Mattresses?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
After a long day of hiking in the woods , or along a river, or a day of Fall hunting , I sleep like a baby lying right on good one Mother Earth. The beds in our hunting cabin are a sheet of CDX plywood with a sleeping bag on top.
Everyone has their own standard for comfort , mine is extremely
low.
If I want a sore back or shoulders then I sleep on a foam pad or a soft mattress !!
Steve when I was a lot younger I could sleep on anything even the floor . Not anymore .It's a running joke in my family my hunt for a bed to sleep on . Finally years ago found Select Comfort and have added a 3 in latex topper to that and finally have been happy . I can't deal with hard surface to sleep on at all .you are lucky to be able to sleep on hard surfaces . Now the pillows are hard to find the right ones . Getting older is not fun at all . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I can nap anywhere, in a chair, on the hard ground, in most any position, but a nap is only 5-15 minutes, not enough time to be uncomfortable. But for a nights sleep I do like comfort, as for the most part it lessens the amount of waking I do during the night.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I can nap anywhere, in a chair, on the hard ground, in most any position, but a nap is only 5-15 minutes, not enough time to be uncomfortable. But for a nights sleep I do like comfort, as for the most part it lessens the amount of waking I do during the night.
Funny you mention naps Jim , would you believe I can nap in a chair but as you say 5-15 min. Pat
Old 11-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #24

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Basically you'll want to get what you sleep on at home - if you like what you're sleeping on at home, that is.

We've been sleeping on Select Comfort/Sleep By Number beds for over 25 years and it was a no-brainer for us to not get their mattress and put one in.

For the 21, the full bed fits, although it's a bit shorter at top. I've filled that area with foam so my pillow doesn't fall down in the gap and there's also room up there for a bin of stuff (like travel alarm, etc) and the pump for the bed. I could have put it under the platform, but this way it's accessible. And I can put my sound machine on top of it. I'm 5'10" and the bed is long enough for me.

It does hang over the edge a bit, but everyone coming inside the trailer doesn't even notice the narrower gap between the mattress and the counter. After this photo was taken we added a piece of plywood along the entire bottom part of the bed for more support so you can sit on the corner without falling off. I don't lift the bed to access that storage area, so it's not a problem having that there.

I also added 2 L-shaped brackets to keep the mattress from sliding down while in transit. That happened a few times, but not any longer.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05410.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Funny you mention naps Jim , would you believe I can nap in a chair but as you say 5-15 min. Pat
I plan to do just that shortly. I have a short nap almost every day...... love it, as it rids the cobwebs from my brain.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I plan to do just that shortly. I have a short nap almost every day...... love it, as it rids the cobwebs from my brain.
Jim many cultures take their naps every day and they say it is good for the brain . I can focus a lot better after a little nap .Sometimes I need to make room for the nap in the day . Go get your nap ! Pat
Old 11-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Mattress length

Thanks for all your input! So the custom made mattress must be a full XL size to fit the 21'?
godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
My hips hurt with the factory mattress so i got a gel foam topper i need to sleep on something soft so this seems like it will work. I was afraid the latex would be too firm and i have done well with gel foam before . If i get hot i crack a window and throw off the covers do that at home too.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
My hips hurt with the factory mattress so i got a gel foam topper i need to sleep on something soft so this seems like it will work. I was afraid the latex would be too firm and i have done well with gel foam before . If i get hot i crack a window and throw off the covers do that at home too.
Fox hunt the latex comes in different density We have the softest they make . The problem with memory foam it will get hard when it is cold and many complain it makes them hot . The latex , you want Talay which comes from the rubber plants . It recovers , is not affected by cold . It won't make you hot . It is a natural product , the foams are man made . The good latex isn't cheap though . Pat
Old 11-16-2017, 06:15 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 21 replaced Casita
We also have a 21 ft with factory mattress. We consider it cruel and unusual punishment. Rock hard. We have ordered but not yet received a three inch Novaform Serafina topper from Costco for about $120. So far, this is our only disappointment with the trailer. An alternative is a custom mattress to fit the strange full width, queen length, and clipped corner. Try

https://www.mattressinsider.com/cust...attresses.html
Old 11-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb1947 View Post
We also have a 21 ft with factory mattress. We consider it cruel and unusual punishment. Rock hard. We have ordered but not yet received a three inch Novaform Serafina topper from Costco for about $120. So far, this is our only disappointment with the trailer. An alternative is a custom mattress to fit the strange full width, queen length, and clipped corner. Try

https://www.mattressinsider.com/cust...attresses.html
Proof that while the stock mattress is fine for lots of people, for others it's clearly not.

If I recall correctly, the mattress supplier used by Escape provides them a 'medium firm' mattress by default. But, they will also provide a softer one by request. I like a firm mattress, but this is perhaps something to consider for those who are waiting for their build date.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 17A
It is hard to find 52 inch mattresses (for the 17A)
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
It is hard to find 52 inch mattresses (for the 17A)
Most any mattress shop, especially the foam ones will make on to size for you.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
With the foam mattresses and an electric knife you can cut them like butter and make any custom size you need in 10 minutes..
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
With the foam mattresses and an electric knife you can cut them like butter and make any custom size you need in 10 minutes..
Yup we cut our foam and Latex for the he corners .Pat
Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Someday we will spring for a good latex setup (that's what we have at home). In the meantime, the stock mattress was a little hard on our hips, too. So we ordered a pair of 25"-wide Thermarest pads... they work very well, and we have even customized the firmness a bit for each of us.

(There are three of us -- Sooz, Tyler and me. Tyler seems to take up 3/4 of the sleeping space, and is content with both firmnesses--sometimes simultaneously).

The Thermarest pads go underneath the mattress pad and a fitted sheet, with a Trava-sak on top. The pads like to creep southward, toward the rear of the trailer, while we sleep. We are thinking of adding some kind of hook-and-loop setup to keep them in place. If all this sounds like too much work... it is.

But at least we sleep well.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Josie and I switched out the factory mattress last year on our trip back home. We stopped at Southern Mattress in NC and ordered one from them. The mattress sleeps much better than the one supplied by Escape. The one thing we did was to have them clip off the diagonal corners 12"x12" so we could turn the mattress over or around as needed. Southern took our original mattress and made a template of it . Since they did not have the foam in stock they shipped it to us a week or two later. They kept the template for future orders if needed.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
Someday we will spring for a good latex setup (that's what we have at home). In the meantime, the stock mattress was a little hard on our hips, too. So we ordered a pair of 25"-wide Thermarest pads... they work very well, and we have even customized the firmness a bit for each of us.

(There are three of us -- Sooz, Tyler and me. Tyler seems to take up 3/4 of the sleeping space, and is content with both firmnesses--sometimes simultaneously).

The Thermarest pads go underneath the mattress pad and a fitted sheet, with a Trava-sak on top. The pads like to creep southward, toward the rear of the trailer, while we sleep. We are thinking of adding some kind of hook-and-loop setup to keep them in place. If all this sounds like too much work... it is.

But at least we sleep well.
Don't laugh in the past if we needed to go to a hotel we each had the cushy 3 in thermarest air mattress to lay on top of their beds . Using your pads under your topper is a lot like what we have . Our adjustable air mattress 's are 2 in thick under the latex topper . On the bottom sitting on the wood is a Select comfort 2 in foam which actually protects the air mattress , then the air mattress , then the latex topper . We had a old sleeping bag with a flannel lining inside the bag . Linda cut and sewed all the corners to wrap around so it encloses and fits all bed . It keeps it all together . So nice to lay on the flannel for sleeping . We have a nice comforter set from IKEA for the top which also is our top sheet . Since we have the 19 , if I need to get access under the bed it is so much easier to move the mattress pieces aside to get under bed access with our bed we made now . Got to be comfortable t get good sleep. Pat
Old 11-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
Josie and I switched out the factory mattress last year on our trip back home. We stopped at Southern Mattress in NC and ordered one from them. The mattress sleeps much better than the one supplied by Escape. The one thing we did was to have them clip off the diagonal corners 12"x12" so we could turn the mattress over or around as needed. Southern took our original mattress and made a template of it . Since they did not have the foam in stock they shipped it to us a week or two later. They kept the template for future orders if needed.
Curious what is Southern mattress ? There are a lot of new mattress out there now just in case for information . Thanks , Pat
Old 11-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Curious what is Southern mattress ? There are a lot of new mattress out there now just in case for information . Thanks , Pat
Here you go Pat. They highlight their Casita mattresses specifically, but they will make whatever you want.

Casita Travel Trailer Mattress | Southern Mattress
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress comfort