Mirror extensions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 19’ Escape 2020
Mirror extensions

Picking up my 19 on Friday. . My extension mirrors did not show up in time. My TV is a Highlander. Do I need them?
Scotttbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yep- to be legal and otherwise be able to see behind. I needed the Millencos on my Highlander for a 17B.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #3

I picked up a pair of Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirrors. Figured I need them. Thx for the response.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
This may, or may not, apply to your situation, Scottbaum, but its worth making sure. I tow with a Nissan Frontier, and the shape of the factory mirrors is such that none of the clip -on mirrors I have tried mount securely. You can follow my route around the country by the glitter of broken mirror glass along the side of the highway.

I finally solved the problem by using zip ties to secure the clip-ons to the factory mirrors. In my case, I found 12" ties linked together work the best. My cheapest source has been Harbor Freight Tools, though you can find them at any hardware store or Wally World.

Have fun with what I hope will become your new favorite toy.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
George, I don't understand how you used zip ties or why so many- can you show.a picture? I have the same problem with the Ridgeline. (I can see legally fine- but I would prefer using a mirror extension at least on the left.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #6

Bobbie54, I'd be delighted to provide a photo if I could--but I'm a technological Neanderthal, something I'll have to work on.

My clip-ons want to slide off to the outside due to the shape of the factory mirrors. To prevent that, I loop the ties through the upper outside clip of the clip-on and beneath the lower inner edge of the factory mirror frame on the Nissan. Exactly where you run the loop depends on your particular factory mirror and clip-on mirror. I'm not familiar with the Ridgeline, but hopefully there's a way to make a loop. The clip-on is held securely in place, but because the zip ties are irreversible, they need to be cut with a knife or wire cutters when you need to remove the clip-ons, necessitating a new zip tie for reattaching the clip-on the next time you need it.

Now that I think of it, you should be able to use 10 or 20 pound mono-filament fishing line in place of the zip ties at considerably less expense. Think I'll try that idea out tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:05 AM   #7

Thanks for the ideas. I’ll play with them before I pick up my new play toy on Friday. I attached one tonight and tugged pretty hard. It stayed in place. The mirror has small fins on top so I’m hoping they will help to keep it in place.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:39 PM   #8

Scottbaum, if the upper and lower edges of your Toyota mirrors are parallel, you will probably have no problems. Mine are not parallel, which makes the clip-on mirrors inclined to slide off, thus the need to tie them on with the zip ties or fishing line.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:35 PM   #9

Not really parallel. Top tapers down a bit. I’ll play with it. If all else fails I do have zip ties and fishing line. Thanks George.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #10

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotttbaum View Post
I picked up a pair of Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirrors. Figured I need them. Thx for the response.
Good set. I use these on my 4Runner.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotttbaum View Post
Not really parallel. Top tapers down a bit. I’ll play with it. If all else fails I do have zip ties and fishing line. Thanks George.
You won't need those things. Practice install/remove/install a couple of times. They will stay on.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #12

Will do. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I could never find clip-on mirrors that fit my Jeep GC well so I use McKesh towing mirrors. Not the prettiest but they do the job and I know they're not going to fall off! I'm always open to any recommendations for something more inconspicuous.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0645.jpg  
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #14

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
FWIW I use these and my mirrors curve at the outer edge and I've never had a problem. I do check tightness at most stops

.https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
I could never find clip-on mirrors that fit my Jeep GC well so I use McKesh towing mirrors. Not the prettiest but they do the job and I know they're not going to fall off! I'm always open to any recommendations for something more inconspicuous.
Hi Linda, I have these on my F150. they were recommended on this forum and I like them. They are easy on, easy off, very stable, non damaging and look like they are original equipment, not like an add on. They still fold in, the large mirror is the original mirror and can be adjusted inside the vehicle while the small mirror is adjustable, but manually.

I bought mine on Amazon. Brand is CIPA. I see etrailer has them for the Jeep GC.

My mirrors are very stable and vibration free, most of the time when I put them on they are still positioned right for me. My only complaint is if I want to adjust them for another driver they are VERY tight / VERY HARD to adjust. I thought I might be able to lube the mechanism, but I can't get the right angle to do such. I did email the company regarding the tightness of the mirror, I never heard back from them. If I needed to buy again I would likely replace with the same brand due to the other qualities.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post360761
Attached Thumbnails
CIPA 11550 (1).jpg   Emmett's Extended Outside Mirror.jpg  
Old 12-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #16

OK, I finally got around to seeing if I could use mono-filament fishing line rather than zip ties to hold my clip-on towing mirrors. For my 2017 Nissan Frontier, it worked like a charm. Will be doing that in the future.

Got to rummaging around on You Tube, and found reference to permanent towing mirrors for installation on Nissan and most other vehicles at www.1aauto.com. The product looks good, the price looks good for what you get, but I decided that it wasn't for me due to the fact the mirrors are about double the size of my stock mirrors, and would block too much of my side vision. But that's just me.

I looked at their offerings for other vehicles, and the mirrors appear to be smaller for those than the ones that are designed for my Frontier. If you want a permanent solution for your towing mirror concerns, you might find what suits you there.

Perhaps someone on this site has used these mirrors, and will chime in.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Scottbaum, if the upper and lower edges of your Toyota mirrors are parallel, you will probably have no problems. Mine are not parallel, which makes the clip-on mirrors inclined to slide off, thus the need to tie them on with the zip ties or fishing line.
Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirrors on slooping mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1177.jpg