MN trailer registration tax interpretation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
MN trailer registration tax interpretation

So I got my 2022 RV plate renewal bill today, $260 for our 2021 5.0. Seemed high, so I started to look a little closer. First thing I noticed was that they had the trailer listed as having a GVW of 54,999 lbs. Aha I thought, that's it. So I took my renewal form over to the local MN driver and vehicle services office and got in line. When it was my turn, I explained the problem, pointing out the incorrect weight. I was told that the tax has nothing to do with the weight, it's based on the model year. Huh, I thought and with that paid the renewal. But it was still bothering me so I went home and started digging through the statutes. To my non-legal eye, it looks like MN RV trailer registration taxes are indeed based on weight, specifically 30% of the table 1e. Table 1e says that for a trailer between the 4,501 and 6,000 lbs, the rate is $45; x 30% is $13.50. That's more like it! So now I've filed an appeal. We'll see what they say.

It's entirely possible that I have misinterpreted the statute, wouldn't be the first time. Any other MN 5.0 owners out there looking at their 2022 renewals? What are you being charged?

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/168.013
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:02 PM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Just got the notice for our 2018 5.0 for $20.25.

GVW: 6,000 lbs.

Registration fee: $11
Filing fee: $7
Tech surcharge: $2.25

Tomorrow we go to Rochester to buy our 5.0 tags and the tags for our 2019 F150. Don't even want to talk about the F150 tags!

PM me your email and I'll send you a photo of our renewal notice.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
That sounds more like it, thanks Perry.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
So I got my 2022 RV plate renewal bill today, $260 for our 2021 5.0. Seemed high, so I started to look a little closer. First thing I noticed was that they had the trailer listed as having a GVW of 54,999 lbs. Aha I thought, that's it. So I took my renewal form over to the local MN driver and vehicle services office and got in line. When it was my turn, I explained the problem, pointing out the incorrect weight. I was told that the tax has nothing to do with the weight, it's based on the model year. Huh, I thought and with that paid the renewal. But it was still bothering me so I went home and started digging through the statutes. To my non-legal eye, it looks like MN RV trailer registration taxes are indeed based on weight, specifically 30% of the table 1e. Table 1e says that for a trailer between the 4,501 and 6,000 lbs, the rate is $45; x 30% is $13.50. That's more like it! So now I've filed an appeal. We'll see what they say.

It's entirely possible that I have misinterpreted the statute, wouldn't be the first time. Any other MN 5.0 owners out there looking at their 2022 renewals? What are you being charged?

Looks like you're right. The tax on a 54,999 GVWR trailer is $260 (30% of $865) so it seems that's how the state calculated your tax. Good luck on your appeal. Let us know.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I find it amazing how DMV workers in most (maybe all) states do not know the regulations, but are sure they do. Go to another clerk and you will often get an entirely different result. Even the supervisors at different locations have different interpretations of the rules.

Never take a first opinion as fact - it is only a fact for that individual...
Old 11-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 E19
Paid the fees for the E19 earlier this month. Registration due to expire in December 2021. Today, the new tags arrived, and it looks like Arizona had decided to give you 11 months registration for the price of 12, 'cause the new tags say Nov 2022. This comes after they've had to admit this month that their computer failed to send out D.L. renewal notices to an unknown number of Arizona license holders.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Received an application for a "Real ID" for Pennsylvania? Appears to be something new? Anyone else have a "real ID" issued by their state and what does it mean?
Old 11-22-2021, 03:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Received an application for a "Real ID" for Pennsylvania? Appears to be something new? Anyone else have a "real ID" issued by their state and what does it mean?
See https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

and this for PA https://www.dmv.pa.gov/realid/pages/default.aspx

Not particularly new, perhaps you're just getting notice because of your DL renewal interval (or maybe PA is lagging?)

TX has been issuing "DHS Real ID" complaint DL's / ID's since 2016 (yes, got mine on last DL renewal in 2018).
Old 11-22-2021, 06:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Question We paid $20.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post

We paid ours last week. 2019 5.0 was $20.25 Minnesota.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:

Yes, we have it and recommend it for our others in our family. Note the date has slid back several times over the years.

Short version: "Beginning May 3, 2023, Pennsylvanians will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, photo ID card, or another form of federally-acceptable identification (such as a valid passport or military ID) to board a domestic commercial flight or enter a federal building or military installation that requires ID."
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:

I got a "Real ID" when I renewed my D.L. in Calif., mostly for those times when I fly (per fed. req's).
The difficult part was the birth certificate. I was born in Lycoming Co., PA, and Susquehanna River flooding over the years has destroyed the storage locations of Lycoming County records multiple times (my parents and grandparents had stories about work-arounds). I had to get an embossed/signed copy from the State, and it took about half a year to get. Even though I have my original hospital birth cert. document, signed by the doctor, showing I am who I think I am, the State document was required.
The funny part is that the embossed/signed State document just says I was born in Lycoming County on such and so date, but says nothing about where in the County.

Bottom line: start early to get your required documents!
Edit: If you are a Veteran, at least in Calif., you can get "Veteran" noted on your D.L. for $5 additional bucks. You just need to get a form VSD-001 signed by your Veterans Service Officer, to take to the DMV.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I got a "Real ID" when I renewed my D.L. in Calif., mostly for those times when I fly (per fed. req's).
The difficult part was the birth certificate. I was born in Lycoming Co., PA, and Susquehanna River flooding over the years has destroyed the storage locations of Lycoming County records multiple times (my parents and grandparents had stories about work-arounds). I had to get an embossed/signed copy from the State, and it took about half a year to get. Even though I have my original hospital birth cert. document, signed by the doctor, showing I am who I think I am, the State document was required.
The funny part is that the embossed/signed State document just says I was born in Lycoming County on such and so date, but says nothing about where in the County.

Bottom line: start early to get your required documents!
Edit: If you are a Veteran, at least in Calif., you can get "Veteran" noted on your D.L. for $5 additional bucks. You just need to get a form VSD-001 signed by your Veterans Service Officer, to take to the DMV.
I already have the "Flag" designation on my license for that........thanks for reminding me and others.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I find it amazing how DMV workers in most (maybe all) states do not know the regulations, but are sure they do. Go to another clerk and you will often get an entirely different result. Even the supervisors at different locations have different interpretations of the rules.

Never take a first opinion as fact - it is only a fact for that individual...
These are wise words to live by and they don't stop at the local DMV!!! This happens in all sorts of walks of life. I had it happen at a pharmacy. I pointed it out to the technician, gave her my cell number and asked her to call me when they have the correct data on the meds.

The call came about 45 minutes later with the correct and verified answer and a short, curt apology. Always question authority and everybody else for that matter. Apply critical thought!

It pays off!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
If you are a Veteran, at least in Calif., you can get "Veteran" noted on your D.L. for $5 additional bucks. You just need to get a form VSD-001 signed by your Veterans Service Officer, to take to the DMV.
California charges for vet designation on DL!?!

In TX it's free when DD-214 copy is presented at license renewal (more documentation required if seeking disabled vet designation, but still free).
Old 11-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

In TX it's free when DD-214 copy is presented at license renewal (more documentation required if seeking disabled vet designation, but still free).
Oregon is also free. Good for 10% off at Lowes on everything!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

The CA charge pays for the clerk's time: i.e.: looking at the VSD-001, and then checking a box on the computer screen. (Everything's more expensive in CA!).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:55 PM   #17

Trailer: A future 5.0, 2024 Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Oregon is also free. Good for 10% off at Lowes on everything!
As does Home Depot and Northern Tool. It can really add up!
Old 11-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
$260 sounds pretty good to me, our first renewal was over $400 here in Colorado. Our second renewal comes here in January and I'm hoping it comes down. I can't complain over all, our property taxes in Ouray County are very low and state income taxes are in the middle of the range. https://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/income-tax-by-state
I see Colorado is 4.63% where as Minnesota is 5.35% - 9.85%.

"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."

Benjamin Franklin
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
We still do "ad valorem" taxes for trailers in GA, so my 2020 19' cost $285.18 to renew.
At least they have free drivers licenses for Veterans, and my 2019 Ranger only cost $1 for the mail fee to register since it has a free "retired USAF plate", and motor vehicles don't use the "ad valorem" calculation any more.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:19 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Oregon charges based on overall length, not weight. My 16 ft pickup camper was the same as my 16 ft Casita, and the former never even touched the road.............duh!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote