrence.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 21NE
My husband had to wait over 2 hours on the phone with the RMV. You can't register over the phone but he had questions about how to do it from Sumas.

A safety inspection that MA requires seems to be a sticking point....

Where did you take possession of your escape JADAMs? Was it here in MA or in Sumas?
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMama View Post
My husband had to wait over 2 hours on the phone with the RMV. You can't register over the phone but he had questions about how to do it from Sumas.

A safety inspection that MA requires seems to be a sticking point....

Where did you take possession of your escape JADAMs? Was it here in MA or in Sumas?
Thank you for the clarification regarding phone registration.

Interesting, I didn't need a safety inspection. Is this due to the weight of the 21, a new trailer, product coming out of Canada, or something else?

Two hour hold time is infuriating!

We purchased a pre-owned trailer which was located south of Rochester, NY. The previous owner was kind to meet me just west of Albany because it would be my first time towing. I also didn't have an weight distribution and anti-sway hitch installed at the time.

The previous owner had the novel idea to let me use his license plate for the drive home and I mailed it back to him.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
The previous owner had the novel idea to let me use his license plate for the drive home and I mailed it back to him.

Not novel, not legal and risky for both of you.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I didn't need an inspection either. I only needed the paperwork, which ETI sent me, and a check. I got the plates about a week before getting the trailer. The only thing I ran into was the RMV didn't have ETI in their computer system so I had to wait a few days for it to be entered. I did have to pay off the trailer before ETI would send me the final paperwork.

This was in 2014.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
PME

Trailer: 2020 21 NE
We are picking up our 21NE on August 31st. in Sumas. Mississippi is not willing to issue title before the trailer comes across the border and they can see the border documents! Need original Certificate of Origin, won't accept copies. Got to look into what is wrong with the copy we downloaded from ETI (was signed by Samuel).

ETI does not provide a manufactures suggested retail price (MS requires one). Escape's Bill of Sale has the base price and then all of the additions giving you a final "suggested retail price" (haggled that one through).

Not sure why trying to be "legal" coming home with the trailer is so hard. Just keep all your paperwork with you and hope for the best.

See you on the road or in court?
PME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not novel, not legal and risky for both of you.
Indeed, novel to me, and I was willing to take the risk for a relatively short drive. Would I do it beyond one drive? No... then the risk felt too significant.

I've always been a bit of a risk taker, I find it keeps 'my' life interesting.

How about the forum member who drove 700 miles? Good for him, I'm glad he found a solution which worked.

To each there own.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
How about the forum member who drove 700 miles? Good for him, I'm glad he found a solution which worked.

To each there own.

Try that before a judge. And, it's "their own".
Old 08-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Try that before a judge. And, it's "their own".
I'd take full responsibility for something I know I'm doing wrong.

I'm perplexed. It appears you're trying to win an argument in a fictitious situation, something that hasn't even occurred. Interesting.

Signing off.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm perplexed. It appears you're trying to win an argument in a fictitious situation, something that hasn't even occurred. Interesting.

Signing off.

I'm not interested in winning an argument. You've already admitted you are wrong. I just wouldn't want others to follow your example.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I didn't need an inspection either. I only needed the paperwork, which ETI sent me, and a check. I got the plates about a week before getting the trailer. The only thing I ran into was the RMV didn't have ETI in their computer system so I had to wait a few days for it to be entered. I did have to pay off the trailer before ETI would send me the final paperwork.

This was in 2014.
When I registered & titled my trailer RMV still didn't have ETI in their system. Funny thing was they just wouldn't believe my 17 B was under 3000 pounds. I had to show the rep. ETI's specs on the trailer online. A special override was needed for a sub-3000 travel trailer. It was a bit of a comedy show.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not surprising, we are talking the Registry. I bought a new car in April, got it at a dealer in CT which is about a mile from my house. The Registry made me wait 14 days before I could register it as I got it out of state. Most of our town works and shops in CT.