Manual Awning VS Power Awning - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2022, 07:42 PM   #81

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
I ended up ordering a couple of expandable poles, drilled holes in my awning lip, and added cords and stakes. Now my electric awning is rock solid for those windy days. Of course I need to remember to turn the power switch off when the awning is out, but even if I forget and leave it on, I doubt the awning would move enough to automatically retract. This was a simple mod and now we have what I would consider a much more usable awning.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3621_LowRes-2.jpg   IMG_3627_LowRes.jpg   IMG_3628_LowRes.jpg   IMG_3626_LowRes.jpg  
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:40 AM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Great idea, I'm seriously considering doing the same.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:09 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Great idea for sure. I bought my 2017 Escape 19 trailer last year and it came with the electric awning. It is really the only thing I do not like about the trailer.
My concern with using expandable tent poles and using tie down straps, is that water would pool on the top if the slope was not sufficient enough. Did you set your poles where the awning usually comes out or did you increase the slop by using shorter tent poles?
sh.neville@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:12 PM   #84

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Unfortunately you can't really increase the slope a significant amount without bending the support arms. For rain, I use a telescoping center pole with a padded "T" in the center of the awning. Not ideal, but in our part of the country we don't get a lot of rain. I certainly like having the windows unobstructed by the awning arms, less drag when flying down the highway, and better aesthetics. The deciding factor for us was getting the trailer through a narrow gate at our house. Would not work with the awning arms sticking out. When it's all said and done, I have grown to really like the electric awning.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:28 PM   #85

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
I made an expanding pole with a T at the top. I works great to make a sec lightly elevated area in the middle and the rain rolls off. The pole is a little bit in the way but it really isn’t an issue.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:36 PM   #86

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Manual is our choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Deciding on what awning to get on my new 19' seems theirs problems with both set up.

After reading threads on the power awning not being able to use in the rain I was thinking of getting the manual as its cheaper also. I was thinking it be trouble free. But doing more research seems the trailer is really Designed for the power awning. Looks like the manual was a after thought as it does not fit into the body like the Manuel does. I see they been some post on the manual opening in the wind. what our the advantage and disadvantages of both ?

What our your thought and experience with either awning .
Manual for two reasons.: 1)You cans adjust the tilt for additional shade. 2) Much less to breakdown as opposed to the power mechanism.

Would get the manual again in a heartbeat.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:12 PM   #87

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Manual for two reasons.: 1)You cans adjust the tilt for additional shade. 2) Much less to breakdown as opposed to the power mechanism.

For me, more importantly, it can be tilted and left out in heavy rain. When I'm sitting under it and rain is making a waterfall off the end it sort of convinces me that it's the right awning for my use. Since it normally stays out for the entire duration of our stay I can hang a sunscreen from it.

But, like framed/frameless windows and a host of other options, this discussion will go on and on.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
08-08-2020 4-38-41 PM_0001_resize.jpg   IMGP0007_resize.jpg   IMGP0008_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:12 PM   #88

One more thing: With the manual awning I use between 4 and 6 Camco awning deflappers. Two small and 4 large. Keeps it stable in winds. Don’t believe you can put them on a power awning. Also occasionally use screens on the front and sides. Again the manual awning is suited to this.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:57 AM   #89

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
One more thing: With the manual awning I use between 4 and 6 Camco awning deflappers. Two small and 4 large. Keeps it stable in winds. Don’t believe you can put them on a power awning. Also occasionally use screens on the front and sides. Again the manual awning is suited to this.
What are awning deflappers?
Old 01-22-2023, 01:14 AM   #90
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've only ever used large one on each side.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Awning-.../dp/B000BUQOEU

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:12 AM   #91

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:

I ended up going power, so awning the arms would not hit my windows. two years later I very glad I did. we find we use the awning more being power as just hitting the button seems to be so easy. it fits into the trailer so much better. nice sleek look. If they had offered a manual that would retrack all the way and fit into the recessed area of the trailer and not interfere with the window operation. I would have gone that way.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:00 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Unfortunately you can't really increase the slope a significant amount without bending the support arms. For rain, I use a telescoping center pole with a padded "T" in the center of the awning. Not ideal, but in our part of the country we don't get a lot of rain. I certainly like having the windows unobstructed by the awning arms, less drag when flying down the highway, and better aesthetics. The deciding factor for us was getting the trailer through a narrow gate at our house. Would not work with the awning arms sticking out. When it's all said and done, I have grown to really like the electric awning.
Thank you kindly for your feedback. I had used an expandable pole with a padded T at the top, however it was blowing over with the slightest bit of wind. I think the combination of the T bar and the tent poles with solve my problem.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:10 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I've only ever used large one on each side.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Awning-.../dp/B000BUQOEU

Thank you John, great idea.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:07 PM   #94

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We routinely use two large ones. We do leave the trailer unattended with the awning out and there have been times when there's been a bit of wind blowing and I thought about getting a second set. Two do work well though.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:39 PM   #95
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
So far we've only used our power awning a couple of times. Once while I was napping, the wind came up, and all of a sudden the awning retracted—scared the dickens out of me! But afterwards, I was glad it did, protecting itself from high gusts. If we're going to be around, can we disable the auto-retract wind sensor (maybe just turn off the power)?

I liked the manual awning on our 2013 Casita, which was easily adjustable for rain. But original Escape owner Shawn left me with a T on a handle to dump puddles if they occurred. So we'll see what this year brings.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:25 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We routinely use two large ones. We do leave the trailer unattended with the awning out and there have been times when there's been a bit of wind blowing and I thought about getting a second set. Two do work well though.

Ron

Yes two are good but if we are out and the winds unexpectedly rise a couple of extras really stabilize the awning.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:19 PM   #97

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
... it fits into the trailer so much better. nice sleek look. If they had offered a manual that would retrack all the way and fit into the recessed area ....
That aspect is moot for 5.0 owners and prospective purchasers, both types hang the same on the flat side wall (no recess)