Mouse Question ( real mouse) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Rhubarb made with Glenn's garden variety....I wish I could taste my mother's rhubarb pie once more....
Old 08-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
....I wish I could taste my mother's rhubarb pie once more....

My dad used to say that once in a while, after we moved from Lycoming Co. to Ventura Co. (CA). Then, when my grandparents moved out here, Grandma planted rhubarb, but... it was not the same.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I used to talk about my mother's scalloped potatoes. Finally my wife asked mom for the recipe.
It was Betty Crocker, from a box.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #24

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Try to visit Great Smokey Mountain NP next summer, specifically Elkmont, Tn where the fireflies for 3 weeks are synchronized, daylight then darkness, all together. Really a sight to see, as if someone was turning a light on and off.
Synchronized fireflies, Jim! Never knew such creatures existed! Thanks for sharing this fabulous phenomenon!

I grew up in the Piedmont area of North Carolina - just sold my house there - where "lightning bugs" (the common variety) are among the first heralds of summer, accompanied by cicadas and tree frogs. SOJOURNER will allow me to come and go whenever I like, and next May will surely find me on my sister's back porch in NC. I'll remain there to enjoy the dogwoods, azaleas, and summer's sweet awakening - then leave when the mosquitoes begin biting as the worst of summer's heat begins to set in. Who knows? Maybe I'll coax her and my BIL into going with me to experience the synchronized fireflies. According to this article, they can be found not too far away and in spots far less populated by crowds of people. And we can now camp out - inside! https://www.rei.com/blog/news/rare-f...north-carolina

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I chased wood rats (aka packrats) out of my 1993 Mercedes cabriolet (convertible) with mothball bars, like these, https://www.amazon.com/6OZ-Moth-Bar-.../dp/B0037PGI60

I cut the hook off them, one lives under the hood in a handy flat space behind the driver-side headlight, and the other lives in the bottom of the compartment that the convertible top folds up into. they last a few months in warm weather, probably longer in cold. yes, my car has that faint mothball smell when its parked, but driving open top, you don't smell a thing.

beats finding one of these every week...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #26

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I chased wood rats (aka packrats) out of my 1993 Mercedes cabriolet (convertible) with mothball bars, like these, https://www.amazon.com/6OZ-Moth-Bar-.../dp/B0037PGI60
Well done, John! I'd gladly endure the mothball smell to rid myself of destructive pack rats! Gonna put your idea in my file against the day I may have to use it!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
First experience winterizing, searching threads for advice on keeping mice out. I have a hard time keeping them out of our shed and I'm sure they would enjoy the comfort of our Escape. We don't have cats and our dog is too upset over deer to worry about mice.

The moth bars sounded OK until I looked at the label and it said dichlorobenzene... that sounds possibly carcinogenic to people in addition to toxic for moths!

I laughed at the photos of soap bars with tooth-marks. Noted.

Do dryer sheets work? any favorite brands?
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have kept my Escapes outside since 2013. Never had any mice issues nor signs of entrance...my tow vehicles however are garaged.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #29
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We've seen occasional rodents in our backyard (probably coming from our neighbor who have chickens) so just to be on the safe side I threw a few of these pouches in our shed and in the trailer (near all the external hatches) https://www.amazon.com/Grandpa-Guss-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=. Can't really say how effective these are since we've not left any door/hatch accidentally open (yet!)... but I do like the scent. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #30

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:

I cut the hook off them, one lives under the hood in a handy flat space behind the driver-side headlight, and the other lives in the bottom of the compartment that the convertible top folds up into. they last a few months in warm weather, probably longer in cold. yes, my car has that faint mothball smell when its parked, but driving open top, you don't smell a thing.

beats finding one of these every week...
That's a very pretty nest.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
That's a very pretty nest.
heh, yeah.

btw, I gave up on the mothball bars, hated my cars smelling like grandma's closet.

instead, I've been using Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent, which are like giant teabags filled with wood chips soaked in balsam fir oils. they smell pleasant, but they chase the rodents out. I typically stick two under the hood of a car, one on each side, finding somewhere away from engine heat, and they last about 3 months. they come 4 to the box, several local HW stores stock them, or they have them on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L236OMW
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:45 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
We live in the Rocky Mountain foothills west of Boulder, CO. The "urban/wildlands" interface. We had spent >$3,000 repairing rodent chewed wiring on several autos, until we started spreading mothballs under our vehicles and adding the flashing LED "Rid-A-Rat". While I don't know if one or the other works, there's no question that using both sure does. We haven't had an issue since. I feel both are cheap "insurance". Less expensive, at least, then repairing vehicle wiring.

https://www.rid-a-rat.com
Up here in Canada where the salt truck thrive, the smart people oil spray the bodies of their vehicles. Besides stopping the rust, it saves the electrical system. The modern cars use a soy based insulation on the wiring and the mice and chipmunks love it. But they don't like the Oil Guard (franchise).
Old 10-25-2021, 03:54 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Up here in Canada where the salt truck thrive, the smart people oil spray the bodies of their vehicles. Besides stopping the rust, it saves the electrical system. The modern cars use a soy based insulation on the wiring and the mice and chipmunks love it. But they don't like the Oil Guard (franchise).
It would that me, my friends and my family are not amongst the smart Canadian group, yet have never had problems. Maybe our mice and chipmunks are nicer. [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Speaking of nests, let's not leave birds out of this.
Attached Thumbnails
nest1b.jpg  
Old 10-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
The peppermint, cinnamon, and balsam fir oils are definitely more appealing than mothballs! I'm on it... thanks for the suggestions.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
First experience winterizing, searching threads for advice on keeping mice out. I have a hard time keeping them out of our shed and I'm sure they would enjoy the comfort of our Escape. We don't have cats and our dog is too upset over deer to worry about mice.

The moth bars sounded OK until I looked at the label and it said dichlorobenzene... that sounds possibly carcinogenic to people in addition to toxic for moths!

I laughed at the photos of soap bars with tooth-marks. Noted.

You can use old fashioned Naphthalene Moth Balls while it is in storage. Just be sure to remove them and air out the trailer really well before using it. It isn't something you want to put in and leave in.

I did have good luck with plain old fashioned Bounce dryer sheets in my S2000, but, not in my old trailer. So it truly may have just been luck.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
heh, yeah.

btw, I gave up on the mothball bars, hated my cars smelling like grandma's closet.

instead, I've been using Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent, which are like giant teabags filled with wood chips soaked in balsam fir oils. they smell pleasant, but they chase the rodents out. I typically stick two under the hood of a car, one on each side, finding somewhere away from engine heat, and they last about 3 months. they come 4 to the box, several local HW stores stock them, or they have them on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L236OMW
Hi John do you get just 4 total on Amazon almost 20.00 ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi John do you get just 4 total on Amazon almost 20.00 ? Pat

Rural King (a midwestern farm supply store) has them for $15.

Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent 4pk. EPAC-1
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Rural King (a midwestern farm supply store) has them for $15.

Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent 4pk. EPAC-1
Thankyou ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Some people put them in their clothes dryer. No reports of mice that I'm aware of.