Mattresses?? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Here you go Pat. They highlight their Casita mattresses specifically, but they will make whatever you want.

Casita Travel Trailer Mattress | Southern Mattress
Thanks Dave . Has to be a lot more comfortable then a spring mattress . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We picked up our 19 in September, and have only been out for three outings. We found that the original mattress supplied by ETI was not bad. Better than we thought it would be. We also put a good quality memory foam on top.
The verdict? Almost as comfortable as the large investment mattress at home.
Like others here have said, it’s a personal preference thing.
Oh..and another thing, we ordered 1”x12” Dry Fast foam to put between the mattress and the walls to keep condensation away from the mattress, or at least give it an opportunity to breathe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We find that the mattress in our 17A is good, especially for my back. We have, however, considered the Froli system (that was mentioned on this forum a while back) to improve it, and to ventilate.
https://froli-systems.myshopify.com/...r-sleep-system

Anyone have comments about Froli?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #44
Commercial Member

Trailer: 21 escape
21 ft mattress,

we just picked up our 21 ft on nov 6 , took 4 days to get home near kansas city, I am a used rv dealer and have had occasion to use various fiberglass trailers , I must say the mattress in our 21 ft is great, It has to be the best mattress we've had so far, our last trailer was a 21 big foot and this mattress is more comfortable than it was,
oldstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #45

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Escape 5.0 Mattress Replacement

After a couple of iterations, I've found my perfect solution for a comfortable mattress in my 5.0. I didn't like the original spring mattress because it was both uncomfortable (for me)and too high (thick).

First the height issue. This is probably unique to the 5's, and maybe just the smaller 5.0, but I couldn't sit up without bumping my head on the roof. The original mattress was probably about 10" high. I figured I could make due with a 4 or 5 inch foam mattress. As for the comfort, a foam mattress is what I use at home, and what I like the best.

Plan A:
I just stuffed a 5”, standard length queen into the existing, short space. It fit tight, and angled up at the front (head) a bit, but seemed good from a comfort perspective. It was however, difficult to change bedding due to the tight fit. Also, I was told that condensation might be a problem. The original spring mattress allowed for good ventilation between the warm sleeping surface and the cool base (which is expossed to the exterior). Well, condensation was a huge problem! If it was at all cool at night (i.e. 50's °F) I had to roll up the mattress every morning to let the surfaces dry. What a pain!

Plan B:
Stick with foam, but fix the fit and condensation problem. It so happens that a double mattress is the right length, and only 7" narrower. I figure if I'm sharing the bed with someone, I will like them enough that 7" won't matter… or they'd be sleeping on the dinette. So, I decided on a double size, and it so happens that IKEA makes a variety of foam mattress to choose from. I settled on a 5" Meistervik, which is the right firmness for me… at least when combined with a slated base. The Lonset base (available in double) turns out to be the perfect solution. It fits equally well into the allotted space, provides over an inch of ventilation between the mattress and floor, and the combination is still low enough that I can sit up!

So I realize the most of the problems may be specific to the 5.0, but, the idea of the slated bed base may help others with condensation problems in trailers where the space below the bed is not heated.
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That's one of the reasons that I also installed the IKEA slatted base in my 19.

Most folks may consider the area under the bed to be "inside" the trailer but I don't. I treat it as an unheated crawl space. Things like the exterior hatch are at the same ambient temperature as the exterior. The area doesn't receive heated air and there's no circulation of heated air. I put an inch of foam board under the deck and the slatted base on top which also isolates the mattress from the cold deck. I did the mod because of the comfort of the slats but keeping the mattress off the cold deck and reducing the chance of condensation is a side benefit.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P1010009_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
On our 21', I suppose that we could open one of the little doors at the foot of the bed in colder weather and let the area underneath become more or less heated. That might possibly work on a 19' but there are bigger doors that would be in your way. We have two little doors on our 21'. The space is bigger on the 19' also since the bed is bigger. We have the bath on one side so that side is mostly heated. A 17' or 15' would be smaller spaces to get the heat into from the inside.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Or one can just Camp in “Seventy Degrees”
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #49

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Or one can just Camp in “Seventy Degrees”
And we know that's Fahrenheit!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
On our 21', I suppose that we could open one of the little doors at the foot of the bed in colder weather and let the area underneath become more or less heated. That might possibly work on a 19' but there are bigger doors that would be in your way. We have two little doors on our 21'. The space is bigger on the 19' also since the bed is bigger. We have the bath on one side so that side is mostly heated. A 17' or 15' would be smaller spaces to get the heat into from the inside.
Cathy we have the foam under the trailer . Also put a nice rug down under the bed . Also have sectioned off both sides with some thin ply . I think the IKEA slate system is a great idea . But after changing out so many water pumps , I need to be able to get to my little access door under the mattress easily . Laying on my side through the bed doors hurts a lot to get to the pump to change it out . Reminds me need to add my little tank and see if I can change the orientation a little under the bed . Another project , another day . Pat
Old 11-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We have the bath on one side so that side is mostly heated.

I did not know the baths in the 21 were heated?
Old 11-23-2017, 11:27 PM   #52

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
First thing we did when picking up our 5 TA was bring a new custom cut queen size foam mattress with a built in memory foam topper. Also custom cut. We are memory foam fans. Not big on coil mattresses. It’s an individual thing!
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:12 AM   #53

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Condensation under the mattress can be gradual or extreme depending on temperatures and ventilation.

You'd be surprised how much warm humid air is given off by your body at night. This is invariably absorbed by the mattress. If there is a cool (doesn't have to be cold) surface below the mattress, without ventilation, some degree of condensation may occur. It may not get wet to the touch, but just become damp. Over time, without ventilation, this continuous damp can lead to nasty things. This is especially true during extended periods of use.

But it's all a matter of degrees. Of course the 70 °F rule for camping would help, but if you don't adhere to this, and the mattress base can get "cool", be aware the foam mattresses do not provide the ventilation the original coil spring ones do.

The 5's may be a bit extreme, given the mattress is laying on a surface exposed to outside temperatures. Also, I was living in the trailer for a couple of months, so the damp was building up. I tried rugs and pads, but even in mildly cool weather, they still became damp, and needed to be aired out regularly. The slatted base was ideal. Always dry as a bone under there now.
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:40 AM   #54

Trailer: 2014 17b Escape
the mattress supplied with our 17’ Escape was unbearable for my back. Finally gave in and picked a custom made latex mattress. It is wonderful and I can now enjoy our camper. It is very much based on your issues. It was an expensive solution but for me worth every penny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Clack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I put a thin but quality memory foam pad from Wayfair on top of my new 19 mattress and it works great. There r some mornings when it takes a lot of convincing to get me out of bed...very comfortable and my back can be finicky, but that combo works well for me.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 AM   #56
J&G

Trailer: Escape 19
Select Air Mattress in 19

Will a queen Select Air mattress fit in a 19 with the rounded corners? The weight of regular mattresses has become a problem when making beds, and we try to avoid polyurethane foam.
J&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #57

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&G View Post
Will a queen Select Air mattress fit in a 19 with the rounded corners? The weight of regular mattresses has become a problem when making beds, and we try to avoid polyurethane foam.
You could try what we have done in the past and will be doing with our new 19. That is to put a protective cover (fitted bottom sheet) over the mattress. Then we use a very large sleeping bag with a removable liner inside. The liner is two non fitted sheets sewn together along the bottom and up 1 ft on each side. In each bottom corner is a fabric tie sewn onto the corner of the liner and in the corner of the sleeping bag to keep everything in place. Bed is easy to make and the liner is quick to remove and clean when we come across some machines on the road. We found 3 liners were plenty to have on hand during our cross country trip.
Hope this helps.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&G View Post
Take measurements width and length. I believe they sell 2 queens, a RV and regular .it is ok to be a little shorter and smaller then your space in the bed area for air circulation . Pat

Tags
mattress comfort