Media centre for Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Media centre for Escape

Presumably, I will get the buyout the company is offering, since they have too many photogs and since it is by seniority in a classification, and I've got 40 years in, I am at the top.

That also means that this MacBook Pro and the Nikon d3 etc. will no longer be in my possession, so I'm thinking what to replace it with. I have no intention of spending any money on PhotoShop or Final Cut Pro or camera equipment. If I have to take a picture, I've got my Canon G11.

So, do I need a MacBook or would an iPad suffice for somebody that thinks there have already been too many pixels wasted on photography?

baglo
Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Re: Media centre for Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo

That also means that this MacBook Pro and the Nikon d3 etc. will no longer be in my possession, so I'm thinking what to replace it with. I have no intention of spending any money on PhotoShop or Final Cut Pro or camera equipment. If I have to take a picture, I've got my Canon G11.

So, do I need a MacBook or would an iPad suffice for somebody that thinks there have already been too many pixels wasted on photography?

baglo
Glenn:

I have had a MacBook Pro for more than two years and would not be without it.

Ways in which I use it whether at home or when trailering:

1. keeps my file of photos tidy with iPhoto, and allows simple editing with Photoshop Elements (the poor man's Photoshop)
2. keeps me in contact with family and friends through email, Skype etc
3. keeps me in touch with the fiberglass community through forums
4. allows me to post pictures through Flickr and view those of family and friends
5. lets my wife and me watch DVD movies when we are camping (we don't have a portable DVD player in our trailer)
6. lets me search the world for information through Google using the great Safari browser
7. lets me pay bills and transfer money between accounts
8. lets me order stuff I need (or can rationalize) online through Amazon or similar sites
9. lets me load new software onto my camera and GPS unit

I don't have an iPad or a cell phone but somehow am surviving.

Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #3

So, how much of that could I do or not do with an iPad?

Not having a USB port annoys me for a start...

baglo
Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #4

Glenn:

I am no expert on the iPad, but I found this article which discusses the iPad vs MacBook Pro -- MacBook Pro is the better performer according to it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-ipad-failings

I suppose the choice depends on what you are expecting of the device: they are not meant to perform the same function. It probably also depends on what other products you already have. If you have a laptop already, an iPad might give you additional features. I don't think you could depend on an iPad alone.

Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #5

It really depends on what you want to do with the iPad. I have one, absolutely love it, but still need a MacBook. The iPad does Scrabble, email, web surfing, stargazing, movie watching, music, reading, bird watching, picture viewing, drawing, and most other things super well. The battery really does last a long time and charges quickly.

The MacBook stores the movies and is an easier portal for downloading and transferring photos.

Does that help?
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I currently use a MacBookPro as my only Mac computer.

The iPad may be fun, and certainly has some useful applications, however it won't (at least as yet) cut it as support for a camera. Although the camera adapter is available, it isn't a true USB port so you can't back up your data directly to a portable hard disk. The photo editing applications are fairly limited, and working with large numbers of images is difficult, at least compared to Lightroom or Aperture.

All in all, it is a very useful device, but I don't think it is ready to replace a laptop.

The hardest part for me would be giving up the D3!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Glenn I have to agree about the iPad probably not being all you would want. I have made the same consideration to try to be more minimalist in what we take along. FYI the latest version of PhotoShop Elements is quite cheap and has probably 80-90% of the full PhotoShop features - all I ever seem to need for home use. Honestly with most of my pictures I just use iPhoto now that it has stolen some editing features from Aperture and I love the way it helps me be organized.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #8

Macbook.. it just seems that it can do everything you'll want it to for basically $600 more and you'll probably keep at least 3-4 years.. over time it's like around $150 more a year to save you on some frustration level that the iPad can't meet (plus you may have to buy some additional attachments for the iPad to meet your requirements anyway..)

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

It seems we are sharing not only our taste for travel trailers, hihi! I have a MacBook Pro since 2006, and love it. I second Jeff's idea of looking into a MacBook instead the iPad. The iPad is just missing too much yet. I am sure though that a later generation iPad would do, but that is down the road!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

I also vote MacBook ... once you buy a keyboard for an iPad, the savings isn't that great. I think they're tremendous for urban use (subways, etc) and for toting on a plane, but if it's to be your primary machine ... not quite.

~e
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #11

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

Add us to the list of happy MacBook users. We've each got one and often take one with us on the road. Definitely does everything we need.

Coincidentally, my father-in-law has an iPad and loves it but he doesn't use it as a replacement for his laptop. It's more of a toy for him right now.

I too am interested to see how the iPad evolves as they release new versions down the road. I do have to say that the screen resolution is impressive. Maybe one day...

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #12

When the iPad first came out we did a story on a local tech wiz and of course he had one. I mentioned the lack of USB and he directed me to a product that for only $260 serves some function I don't understand that serves as a USB. I think it was a personal localized Wi-Fi. Like I'm going to spend $260 for a USB port that should have been there in the first place.

I'll be going with the MacBook ( maybe Pro, maybe not ), but I have no plans to replace the company cell phone. Nobody calls me anyway.

And, to keep myself busy, I am forming S.P.S.

Save the Pixels Society.

The mission statement is not fully formed, but in essence is to stop people from taking pictures and video and to simply enjoy the experience of being there.

baglo
Old 09-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
...Save the Pixels Society.

The mission statement is not fully formed, but in essence is to stop people from taking pictures and video and to simply enjoy the experience of being there.

baglo
Sign me up. I have watched people so engrossed with picture taking at incredibly beautiful places that I think that they haven't really seen anything other than thru a view finder.

"Where ever you go, there you are...."

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #14

Interesting the so many of us Escape owners are Mac users too. I guess we appreciate quality products! And no I am NOT trying to start one of those silly Mac v. PC wars.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #15

Quote:

And, to keep myself busy, I am forming S.P.S.

Save the Pixels Society.

baglo
Glenn:

I see taking pictures as being part of "being there", as long as there is some balance. How else will you be able to capture a fleeting image? How else can you share a visual experience with others? I see the growth of digital photography and the sharing of images on internet to be a sign of more and more people appreciating beauty rather than a scourge that needs to be stamped out.

You are ending a significant part of your life devoted to photography. Why not explore new horizons and take just the pictures you want to take? Why not share your visual experiences and skill with your fans and bring joy to the world?

Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
Old 09-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #16

I think I need at least six months off first.

baglo
Old 09-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: gbaglo... What would life be without a "Kodak Moment"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #18

besides, I want a free Escape calendar.

baglo