Manual Awning VS Power Awning - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
One more comment that I have not seen on this thread. We had a manual awning on our 17B and loved it. We are going with power on our 19 (pick up on Monday!). Why? Because one of us has fairly severe arthritis and cannot manage the manual awning. We have tried to make sure that both of us can do all tasks involved with the trailer. For us it is just one of those adapting to aging things like going from tent to trailer, manual jack to power jack, etc. We are still manually putting down stabilizers for now.
The manual is nice but we need to adapt to changing bodies. Your mileage of course may vary.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:01 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I like the manual awning on my 2014 E21.

original owner had a unplanned highway deployment or something, and had to replace it, and got the wrong size, so even when the arms are fully extended there's still about 3/4 wrap on the drum :-/ oh well.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #23

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have had 2 power and and 2 manual awning Escapes, so I'm in a somewhat better position to compare the 2 by at least the power of 2....power awning all the way. You leave it out partially in the rain without issues, it should retract automatically if set up correct in the wind as it is never recommended to tie down an awning and leave it.
"All the way?" Perhaps for you, but one certainly shouldn't make that a blanket policy.

I don't want to leave it out "partially" in the rain. I want it out ALL THE WAY! We sit outside underneath our manual awning in the rain with our tables, Terry prepares and cooks food, we read, talk with friends............ Some nights we have had our BioLite FirePit going full tilt burning wood, providing us with full heat underneath the the awning. That is only going to happen when the awning is out ALL THE WAY. There is NO WAY the electric awning is going to work for us in the rain. Period. Notice I said, "for us."

We're currently in Arizona for the winter and if we only camped here would purchase an electric awning, but we spend too much time camping when it rains and want more than an entryway for an awning. Others don't camp in the rain or sit inside when it does, so the electric works for them. You need to look at how YOU camp to make an intelligent decision.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-21-2020, 11:16 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
re winds, I setup my awning, and setup a sturdy 10x10 popup right up against it, with the street side of the trailer facing the prevailing winds, and its held up just fine in the fairly heavy steady afternoon west winds we experience each afternoon at the Golden State Star Party. Now, these winds tend to be steady and from the same direction, and not wild and gusty, because we're setup on an open meadow where its flat for miles.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:09 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
"All the way?" Perhaps for you, but one certainly shouldn't make that a blanket policy.

I don't want to leave it out "partially" in the rain. I want it out ALL THE WAY! We sit outside underneath our manual awning in the rain with our tables, Terry prepares and cooks food, we read, talk with friends............ Some nights we have had our BioLite FirePit going full tilt burning wood, providing us with full heat underneath the the awning. That is only going to happen when the awning is out ALL THE WAY. There is NO WAY the electric awning is going to work for us in the rain. Period. Notice I said, "for us."

We're currently in Arizona for the winter and if we only camped here would purchase an electric awning, but we spend too much time camping when it rains and want more than an entryway for an awning. Others don't camp in the rain or sit inside when it does, so the electric works for them. You need to look at how YOU camp to make an intelligent decision.

Enjoy,

Perry
I use mine ALL THE WAY out in the rain, too. And it works for us. But one has the option of partially out if you want. I can read, cook and talk with friends under there, as well. But that’s just for us.

Maybe I’m reading the post wrong, but it’s coming off like a blanket statement, that one can only do these things with a manual awning. Living in the Pacific Northwest, we see our fair share of rain and spend our time outside. All 4 of us and the dog, under the electric awning.
Vicescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicescape View Post
I use mine ALL THE WAY out in the rain, too. And it works for us. But one has the option of partially out if you want. I can read, cook and talk with friends under there, as well. But that’s just for us.

Maybe I’m reading the post wrong, but it’s coming off like a blanket statement, that one can only do these things with a manual awning. Living in the Pacific Northwest, we see our fair share of rain and spend our time outside. All 4 of us and the dog, under the electric awning.
I keep reading, and talking to other Escape owners, about their electric awning pooling water and dumping it (or the awning will collapse) when in rain (not showers). One said the dumping made for quite a splash underneath the awning. If your's can handle rain, not showers, by continually and evenly letting the water run off without pooling, then I stand corrected.

However, I wonder why others bring the awning partially in, raise the middle of the electric awning with a pole so water can run off like the manual, or just don't deploy the awning at all in the rain.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-22-2020, 06:58 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perryb67,
Having your awning fully extended in the rain is fine, but the instructions I received with my manual awning stated it is a "Shade device" and was not to be used in stormy conditions. If your awning pooled in the rain you may have difficulty with the manufacturer because it was not used as a shade device....otherwise you are good to go!
Old 02-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #28

I just watched Escape's Power Awning Video that I watched last year. Reace himself says, "you do have to be careful in the rain." A little later Reace says, "It doesn't work well in the rain." Reace also briefly explains the pooling situation.

We don't have to be careful because our manual awning does work well in the rain. That's the manual awning's forte! Talking to other Escape owners, and ETI when we were making our choice of awning, about the potential electric awning problems with moderate or heavy rain were enough for us to purchase the manual awning for reliability. Reace's Escape video reinforces my points.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Neither awning ( manual or powered ) works well when deployed in a heavy wet snow so if you plan on winter camping or hunting be aware .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Perry, it is great that you made your awning decision based on the factors you chose. If it is what you want and it works best for you, that is fantastic.

However, many others have more uses for the awning than just heavy rain, and to diminish their choices is not fair. Other than heavy rain there are some features where the electric does better. I (and most definitely my wife) like the fact it takes about 2 seconds to perform the function that allows it to full or partial open.

Sure I wish that without the center pole it would work fully open in full rain, but this is nowhere near as awful as some make it sound. We have one pole instead of two, and have never found it to be a bother. In fact it is often a center piece on or beside our table which is right outta the way. I mention the two arms on the manual, while these work great for their intended purpose they are always out and in the way. We resorted to pretty much always extending the feet out to make them poles which very much helped with keeping them more out of the way, allowing traffic along the trailer.

Either awning is a fine choice, both having drawbacks and merits, and both work fine for heading out to have fun. For a group of members there is no single right or wrong choice, just a couple options to choose from.

Now, if there was that electric awning that worked well for all conditions on a lightweight trailer, wouldn't that be the bomb?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Perry, it is great that you made your awning decision based on the factors you chose. If it is what you want and it works best for you, that is fantastic.

However, many others have more uses for the awning than just heavy rain, and to put down their choices is not fair. Other than heavy rain there are some features where the electric does better. I (and most definitely my wife) like the fact it takes about 2 seconds to perform the function that allows it to full or partial open.
From my perspective, you just put me down.

Jim, please read post #23 where I agree that there are reasons to purchase the power awning. I also said, "You need to look at how YOU camp to make an intelligent decision." Yes, I do, and have said many times on these awning threads, that I understand why those enjoy the power awning and that's great for them. It seems that when one justifies their choices, as I have here, others see that as as put down.

Neither awning is perfect in all areas. We all have different reasons for our choices and I certainly understand, including your reasons. When the power awning can handle moderate/heavy rain like the manual I'll quit justifying our manual choice and purchase a power awning.

After all, the OP was asking why one over the other, and that's the object of this thread.

Enjoy,

PS: I suppose I could get into the wind differences, but why muck up this even more.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #32

and I just read the Carefree Awning owners manual:

NOTICE Awnings are designed to provide shade and protection from the
sun. The effects of wind and rain on an awning are unpredictable and can cause severe damage to the awning and/or the vehicle. If wind or extended periods of rain are expected, roll up the awning.

NOTICE It is recommended that if leaving the RV unattended for a length of time, retract the awning to avoid unexpected weather conditions.

So it appears both awnings need attention to, rain or shine.....I'm just glad to have one that is inside a protective case, out of the elements and the sun.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My daughter runs an insurance agency and we are insured through her agency
She recently informed me that the insurance company they represent and others that sell RV insurance are looking at dropping rv awning coverage from their policies
The reason being that awning claims are in the top 3 of RV claims filed
Maybe people would be more inclined to follow the awning manufacturers guidelines if the awning replacement cost came out of their pocket

We have the power awning , it works for us
I see no reason to question the wisdom of those who made a different choice .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and I just read the Carefree Awning owners manual:

NOTICE Awnings are designed to provide shade and protection from the
sun. The effects of wind and rain on an awning are unpredictable and can cause severe damage to the awning and/or the vehicle. If wind or extended periods of rain are expected, roll up the awning.

NOTICE It is recommended that if leaving the RV unattended for a length of time, retract the awning to avoid unexpected weather conditions.

So it appears both awnings need attention to, rain or shine.....I'm just glad to have one that is inside a protective case, out of the elements and the sun.
You should know that manual language like that protects the manufacturer. It's what happens in the real world that matters to us.

When not traveling our 5.0 sits in a campground eight tenths of a mile from our condo. Easily a quarter of the campers in the campground leave their manual awning out all summer long. We sit all day in the rain with the awning deployed and have for decades. For us it's rain, not sun we enjoy our awning. Are there exceptions? Of course there are, and all of us need to accept the responsibility when we screw up.

And I'm just glad to have one that has strong arms to prevent collapsing in the rain. Our Bigfoot awning was 15 years old before it needed the material replaced and it was quite faded. No biggie for us. I've read about the electrical problems, and retractions problems of power awnings on this forum to know that all of us should choose wisely based on their own needs. You have and so have Terry and I.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Awnings are like a lot of discussions, we'll never have a consensus. As long as everyone is respectful for others choices, we're good. I know I'd be happy with either as long as it was standard. Personally, I have other things I'd rather spend my 'option' money on, because both awnings work.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
I keep reading, and talking to other Escape owners, about their electric awning pooling water and dumping it (or the awning will collapse) when in rain (not showers). One said the dumping made for quite a splash underneath the awning. If your's can handle rain, not showers, by continually and evenly letting the water run off without pooling, then I stand corrected.

However, I wonder why others bring the awning partially in, raise the middle of the electric awning with a pole so water can run off like the manual, or just don't deploy the awning at all in the rain.

Enjoy,

Perry
Im assuming you speak from experience and have had both. I have as well and chose this route and made this decision.

For me, heavy rain, no pooling. Just a pole up through the middle (thanks to the forum for the idea) and handles just like yours. If it goes from Pouring to light rain, pole can come down if I want to. (I see it as one pole instead of two, lol, most won’t)

For me, I like the idea of bring the awning in part way, to brighten up the site once in a while if I want a little more light or a lot more, without having to bring it all the way in.

I do understand the idea of not wanting another electric device that can breakdown or saving the extra money, but other than that, I’m digging the power awning. When it breaks down in the future, you may see me swing to you side, but it won’t be because of heavy rain.

Different strokes, I spose.
Vicescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I expect wind, I bring in my manual awning to half way, reducing wind exposure and strengthening the support arms ( because they are shorter ). I did have to get up in the middle of the night once in wind and pouring rain, wearing only my undies to reef the awning, but that's because I was negligent in not bringing it in before bed.
I like that I can slope the awning to shed rain and that it will support side curtains and a screen room ( that I rarely deploy ).
We tend to have a destination and to stay in one place.
Attached Thumbnails
side curtain.jpg   Screen room.jpg  
Old 02-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #38

As anyone who was at the Mississippi River rally in September can vouch, when it rains it rains....here is mine.1/2 deployed (that way the center is supported) shedding heavy thunderstorms, you can see the standing water which shows the amount rain we were getting. Several sites were flooded......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1116.jpg   IMG_1118.jpg   IMG_1119.jpg  
Old 02-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You call that a rain? Where I’m from that’s just a heavy dew. Site 114 stayed dry. Clean living and the ability to read land from 35 years of experience and instruction from the old man. Final approval by my trusty wife don’t hurt either. And always look up for hangers, bad crotches, hollow limbs, and other suspect tree defects. There’s a reason they call them widow makers. Don’t forget green in the hull walnuts the size of clementines on those river bottom black walnut trees.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
From my perspective, you just put me down.
Sorry that you misinterpreted my intent. Darn writing instead of chatting. I just wanted to stand up for myself and others who have an electric awning and overall enjoy it, and do use it in the rain every time it does rain.

Sorry again for what must have been a bad choice of words on my part. My written communication is not as good as my vocal one in person.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote