Mouse Question ( real mouse) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Mouse Question ( real mouse)

hi, and thanks for ANY help making a Escape purchase... we live in TN up on the Cumberland plat right outside a forest, mice are a constant battle, do escapes have an issue with mice getting in ? I would think the only possible place might be the axle mount areas or air conditioner ?
carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo View Post
hi, and thanks for ANY help making a Escape purchase... we live in TN up on the Cumberland plat right outside a forest, mice are a constant battle, do escapes have an issue with mice getting in ? I would think the only possible place might be the axle mount areas or air conditioner ?
One nice thing about the one piece fiberglass shell is that there aren't hardly any places for mice to get in. On reason people get the removable power cord is to eliminate the power cord opening that an attached power cord uses which can be a possible entry point for mice.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We too have never had a single mouse in either of our Escape trailers, now dating near 10 years,

As David mentioned, the removable power cord insures that no rodents or insects can get in there. With our 19 we originally had a retractable cord and did get some insects inside though fortunately no mice. I did change that to a removable though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
No Mice!

I am also very happy to say no mice in our 2017 Escape 19. I specifically got the detachable power cord for that reason.
I had always found droppings in our previous stick trailer, but no more!
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
No mouse in MY "house"!

Detachable power cord... duly noted. : )
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo View Post
... I would think the only possible place might be the axle mount areas or air conditioner ?
The axles mount to the frame, and the frame is entirely outside of the fiberglass shell, so there is no penetration of the shell for the axles.
An RV air conditioner has no path for air exchange between inside and outside, so wiring and refrigerant tubing openings, and the gasket-sealed square roof opening are the only opportunities - neither seems like much of a mouse risk to me (and I have replaced a roof-mounted air conditioner).

On the other hand, every floor penetration for plumbing (fresh water, waste, and propane) is a possible entry point if not sealed properly - I have not heard of issues with these in an Escape.

An interesting one is the refrigerator: the access door is an entry point, and the roof vent would be if the screening is damaged or not fine enough, but the space behind the refrigerator should be sealed (to block exhaust fumes) from the trailer's interior. Is it really sealed? Probably.

It's hard to keep mice out of an RV.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Keeping mice out of the trailer

We have a standard power cord exterior fitting but after the cord has been connected to the genset or shore power we stuff a stainless steel wool " ball" in the opening and wrap it around the power cord and shut the plastic door. The mice or critters can't make entry thru the fine lacing of the stainless steel. It's worked for 8 years in our 19 and now our 21 and I don't have to coil up a detachable power and store it somewhere.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
In our old stickie trailer we had mice get in several times. They seemed to like the furnace duct work - made a cozy nest and was safe from our cats. We were alerted a couple of times to their presence by our cats congregating intently at the furnace grate.

When we got our new Escape, it was kind of funny to watch the cats checking out the furnace grate very carefully....they had apparently learned over the years that that's where the mice live!
Attached Thumbnails
Mousers.jpg  
Old 08-19-2019, 12:17 AM   #9

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
In our old stickie trailer we had mice get in several times. They seemed to like the furnace duct work - made a cozy nest and was safe from our cats. We were alerted a couple of times to their presence by our cats congregating intently at the furnace grate.

When we got our new Escape, it was kind of funny to watch the cats checking out the furnace grate very carefully....they had apparently learned over the years that that's where the mice live!
Love, love, love the photo, the story, and cats in general - and am delighted to learn that mice won't find easy access in my new Escape!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
When storing our trailer last year (outside but covered), we put bars of Irish Spring underneath as someone told us mice don't like the smell so will stay clear of the trailer. After uncovering this Spring, we found that something had been chewing on the bars of soap so now we're wondering whether the mice stay clear because of the smell or because they have their fill of soap ...

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Irish Spring gives mice minty fresh breath
Attached Thumbnails
IrishSpring-Mice.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you wrap the Irish Spring in dryer sheets, maybe they won't eat it.
I've heard that if you give mice a bath in 50/50 white vinegar and water, they won't come back.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
And that's what our soap looked like!! (Do I have to provide towels for that bath ... ?)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
We live in the Rocky Mountain foothills west of Boulder, CO. The "urban/wildlands" interface. We had spent >$3,000 repairing rodent chewed wiring on several autos, until we started spreading mothballs under our vehicles and adding the flashing LED "Rid-A-Rat". While I don't know if one or the other works, there's no question that using both sure does. We haven't had an issue since. I feel both are cheap "insurance". Less expensive, at least, then repairing vehicle wiring.

https://www.rid-a-rat.com
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
In 3 years of ownership of our 19, we've never had a mouse get in it, and we live in a pretty rural area.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I put a bowl of jello in the refrigerator to see if any elephants leave their foot prints, so far, so good. Sooner or later I have to eat the trap.....
Old 08-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
we have lots of mice in our yard but none in our trailer but i do worry about it too.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #18

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Cool Re: mice and dental hygiene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Irish Spring gives mice minty fresh breath

Others less squeamish than I will have to tend to the dental needs of mice 🐭 🐭 🐭, as I served my time in that area, thanks very much. An electric zapper (finally) took care of that problem in my recently-sold home, so my daughter will now inherit the many glass storage jars I purchased to keep mice out of my kitchen goods. It's going to be strange going back to plastic again.

Also, I'm not planning to store SOJOURNER for quite a while - if ever - after picking her up in October. If all goes as planned, we'll remain in area around Chilliwack long enough to shake loose any obvious issues before meandering back to Houston - and then explore surrounding southern climes throughout the winter.

Dreaming of visiting the Monarch butterfly reserve at Michoacán in February. I much prefer butterflies to mice. 🦋🦋🦋

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:19 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Try to visit Great Smokey Mountain NP next summer, specifically Elkmont, Tn where the fireflies for 3 weeks are synchronized, daylight then darkness, all together. Really a sight to see, as if someone was turning a light on and off.....https://www.visitmysmokies.com/blog/...oky-mountains/
Old 08-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I put a bowl of jello in the refrigerator to see if any elephants leave their foot prints, so far, so good. Sooner or later I have to eat the trap.....

It's not the Jello. The elephants are afraid to step in and damage the rhubarb.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote