Manual Awning VS Power Awning - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The key is, if you know you have the width, you only have to keep an eye on one side view mirror. If you've done it a couple times and nothing went crunch, you're good to go.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #62
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
WOW!!!

Having had my Casita for two years and having used it for 17 trips, I still consider myself a “backup rookie”. Looking at the pictures in your post, you clearly qualify to change your User-ID to “Dr. Bea” as you most certainly must have a post doctorate degree in “trailer backing”.
Hi Larry, You are too kind and so funny! Thanks for making my day! Well, after many years, not sure I'll ever graduate to 'Dr.' status...I'm sure there are many here who are MUCH better than I. But like gbablo said, I watch my mirrors like a hawk and take it nice and easy and DH is a great spotter. Actually, sounds like you are well on your way to your Trailer Backing PhD soon, after 2 years and 17 trips!

Jim, enjoyed your 'Pea in a Pod' comment! I'll just be the 'Princess and the Pea'.

Wish we were around a campfire...s'mores anyone? -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
That certainly was a gully washer last September.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #64

Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perryb67,
Having your awning fully extended in the rain is fine, but the instructions I received with my manual awning stated it is a "Shade device" and was not to be used in stormy conditions. If your awning pooled in the rain you may have difficulty with the manufacturer because it was not used as a shade device....otherwise you are good to go!

Absolutley right, most awning manufacturers will not cover an awning damaged due to wind or strong rain.They really where developed for shade
We always retracted our awning in heavy rain or wind or if we are away from trailer
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineMcD View Post
Absolutley right, most awning manufacturers will not cover an awning damaged due to wind or strong rain.They really where developed for shade
We always retracted our awning in heavy rain or wind or if we are away from trailer
This is the 3 rd manual awning we have owned in 35 plus years . Using common sense and putting away in a bad storm , awning does very well in winds and rain . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #66

Trailer: 2020 searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
"All the way?" Perhaps for you, but one certainly shouldn't make that a blanket policy.

I don't want to leave it out "partially" in the rain. I want it out ALL THE WAY! We sit outside underneath our manual awning in the rain with our tables, Terry prepares and cooks food, we read, talk with friends............ Some nights we have had our BioLite FirePit going full tilt burning wood, providing us with full heat underneath the the awning. That is only going to happen when the awning is out ALL THE WAY. There is NO WAY the electric awning is going to work for us in the rain. Period. Notice I said, "for us."

We're currently in Arizona for the winter and if we only camped here would purchase an electric awning, but we spend too much time camping when it rains and want more than an entryway for an awning. Others don't camp in the rain or sit inside when it does, so the electric works for them. You need to look at how YOU camp to make an intelligent decision.

Enjoy,

Perry
I am one of those who has only ever been backpacking and tent camping. Therefore have no clear idea what works 'for me' and how I will camp with our first ever travel trailer. Just saying that all the input from all of you veteran folks gives me much to consider and think about as we contemplate our build sheet.....
lbrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #67

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I did have a bad experience this past summer with my electric awning, which may be worth considering when making an awning decision. I was camped by a lake and had spent the morning out fishing. I came in for lunch, and leaned my recently purchased $950.00 fly rod against the side of the trailer. The awning was out. I was inside when the wind came up, and when one particularly big gust caused the awning to retract itself. Unfortunately, that same gust also blew the fly rod against the awning, and of course I had no idea, until I heard the sickening crunch of the rod as the awning closed and shattered it into multiple pieces. Yikes.

The rod is currently back at the manufacturer being repaired, and I should have it back in a month or 2, so no big deal. But this is a lesson I had to learn the hard way. Don't leave anything near where your awning can grab onto it!! Even if it doesn't break the item, it's likely it will be broken, since the retraction mechanism is not designed to withstand a rigid object getting caught in it. Either way, not a good situation.

Of course, this sort of thing won't happen with the manual
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I did have a bad experience this past summer with my electric awning, which may be worth considering when making an awning decision. I was camped by a lake and had spent the morning out fishing. I came in for lunch, and leaned my recently purchased $950.00 fly rod against the side of the trailer. The awning was out. I was inside when the wind came up, and when one particularly big gust caused the awning to retract itself. Unfortunately, that same gust also blew the fly rod against the awning, and of course I had no idea, until I heard the sickening crunch of the rod as the awning closed and shattered it into multiple pieces. Yikes.

The rod is currently back at the manufacturer being repaired, and I should have it back in a month or 2, so no big deal. But this is a lesson I had to learn the hard way. Don't leave anything near where your awning can grab onto it!! Even if it doesn't break the item, it's likely it will be broken, since the retraction mechanism is not designed to withstand a rigid object getting caught in it. Either way, not a good situation.

Of course, this sort of thing won't happen with the manual
After that how is the electric awning doing ? Pat
Old 12-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #69

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
After that how is the electric awning doing ? Pat
Munching the tip of my fly rod did not seem to bother the awning at all, it just shattered into many pieces, nearly all of which ended up on the ground. All things considered, it's probably a good thing the rod was broken and not the awning mechanism, as the rod was guaranteed, the awning not.

I seem to recall reading an account where tree branches became entrained in someone's electric awning, which did do serious damage to the awning mechanism. Now that this has happened to me, l will think about this sort of thing in the future. Keep stuff clear of the awning at all times!! If you camp where there are tree branches, be careful about awning use!

One little gust of wind on an otherwise windless day can cause these awnings to retract, and if something is in the way, bad things can happen
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Munching the tip of my fly rod did not seem to bother the awning at all, it just shattered into many pieces, nearly all of which ended up on the ground. All things considered, it's probably a good thing the rod was broken and not the awning mechanism, as the rod was guaranteed, the awning not.

I seem to recall reading an account where tree branches became entrained in someone's electric awning, which did do serious damage to the awning mechanism. Now that this has happened to me, l will think about this sort of thing in the future. Keep stuff clear of the awning at all times!! If you camp where there are tree branches, be careful about awning use!

One little gust of wind on an otherwise windless day can cause these awnings to retract, and if something is in the way, bad things can happen
Glad your awning is ok don’t want that added expense! Sorry about your rod being destroyed but at least that is getting repaired ! I guess lesson learned is the best ! Pat
Old 12-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #71

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
All of this talk about awnings made me go out and look at my 2013 Escape. Yes, I do have an awning!
Hey Dave,
Your post made me chuckle because I know I have an awning on my 5TA but on the two long trips we've been on thusfar I've probably used it 5 or 6 times total so I coulkd see how I forget I have one as well. We actually decided on the power awning because I knew we would not use it much and therefore like how uncluttered the trailer is when its stored. We're both real heat lovers so it has to get really hot (like well over 90-100 before the complaining starts!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #72

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Hey Dave,
Your post made me chuckle because I know I have an awning on my 5TA but on the two long trips we've been on thusfar I've probably used it 5 or 6 times total so I coulkd see how I forget I have one as well. We actually decided on the power awning because I knew we would not use it much and therefore like how uncluttered the trailer is when its stored. We're both real heat lovers so it has to get really hot (like well over 90-100 before the complaining starts!!
When things get better you need to come to south central Kansas in August and if that’s not hot enough drift on over to SW Utah around St. George. That ought to do it for your heat fix for the summer. Take eggs along, you can fry them on the sidewalk. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 12-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #73

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
yes I have heard about that famous summer heat....WOW Right now its about 30 degrees here but they're calling for temperatures to drop way below freezing here in the next day or so with highs expected to be about 17 degrees, whew, what I wouldn't do to come pay you a visit even at this time of year!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:41 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
I know this is an old post, but I still have an unanswered question. We recently purchased a 17B with a power awning and really like it with one exception, it retracts with the slightest gust of wind. I'm thinking about drilling a couple of holes in the forward metal lip of the awning so I can attach two expandable tarp poles anchored with cord and staked to the ground. Has anyone tried this or see any reason it would not work?
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
One of the reasons why we like our manual awning. It's out in wind and rain when an automatic awning would be retracted.

It's handy to have vertical poles at the outboard end because if you hand a sun screen from one pole to the other you can put cords on the bottom corners to the poles to keep the sun screen from flopping around.

Can't see why you couldn't do something similar. Maybe pulling the fuse might be prudent in case someone accidentally flipped the switch.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0004_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:14 PM   #76
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
The sensitivity to wind is adjustable. Yours might be set overly sensitive. Your manual describes how to adjust and test it.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:42 AM   #77

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
One of the reasons why we like our manual awning. It's out in wind and rain when an automatic awning would be retracted.

It's handy to have vertical poles at the outboard end because if you hand a sun screen from one pole to the other you can put cords on the bottom corners to the poles to keep the sun screen from flopping around.

Can't see why you couldn't do something similar. Maybe pulling the fuse might be prudent in case someone accidentally flipped the switch.

Ron

Ron how did you secure the sun screen like that? I've been thinking of having a setup like that but don't know how.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:42 AM   #78

Trailer: 21
There are clips one can buy that slide into a channel on the roller. You can roll up the screen when you retract the awning depending on how long the screen is.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:53 AM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Ron how did you secure the sun screen like that? I've been thinking of having a setup like that but don't know how.
Yes, there are clips. But since the sunscreen material is perforated it's very easy to baste in a bolt rope which slides in the groove. Probably stronger than clips.

Since there's a multitude of holes it's dead easy to do.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0003_resize.jpg   IMGP0005_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:50 PM   #80

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Thanks for that tip Red. ETI did not supply a manual, so I’ll have to look that up and give it a try. I may do the pole project a well and will report back.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote