Manual or power canopy - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21c
Manual or power canopy

We have ordered our 21 and are choosing options. I’d love to hear pros and cons on
Power versus manual canopy. Just read about the power canopy that opened on its own,
and which is superior when it comes to wind etc. I like the clean look of the powered canopy but wonder about the reliability of the motor etc. thanks for your comments.
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
If you do a search of the forum you will find this topic has been discussed extensively.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
You can read threads on "awning" by clicking here.

I'm sure you can get lost for hours, so read away!

Not sure how long this link will be valid.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akfishman View Post
and which is superior when it comes to wind etc.
I guess that depends on your point of view. The power awning retracts when the breeze starts blowing, the manual gives you the choice of when to retract it. Typically we have our flopper stoppers on and our awning stays out long after a power awning would have retracted.

But, as has been pointed out, there has been extensive discussion before. Those who love their power awnings love them and those who have the manual awnings wouldn't have a power awning.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Yup. The auto awning will retract in a wind, so there is no need to tilt it to shed rain.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yup. The auto awning will retract in a wind, so there is no need to tilt it to shed rain.
Yours does that? I have mine set so doesn't unless it is a severe wind. Not usually much for wind when raining so never a problem shedding the rain.

Then there was the manual awning I had to replace on a previous stick built after it broke the roll bar in a heavy rain.

I've tried both, nothing is perfect. It is just a matter of preferences.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
We have a power awning on our 21. We use it every time we camp--great for shade in the summer. In cooler weather, it provides some shelter and traps a bit of heat from the propane firepit. I am not happy with its performance in the rain, however--even partially retracting it per instructions, it doesn't do a good job shedding rain (sags in the middle).

Wind retraction has not been an issue yet.

Having not had a manual awning for comparison, I can't really give a good side by side. We like the ease of deployment / retraction and probably use it more than we would a manual awning, but it is definitely not perfect.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Here's my take. First of all, I agree with Jim Bennett. It is largely a choice as to want you prefer. I am the guy who's auto awning opened in the driveway, while the door was locked. Strange for sure!

My wind sensor goes off after about 30 minutes during most deploys. Once in a while a blast of wind comes thru and it retracts. I like rolling it out about 6 feet. Not near all the way. It does not stay out unless we are under it. I like it. but you have to keep after it.

It is slim and trim. It stays dry during a rain when retracted. It does not get in the way of any windows. Which I like. It goes way out! Way out!

It is more delicate and you want to take great care with it. DO NOT POWER IT UNTIL IT IS TIME TO USE IT. Everyone said it operates at 443.32 hz, including Dometic, and that is a standard garage door frequency! Great (not)!

I would like the simplicity of the manual, but there are drawbacks too. I'll stick with auto for now. Mine goes in for warranty service on the 30th. Once again great!

Maybe others can talk about the shortcomings of the manual as well as the advantages. It's all good!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
I am not happy with its performance in the rain, however--even partially retracting it per instructions, it doesn't do a good job shedding rain (sags in the middle).
When ours is out about 5' there is never an issue with rain. How far out is yours in this situation? I do use a center support when fully extended in the rain, and that works good too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
We have a power awning on our 21. We use it every time we camp--great for shade in the summer. In cooler weather, it provides some shelter and traps a bit of heat from the propane firepit. I am not happy with its performance in the rain, however--even partially retracting it per instructions, it doesn't do a good job shedding rain (sags in the middle).

Wind retraction has not been an issue yet.

Having not had a manual awning for comparison, I can't really give a good side by side. We like the ease of deployment / retraction and probably use it more than we would a manual awning, but it is definitely not perfect.
One consideration that I should have mentioned--we really wanted the frameless windows, which required the power awning.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Boo on frameless windows & power awning. If one really researches you will find many issues for both. Conversely before either were available there were few, if any complaints for framed windows & manual awning.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We have frameless windows and the manual awning.
Mswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Boo on frameless windows & power awning. If one really researches you will find many issues for both. Conversely before either were available there were few, if any complaints for framed windows & manual awning.
Have you had issues with yours, I certainly haven't? But, I have only had them for four years now.

For the most part, it seems on this and many other opinions on choices, it is based on personal choice and justification of these choices, and not experience. If they work for folks, and they get out camping with their choices, all is good.

Heck, I remember when electric windows in cars first came out and folks scoffing at them too, now......
Old 10-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akfishman View Post
Just read about the power canopy that opened on its own...
One more data point: we're wrapping up the fourth year with our 2017 19'. The power awning hasn't given us any problems.

We were advised at our Escape orientation (remember 'orientations'?) to switch off the awning because of the frequency conflict. My wife always remembers. (I don't.)

I would have preferred the manual awning, but in 2017 it wasn't an option. The power awning IS really easy to operate.
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
During a recent 6 month in one spot trip I may have rolled the manual awning up three times. Once set up and tied down on each end of the roller it is good. Lots of rain, never any strong wind. I hauled dozens of power awnings to the dumpster when the owners either were not around or thought it could take the rain and wind.
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
During a recent 6 month in one spot trip I may have rolled the manual awning up three times. Once set up and tied down on each end of the roller it is good. Lots of rain, never any strong wind. I hauled dozens of power awnings to the dumpster when the owners either were not around or thought it could take the rain and wind.
Now that is speaking from experience! Owners may like the electric awnings for convenience and I understand that but let's not try to pretend they are anywhere near as strong as the manual. I too have had our manual awning extended in heavy rain (with a good pitch of course) and moderate winds and never had an issue. I called Carefree once to ask a question and the customer service lady offered that "the Fiesta awnings have very few issues and we are rarely called for parts or replacements. One of our best awnings."
Old 10-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
At some point the posts about power versus manual awning will eclipse the ones on the "climb over" over versus "skoot". But both discussions will on and on.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mswan View Post
We have frameless windows and the manual awning.
I stand corrected—that’s probably the combo I’d go for if I were configuring another trailer. Maybe I have it backwards—power awning required frameless windows? Either way, the frameless windows have been great for the rainy drizzzly climate here. The power awning . . . I’d say the jury’s still out.

While I like the convenience of the power awning, I’d definitely not call it robust. As I mentioned up thread, ours does a poor job of shedding rain and I am forced to periodically push up from underneath to help it dump the accumulated water. It is definitely not a set it and forget arrangement.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I stand corrected—that’s probably the combo I’d go for if I were configuring another trailer. Maybe I have it backwards—power awning required frameless windows?
With the power awning you can have either window type without issue. The manual awning arms can interfere with frameless style windows when open as they project out from the trailer. The awning arms do not interfere with framed "slider" windows.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i like my power awning i don't put it all the way out in the rain and if we leave i put it in -easy just press a button works perfectly
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote