Maneuverability Help - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
Maneuverability Help

I ordered a 19' yesterday but am now thinking I should go with the 21' because I will be living in it full time with three dogs. The biggest reason I didn't go with the 21' is maneuverability. Right now I cannot back up a trailer at all but am sure I will learn quickly when I have to. I am wondering how much difference there is in maneuvering a 19' vs. a 21'
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurah View Post
I am wondering how much difference there is in maneuvering a 19' vs. a 21'
Two more feet in length and a little more width won't make much of a difference in maneuverability. Go with the trailer you like.

Having said that, there are a few places, very few, where a 19 will fit into a camping spot while a 21 may not. Chisos Basin in Big Bend NP comes to mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would not be concerned too much with either one, with practise either can be manoeuvred equally as well. Maybe a slight edge to the 19 being near 2' shorter and 4" narrower, but not much.

I would make your choice by what layout works best for you. Are you travelling solo? if so either would be more than big enough, even with three dogs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
In order to effectively back a trailer, you need to be able to see the sides of the trailer in your mirrors. The 21 is four inches wider than the 19 foot Escape. Depending on your tow vehicle, you may need to purchase wider (extended) mirrors.
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
If you're concerned about not being able to back up, there is a truck driving school practically next door to ETI. You can take lessons from them after you get your trailer (and bring it back across the border since you have to get it in the States).

Driving Lessons | Burnaby & Vancouver | Valley Driving School
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned both models, I can honestly say the 19 is a little easier to maneuver, but you fail to mention your tow vehicle, that can make a big difference with either model.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Hi Laurah, welcome to the Escape family!
Whatever trailer you choose, you will learn how to back up and park. Most important is that you pick the trailer with the most suitable floorplan for your and your dogs need. There is quite a difference in the 19 and the 21.
Then there are costumizations you could do, like switching the bed to the front for the 19.
We chose the 19 for its floorroom by the door. Gives the dog(s) lots of space to jump in and out. And we love it!!
Lots and lots to ponder.......
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #8

Thanks

Thank you all for the information. I think I will stick with the 19. Now to figure out all these options!
Old 09-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Thank you all for the information. I think I will stick with the 19. Now to figure out all these options!
Figuring out all of the options that are listed isn't to difficult. ETI will do so much for you that the difficulty is in figuring out the options that aren't listed. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
And there are even more options then there are on the list.
Good luck with everything! And questions: fire them away at the forum!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #11

Options!!?:?

Oh no. I will probably be asking a lot of question. Thanks
Old 09-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Laurah,
We originally ordered a 19, because that was all we had seen in 2014. We luckily were allowed to switch to a 21, with which we are thrilled. Checking on the owners' map on this site shows a 21 south of Detroit. If you haven't seen one yet, that would be my first priority, before finally deciding.
Also not knowing your tow vehicle, remember a 21 weighs about 500 lbs more, but we towed that fine with our 2003 4Runner.
Good luck. Keep active on the forum. Tons of answers here.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Oh no. I will probably be asking a lot of question. Thanks
Laurah,
I guarantee you won't set the record for number of questions asked. And there are a wealth of experienced people on this forum ready to help.

Oh, and don't be concerned about changing your mind on the items/options on your build sheet with ETI. We changed ours eight times before we finally signed our "final answer" sheet by the build-sheet-final-due-date. ETI staff are great to work with.
Enjoy. (And do happy-dances every so often, it helps)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 build Sept
Me Too

Quote:
I ordered a 19' yesterday but am now thinking I should go with the 21' because I will be living in it full time with three dogs. The biggest reason I didn't go with the 21' is maneuverability. Right now I cannot back up a trailer at all but am sure I will learn quickly when I have to. I am wondering how much difference there is in maneuvering a 19' vs. a 21'
I too order a 19 3 weeks ago and then changed my order to a 21. I'm hoping to live full-time at least 5 years and decided the extra room and storage would be more important some loss of maneuverability. The largest trailer I have had is a 10 foot SilverShadow Teardrop and I admit to "internal" trepidation with backing up something of this size. But I suspect if we take our time we will become masters in no time.
twotwinpeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The 21' has much more floor space, so for dogs, I would go with it. And it has more walking and other space for you. You are one person so I suppose a 19' could work but I would not usually want to recommend one for fulltiming. I just spent a few months in the 21' and couldn't imagine, or want to do that, with the 19'. My husband was there about half of the time.

As suggested, if you have not seen both in person, you can see them in your region by visiting owners. As for backing, I don't see any difference, but I think I would have to try the 19' at the same time as a 21'. It is much easier for me to back the 21' because I had practice with the 19'! For backing, just get out and go back and look at the path the trailer is taking, then adjust the steering wheel slightly accordingly.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #16

TV

Hi Bill,
I haven't picked out my tow vehicle yet. I was waiting to pick out my trailer first. I'm really thinking about a full size van to give me the extra storage.
I love the F150s (I work for Ford) but think a van is a better idea. Since I don't get my trailer until next November (Darn!) I have time to look around.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #17

twotwinpeaks...

How long after you ordered did you change? I have so much going on that I didn't want to take the time to go see the trailers yet wanted to secure a date. I really need it in the spring of next year but know I want an Escape so will have to figure where to live with three dogs and two birds until November. (I forgot to mention I also have birds.)
Old 09-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #18

Quote:
I haven't picked out my tow vehicle yet. I was waiting to pick out my trailer first.
This is likely one of the wisest decisions to make when choosing a trailer, as it will outlast a few different tow vehicles.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #19

21'

I have sent an email asking for the number to contact the family south of Detroit with the 21' so I can go see it.
Thanks for all your help
BTW It's fun to talk to people that understand how exciting this is. Everyone at work is probably getting tired of hearing about it
Old 09-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Everyone at work is probably getting tired of hearing about it
They just don't understand.

I had a coworker once say about camping in an RV, "Why would someone go to all that trouble just to inconvenience themselves". I never even tried to explain.