Mattresses again... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Bobbie,

May I suggest the IKEA bed slat solution? As a side sleeper as well, it was a revelation when I did this mod to my 19’. They design them so the slats under the hips and shoulders have more give than the rest of the bed. They are pretty easy to assemble and made the stock mattress behave like it was on a full box spring foundation. Bonus is the air circulation to reduce condensation which as you know in the Puget Sound area can be an issue. Here is a link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/p...132211556208_1

we did this to our 21 and it makes a world of difference. Also if you are patient and a lover of IKEA As-Is you might find one there as we did and got it at 75% off
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Do they make latex mattresses that are extra extra firm .
I would rather sleep on a rock or plywood than sleep on a soft piece of foam
I believe that is the reason I don’t like ( Wife Loves ) the foam mattress in our Casita
We’ve tried a mattress topper but for me , it just made a bad situation worse
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Do they make latex mattresses that are extra extra firm .
I would rather sleep on a rock or plywood than sleep on a soft piece of foam
I believe that is the reason I don’t like ( Wife Loves ) the foam mattress in our Casita
We’ve tried a mattress topper but for me , it just made a bad situation worse
Hi Steve . Yes they do . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
That looks interesting- when it says assembly required, how much assembly?

Just saw they have an adjustable base . That's tempting! I'll have to look into this a little more. I sleep on an adjustable bed at home and almost always have the head raised.

But... read the reviews. Hard to raise, you need access to both sides of the bed as it raises in two halves.
Assembly is easy, the wood slats slide into the rubber sides... you will need to trim the wood slats to fit your bed size( in our 21 i think i had to trim off 4-6").
Old 05-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #25

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I use a Select Comfort/Sleep by Number full size bed in our trailer. Same brand that I've been using at home for years so I wanted the same thing in the trailer.

Yes, it's shorter than the bed frame, but that's okay as I put the bed pump at the top, along with a small bin of things like my travel alarm, etc. And some pieces of foam in the middle for the pillow to rest on.

Yes, it sticks out on the end by the kitchen cabinet/door, but that's okay too. I still have plenty of room to move back and forth. We put a piece of plywood under the end of the bed so there's support for the part of the mattress that sticks out from frame. Dirk also put 2 L shape brackets at the end by the furnace as the mattress was sliding down while in transit. Not any longer!

I also put 2 yoga mats underneath which help with the cold air from the storage area underneath coming up through the bed. I really noticed the difference when I dry camped in the same place 2 weeks apart - same temperature conditions and the bed was much warmer.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Casita
When I bought my current Escape 19 it had a 10” Queen foam mattress. It was so heavy I couldn’t even lift one corner. Additionally, it was so tall it was like crawling up into a dark cave back there. So even though it was fairly new and in great shape I sold it and got a 6” which I LOVE. It’s so easy to lift it up to get under it and to put sheets on. Love it! I was worried the 6” wouldn’t be thick enough to support me but it is great.

I had a 4” memory foam topper on top of camper cushions in a prior camper and they were too soft and made for miserable sleeping. It was hard to even get up out of the bed!

Here is the one I got. There are other brands also. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Plan A is put the cushions back under the trifold and see if it fixes the problem.
But first I want to get the cushions out of their plastic bags and put them in the sun for a few hours to air them out.

Plan B may be to try the old mattress over or under the trifold.

Plan C is a new mattress.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:35 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Recommend considering the FROLI "Travel" System for the mattress support. There are several mentions of Froli in other posts.
For the mattress, recommend considering best of materials, a combination mattress such as the Wool & Latex Mattress. There are many options, including inner spring.

We have the Froli system to install in our new 19'.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:15 AM   #29

Trailer: 2020 E19
Hi,
We spent a few years with a number of uncomfortable sleeping arrangements in our sailboat. Finally found the Handcraft Mattress Company. They build a bed from a pattern you send. Ours was queen sized at the head of the bed and tapered narrower at the foot. It is foam, with a regular mattress cover. It’s also hinged so you can lift half the bed up and flip it on the other half. The hinge cannot be felt when in the bed and can be configured as you like, back to front or top to bottom. It sleeps like a regular mattress, neither too hot, nor too cold. Ours still lives in the tropics. Best money we ever spent on the boat. Expensive, but without a doubt worth every penny.
kdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:37 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We found that the stock mattress was ok in the beginning but now after taking some longer trips we find it leaves something to be desired . We have a foam matress in our Casita and as others have said , way to hot when the temps are 50 Deg and above .
We are currently looking for a new innerspring mattress .The three biggest obstacles for us are the cut off corner , shipping costs and mattress cost .
Sticking well over $1500 in a mattress for our trailer gives me pause.
Hi: steve dunham... Where else can you stick that kind of money in an Escape trailer?
Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:01 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We've been pretty with just adding a foam topper to the existing mattress: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JVR17F/

The gel foam top layer keeps it from getting way too warm.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #32

I put the trifold over the cushions and it is more comfortable- but very thick. And now back to requiring a ramp or step for my corgi. The Ikea system is tempting but looks like it would be worse than a mattess to remove if I had to get to the storage. (I can get to it with the trifold over the cushions.) What I might need is something made like cushions or the trifold but only about 2" thick.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:43 PM   #33

We've used this wonderful topper for many years. It's not cheap, but it makes a real difference. You spend 1/3 of your life in bed, so make it the best rest you can - especially when your bed is in your Escape trailer.

73/gus
Old 05-31-2019, 10:15 PM   #34

I was finally able to get a little bit of time to pull up the mattress and take some photos
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190531_142254.jpg   IMG_20190531_142303.jpg   IMG_20190531_142316a.jpg  
Old 05-31-2019, 10:59 PM   #35

Thanks.. how easy is that to move if you wanted to move it?
Old 06-01-2019, 12:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Thanks.. how easy is that to move if you wanted to move it?
Very easy to move. Notice that I have the them cut to match the Storage Hatch and H2O pump & heater service.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #37

Are those separate pieces? (4? 2?)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #38

Froli Travel installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Recommend considering the FROLI "Travel" System for the mattress support. There are several mentions of Froli in other posts.
This is our layout of the Froli Travel. Because we wanted the more firm support (i.e., short spacing between bases), we need 12 more and some half-sizes for the corners.

Top view - partial

Side view

We have our Escape OEM mattress on top of the Froli, and we have the Vispring Heaven Luxury Supreme topper. The initial feel is GREAT, and it raises us up about 3-4 inches. Many nights experimenting are in order.

73/gus
Old 06-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #39

Interesting. I ended up buying a mattress similar to my home one- just put it in and it seems like it will work perfectly. But I'll keep that in mind- this one can move upstairs to the guest bed if I decide it does not work for the trailer.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
we had a 3" thick foam topper (from costco) on top of our OEM mattress in our 21 for this last road trip, because my wife needs softer... the height made getting in and out of bed challenging for her with her short legs. We're thinking of having a local mattress company make us a custom mattress thats the stock thickness with a dense foam for the lower 2/3rds and a soft foam for the top 1/3rd.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote