Making the bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Making the bed

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about making the beds on this forum, and I don't know what I do wrong, but I can almost never find threads that I'm looking for.

Meanwhile all our kids are coming at the same time which means we have run out of bedrooms and Terry and I are going to sleep in the trailer and I'm wrestling with the sheets and have decided I need to do something else for our 19. i know there's some system that people like so if someone could direct me to the thread that would be great.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I know that there has been a lot of discussion about making the beds on this forum, and I don't know what I do wrong, but I can almost never find threads that I'm looking for.

Meanwhile all our kids are coming at the same time which means we have run out of bedrooms and Terry and I are going to sleep in the trailer and I'm wrestling with the sheets and have decided I need to do something else for our 19. i know there's some system that people like so if someone could direct me to the thread that would be great.
Search for "travasack" or "rvsuperbag" both online and in the forum. This is one avenue to pursue.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Making the bed? Do people do this?

Though we never concerned ourselves with a really tidy bed, we did just pull the sheet and roughly into place. Not too tough at all. This is all we use, plus a wool blanket on those nights boondocking when the temps are quite cold.

We do use a light cotton sheet in the summer, and heavier flannel for the fringe seasons.

Some really like the all-in-one solutions like the travasack, but that is not an idea that appeals to us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
We are going to try stitching the bottom of the top sheet to the bottom of the fitted sheet and see if that helps.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have got to agree with Bennett on this one. But if someone is going to look at the trailer, we try to make it look a little more presentable. When you're on vacation, I can think of a lot of better things to do than make a bed. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGman View Post
We are going to try stitching the bottom of the top sheet to the bottom of the fitted sheet and see if that helps.
Many, many years ago, my granny put a few diaper pins along the bottom of her bedding in their camper to keep them together. A forerunner to the travasack.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #7

This is not a situation of wanting to look like Better Homes and Gardens. Just now I literally could not get the mattress cover back on, but I got Terry out there and then it was fairly easy. But we both like to lie on a smooth surface -- It's the bottom sheet that's a pain -- I get one corner in and the other pops out, and I don't want to lie on a sleeping bag because then I have to wash said sleeping bag instead of a sheet. I'll look up travasack -- thanks.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We just use a nice high thread count fitted bottom sheet with a down comforter and duvet cover. Super easy to make the bed. We have a selection of thin, medium and heavy down comforters for different times of year. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
On our Scamp we went a different route. We used memory foam over the cushions. My wife made a "bag" for it out of sheets and it had velcro on one side so it could be easily removed for washing. On the bottom edge she attached a top sheet.

In the morning the memory foam with the sheets was rolled up. After a few days it could be flipped over to get a clean bottom sheet and the unused side of the top sheet. Sort of extended laundry time a bit.

If you have memory foam this could work for you. Much easier to slip the sheets on memory foam than the mattress.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #10

Quote:
This is not a situation of wanting to look like Better Homes and Gardens. Just now I literally could not get the mattress cover back on, but I got Terry out there and then it was fairly easy. But we both like to lie on a smooth surface -- It's the bottom sheet that's a pain -- I get one corner in and the other pops out, and I don't want to lie on a sleeping bag because then I have to wash said sleeping bag instead of a sheet. I'll look up travasack -- thanks.
We just hooked the back sides while on the bed, but not the sheet. Climbed off, and did the front. Our 2009 had a 5" foam mattress, so this was likely easier than the new mattresses, where I could see using two might work better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
We just use a nice high thread count fitted bottom sheet with a down comforter and duvet cover. Super easy to make the bed. We have a selection of thin, medium and heavy down comforters for different times of year. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
We too have a light, and a heavier down duvet we use, along with the wool blanket when needed.

I imagine it will be a lot easier to make the bed when we get our 5.0TA.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
It's the bottom sheet that's a pain -- I get one corner in and the other pops out
Just get a sheet set for the next size up bed. that way the fitted sheet is plenty large and you tuck the excess under the mattress. I do that at home as the top sheets never are wide enough for me on whatever size bed they're made for. I use king on the queen, for example.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
I think travasak went out of business.....
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I think Tford may be right, they're not showing up on the websites when you click links to buy them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #14

The superbag seems to still be available, but I think i have some good ideas now. The mattress cover doesn't have to come off that often and as long as i have Terry to anchor one side, that will be fine. I've been thinking about using a king sheet for the bottom and maybe I'll try that first. The memory foam idea is interesting and also the duvet cover. Thanks everyone.

Meanwhile, I think it's pretty funny that our first camping trip of the season will be in the driveway while our kids take over the house.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Meanwhile, I think it's pretty funny that our first camping trip of the season will be in the driveway while our kids take over the house.
Yes, but it sure is nice to have it to use that way. We often take our trailer when visiting to use as our own personal bedroom, c/w ensuite bath. I can get up as early as I like, and I know where all the fixin's for coffee are.

Why do you not have some of your kids out there though, that is what we usually do at our house.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Sleeping bags might be the easiest after all if you get one on those "liners". They're flannel and actually like a sleeping bag itself, as it zips. Then instead of the whole bag to wash, you just have the liner...which can also double as a light weight sleeping bag....Mine cost $9.00 and can be found at sporting goods stores..not sure if Wally World carries them.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #17

The Escape is literally less than ten feet from our neighbor's window so whoever uses it has to be really really quiet. Our kids have never spent any time in the trailer so they are not familiar with the workings -- the heat, the fire escape window , the screen door, the table, etc. Also, our house will be popping, the baby up at 5 A.M., the four year old having the occasional temper tantrum, the twenty somethings cooking food at midnight -- the trailer will hopefully be an oasis of sanity.

And this way we won't have to change the sheets that soon, which is why I started this thread in the first place
Old 04-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #18

Sandra, does the liner zip to the sleeping bag?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yes, but it sure is nice to have it to use that way. We often take our trailer when visiting to use as our own personal bedroom, c/w ensuite bath. I can get up as early as I like, and I know where all the fixin's for coffee are.

Why do you not have some of your kids out there though, that is what we usually do at our house.
No kidding! We have friends about 90 minutes south. We frequently take ou 19' and park in their driveway when they have parties. They have a 20amp dedicated circuit we can tap into for the AC and I don't have to watch my BAL () since my "bedroom" is just outside.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
I think travasak went out of business.....
They did and then Camping World brought them back as recently as last year (because we bought one) and then they were gone again, but the threads remain and she was looking for search words that would reveal lots of discussions on what people do about beds. Both are still valid search terms for lots of previous discussions.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote