magma cookware - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
magma cookware

Wholesale marine has good prices on the cookware. Seems like a lot of people use and like it. Anyone have an opinion on getting non-stick over stainless steel. I never had a non-stick that didn't peel over time. I thought the non-stick cermica might make clean up that much easier. Just trying to pass the winter away supplying my somewhat new 21.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS View Post
Wholesale marine has good prices on the cookware. Seems like a lot of people use and like it. Anyone have an opinion on getting non-stick over stainless steel. I never had a non-stick that didn't peel over time. I thought the non-stick cermica might make clean up that much easier. Just trying to pass the winter away supplying my somewhat new 21.
Stainless is very easy to clean up . It also lasts and is a more healthy to cook with . I also use stainless at home . I do keep some cast iron though at home . Just can't seem to get rid of my favorite cast iron griddle and frying pan . In the trailer just a few pieces of stainless .A griddle , 2 pots , frying pan , kettle . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We have the SS and like it, it's better then what we have at home. We got the bigger set and should have gotten the smaller one. When all stacked together it's pretty awkward to maneuver in and out of the cabinet due to it's weight. Will be shrinking it down some before the next trip.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nothing unhealthy about non-stick cookware. Hasn't been an issue for a couple decades, but it will only remain non-stick for a couple years, depending on care.
I have 10 and 12 inch fry-pans in the trailer. I store them individually in reusable grocery bags to prevent rubbing while traveling.

Here is America's Test Kitchen report on non-stick cookware: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...stick-skillets
Old 12-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I was wondering earlier about this cookware and was going to post about it, but you beat me to it.

I went to their website and I like the set finished in blue the best. One of my favorite colors!

I've been using non-stick for years and yeah, eventually you have to replace them, but I'll do that over cleaning a non non-stick finish any day of the year/month/day/week/hour. Yuck!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We have the SS and like it, it's better then what we have at home. We got the bigger set and should have gotten the smaller one. When all stacked together it's pretty awkward to maneuver in and out of the cabinet due to it's weight. Will be shrinking it down some before the next trip.
Would this be the 7 piece set instead of the 10 piece? I don't see myself needing all the pieces in the 10 piece set and I was wondering about storage.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Would this be the 7 piece set instead of the 10 piece? I don't see myself needing all the pieces in the 10 piece set and I was wondering about storage.
Yes, we got the 10 and added a strainer to the set so it ended up 11. Like I said, it'll be lighter soon. Have yet to need them all. We do carry a couple non stick fry pans too.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
RWS

I think I'll stick with the stainless set, I use a quality set at home and it's not that hard to clean when used properly. That is a great price.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Nothing unhealthy about non-stick cookware. Hasn't been an issue for a couple decades, but it will only remain non-stick for a couple years, depending on care.
I have 10 and 12 inch fry-pans in the trailer. I store them individually in reusable grocery bags to prevent rubbing while traveling.

Here is America's Test Kitchen report on non-stick cookware: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...stick-skillets
Glen besides not lasting , most keep using when the surface is no longer good , that is the unhealthy part . You can buy once with stainless and never have to buy again .I had in my home some pieces my Mother gave me from the 30 's which went to the kids . Stainless is clean like glass . Surface doesn't degrade on stainless and cleans up well . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Stainless, like cast iron, last a long time and clean just as easy as non stick, if done properly.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
PTFE (such as Teflon) doesn't seem like a health risk to me, unless overheated. If hot enough, the fumes from it can be a hazard to those who are particularly susceptible... which includes pet birds.

I have a nesting (with removable handle) set of pots from T-fal, with a stainless (not non-stick) interior, and induction-compatible; they are the Ingenio series. In the similar Magma line there are both induction-compatible and not-induction-compatible versions.

I don't like non-stick coatings which are too easily damaged. My Ingenio set is just pots. For frying pans I have an induction-compatible set with a ceramic coating which is working well so far; I just have to deal with the non-removable handles for storage.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
We have the Magma 7 piece induction set. Bought induction in case we wanted to but an induction "hotplate." The 7 piece set has been more than adequate for the "stove" cooking we do. We use the grill 90% of the time.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #13

I do not carry 2 sets of cookware, one for inside cooking on the easily adjustable flame factory stove and one set for the basically on/off unadjustable outside stove. That said, the chance of overheating the "non stick" pan is prevalent with most campfire outside stoves due to their inability to cook at a low flame.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
RWS

I also carry cast iron cookware,12in & 15in skillet, 6qt dutch oven for campfire and high heat outside stove(volcano grill). The magma set will be used for other things like side dishes, soup, vegies and reheating, boiling water for pasta. I Won't give up my campfire cooking.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have no problem adjusting heat with my single burner butane stoves. It's touchy, but heat can be reduced.
I packed my cast iron for a while, but decided to reduce weight wherever possible. Replaced with T-Fal Pro Series fry pans ( rated best buy by America's Test Kitchen ) and stainless steel pots.
I don't have the discipline to use nesting pots.
Attached Thumbnails
Butane stove.jpg  
Old 12-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Paper plates, microwave. Done.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #17

aw shucks Donna, you have to cook with propane sometimes or over an open fire. Microwave cooking is so motelish...
Old 12-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We have had the Magma set with Teflon for 3 years, and use it a lot when camping. It is still in great shape, and the Teflon works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Paper plates, microwave. Done.

Yeah, yeah, eat your popcorn while I comment.

If you can get good use out of a microwave, that is great. We never have a cord long enough to use one most of the time though, as the nearest outlet is a long ways away.

However, paper plates are just wrong. I hate using them, especially for foods with moisture to them, like most meats and fresh cooked veggies. It takes about 5 seconds to wash a plate when doing the dishes, something I am glad to do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yeah, yeah, eat your popcorn while I comment.
I knew I'd get you

Truthfully the older I get the less I like to cook. I have a pillow that says "I only have a kitchen because it came with the house."

But, back to the OPs question. If you're not interested in spending that much money, but still want reasonable quality... there are a number of Escape owners that have been happy with the Stansport brand: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a whole thread about cookware: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...such-3194.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I knew I'd get you
You could possibly be related to my wife, knowing the right buttons to push.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote