Moving to the dark side tongue in cheek - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2021, 08:20 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
We have a Bigfoot Silver Cloud, 1987. We found it after looking at Bigfoot 25s. I liked the 25 foot model that had a separate bedroom, as I concur with Donna Dee. I like our separate rooms. Kevin can hang out in the living room at night while I hang out in the bedroom, as he stays up later than me. In the AM, I am up earlier, so I don't bother him when I get up for coffee. Grant at Bigfoot has said that a 28 foot resurrection was planned, but I don't know when or if the plan has changed.

It does, however, make rally sites interesting to choose. Oldwave, Bigfoot Owners Club (BOCI) has a free 3 month membership for new owners. Their rally in 2022 is in Custer, SD. We plan to go.
Very cool,trailer
CindyL
Yes I’m on the forum now, they extended the red three months early. I am hoping the trailer will be done in time for the rally in Custer. I have friends in the area from my time working for the NPS
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:40 AM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
Well, hopefully we will see you there, oldwave. Just a heads-up. I don't know how yours will be, but we experienced terrible sway when we brought our Bigfoot home. We were using a Ford Expedition, and we were all over the road. We bought a ProPride hitch and no more sway. We do tow with a RAM 2500 now and barely feel it behind us.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We have owned an Escape 21 then moved to a 25RQ. We have a 3/4 ton oil burner we towed both of them with. With the Bigfoot it’s not the weight difference we noticed but the much larger frontal area. Went from 17/18 mpg at 65 with the 21 to 14/15 with the Bigfoot.

Also get an accurate tongue weight. Ours with front storage box was said to be in 650lbs neighborhood, it’s much heavier. We don’t carry heavy stuff up front but our tongue weight was closer to 1000k according to MDOT scales.

We love the extra room and storage of the Bigfoot. Much easier to cool in FL Keys also😁. Three and 1/2 years, 16K miles we are planning much more time in the FL Keys when I retire my second time in Jan 2022.

You will love the Bigfoot.

PS make sure the toilet seat is attached before it leaves the dealer. That’s a comical story, have fun.
Snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2023 E19
When initially researching smallish fiberglass trailers suitable for my needs, I was really intrigued with the Bigfoot 17.5FB as a possible alternative to the E19. I really liked the layout, fit-and-finish, and true all-season capability. However, the single axle design and extra width made me question how well it would tow with a mid-size truck. Then there’s the substantial price premium…..

If cost wasn’t an issue, I would undoubtedly own a Bigfoot 25RQ along with a suitable tow vehicle to lug it around.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy2 View Post
We have owned an Escape 21 then moved to a 25RQ. We have a 3/4 ton oil burner we towed both of them with. With the Bigfoot it’s not the weight difference we noticed but the much larger frontal area. Went from 17/18 mpg at 65 with the 21 to 14/15 with the Bigfoot.

Also get an accurate tongue weight. Ours with front storage box was said to be in 650lbs neighborhood, it’s much heavier. We don’t carry heavy stuff up front but our tongue weight was closer to 1000k according to MDOT scales.

We love the extra room and storage of the Bigfoot. Much easier to cool in FL Keys also��. Three and 1/2 years, 16K miles we are planning much more time in the FL Keys when I retire my second time in Jan 2022.

You will love the Bigfoot.

PS make sure the toilet seat is attached before it leaves the dealer. That’s a comical story, have fun.
Thanks for the advice
Did you get a generator with your RQ?
I am expecting the tow gas mileage to go down . With my payload numbers I could handle the 1000 lb tongue weight, though ill probably have a lithium battery installed inside
Old 11-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #26

I’m finding that when you add all the extras to the Escapes that the price difference has some what narrowed, And I expect the 23 to be a similar price . It’s not that hard to get close to 50,000 with a fully loaded 5.0
The 21 Bigfoot would not be that much more
The 25 can be purchased pretty well equipped with solar in the low 60 ‘s.
Now a 21 Bigfoot would need larger than a mid size truck, they are not light
I didn’t look at the 17
Old 11-17-2021, 01:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My choice after my Escape would be a Bigfoot 25 Rear Twin. Not going to happen for a long time yet, if at all. Not just the higher cost, the weight and size make long trips more costly and harder to get a site in many places.

I have been watching Bigfoot pricing for a bunch of years now, and it has gone up a lot more than Escape has, percentage wise.

Nice trailer though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
No onboard generator, if we go somewhere we need on we haul one in the truck. In a nutshell only place we go we might need on is Key West NAS campground in case we are in overflow area. Other than that if no go!
Snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #29

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:

Our 25RQ without a front storage box weighed 6,200 to 6,400 depending on what we were carrying. The lightest we ever saw the tongue was about 920 pounds, but most of the time 980-2,000. We noticed the weight as well as the frontal area differences.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #30

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
No onboard generator, if we go somewhere we need on we haul one in the truck. In a nutshell only place we go we might need on is Key West NAS campground in case we are in overflow area. Other than that if no go!

Just lost someone to an on board generator, he owned a construction business so he was very familiar with them.

Many tragedies from these, mine will stay clear of my bed.

My 5.0 is in production, many options, just about 42,000.

The Bigfoot definitely sounds just that, too big for my traveling needs.

Escape for me is just the right way to go….
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:52 PM   #31

I had my 21 for 4 years, and bigger is ok by me, We will have a grandchild staying on a trip at some point and we want a walk around queen . A 5.0 might have worked, but there out until 2024, I’m too old to wait. The 23 would also have been a possibility, but like the 5.0 production times are likely to be a long wait. The Bigfoot we can get next summer. We have more money than time at this stage in our life. Getting no generator, was just curious on if it added to the tongue weight.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:22 AM   #32

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Bigfoot seems to always have had problems with balancing the trailer properly. I have a 21RB with the cargo pod and generator, and with water in the tank it was squirrely without a WD anti sway hitch. The water tank is at the very rear under the bed. The early 21FB models from '02-'05 were way too tail heavy and have a NHTSA recall on them to add significant permanent weight to the front of the trailer to correct this.

I moved as much stuff as possible to the front cargo pod (such as the shore cord which is actually quite a bit of weight, rubber chocks, leveling blocks, etc.) I only keep the sewer hose and the FW hose in the rear compartment. That and a Blue Ox Sway Pro and it tows nice now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Getting no generator, was just curious on if it added to the tongue weight.
I have a 21RB 30th Anniversary Edition so it is rather loaded and has the generator. New generator is an inverter unit and much quieter than the older one like I have, it also has more ground clearance as the exhaust is routed straight out the side rather than out the bottom of the unit and then a 90 degree turn.

It is up front so it adds weight to the tongue. Are you getting the cargo pod? Its nice to to have space but can get deep and junky real quick.

Charles
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:33 AM   #33

Quote:
It does, however, make rally sites interesting to choose. Oldwave, Bigfoot Owners Club (BOCI) has a free 3 month membership for new owners. Their rally in 2022 is in Custer, SD. We plan to go.

CindyL
Where is information on this? I just looked on the BOCI site for "annual rally" and see nothing about it.

Charles
Old 12-17-2021, 03:45 AM   #34

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Where is information on this? I just looked on the BOCI site for "annual rally" and see nothing about it.

Charles
Yes, it is frustrating that they have no main announcement on the BOCI site. Hubby Kevin even directly asked about it and did not get a reply. The announcements seem to come via email. They canceled the last two rallies due to Covid and decided to eliminate the Oregon location in favor of the Custer rally in 2022. That information came via email, so we are planning to miss the Algonac and Niagara rallies in 2022 and attend the BOCI rally. It is usually held that week.

This is the line from an email in July when they canceled this year's rally:

"The planning continues for the 2022 Annual Rally and Business Meeting to be held in the Mt. Rushmore area. As we did last year, the current Board will remain in office; we will hold elections at the 2022 Annual Rally and Business Meeting."

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Quote:
The water tank is at the very rear under the bed.
What if the water tank were the (water) bed? 🤔 Space saver!
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #36

Quote:
Bigfoot seems to always have had problems with balancing the trailer properly. I have a 21RB with the cargo pod and generator, and with water in the tank it was squirrely without a WD anti sway hitch. The water tank is at the very rear under the bed. The early 21FB models from '02-'05 were way too tail heavy and have a NHTSA recall on them to add significant permanent weight to the front of the trailer to correct this.

I moved as much stuff as possible to the front cargo pod (such as the shore cord which is actually quite a bit of weight, rubber chocks, leveling blocks, etc.) I only keep the sewer hose and the FW hose in the rear compartment. That and a Blue Ox Sway Pro and it tows nice now.

I have a 21RB 30th Anniversary Edition so it is rather loaded and has the generator. New generator is an inverter unit and much quieter than the older one like I have, it also has more ground clearance as the exhaust is routed straight out the side rather than out the bottom of the unit and then a 90 degree turn.

It is up front so it adds weight to the tongue. Are you getting the cargo pod? Its nice to to have space but can get deep and junky real quick.
U
Charles
Yes we are getting the cargo extension per our Escape Experience with the front storage.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Yes, it is frustrating that they have no main announcement on the BOCI site. Hubby Kevin even directly asked about it and did not get a reply. The announcements seem to come via email. They canceled the last two rallies due to Covid and decided to eliminate the Oregon location in favor of the Custer rally in 2022. That information came via email, so we are planning to miss the Algonac and Niagara rallies in 2022 and attend the BOCI rally. It is usually held that week.

This is the line from an email in July when they canceled this year's rally:

"The planning continues for the 2022 Annual Rally and Business Meeting to be held in the Mt. Rushmore area. As we did last year, the current Board will remain in office; we will hold elections at the 2022 Annual Rally and Business Meeting."

CindyL
This is hugely frustrating. I am not so keen on a fiberglass rally as I am a brand specific rally such as a Bigfoot one. Then you join and monitor the website and see nothing. Plans have to be made well in advance, even for us retired folks.

In the Black Hills timing is everything. Mid July till mid August the bikers from Sturgis are there, In September is the buffalo roundup, Sept 23-25 so expect large crowds around Custer the last half of the month. Shortly after than the campgrounds start shutting off water and winterizing.

Guess I'll keep watching the forum and see if they post it.

Charles
Old 12-18-2021, 11:23 PM   #38

Quote:
This is hugely frustrating. I am not so keen on a fiberglass rally as I am a brand specific rally such as a Bigfoot one. Then you join and monitor the website and see nothing. Plans have to be made well in advance, even for us retired folks.

In the Black Hills timing is everything. Mid July till mid August the bikers from Sturgis are there, In September is the buffalo roundup, Sept 23-25 so expect large crowds around Custer the last half of the month. Shortly after than the campgrounds start shutting off water and winterizing.

Guess I'll keep watching the forum and see if they post it.

Charles
Seems very inactive that forum.
Old 12-19-2021, 02:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Seems very inactive that forum.
Yes, quite a shame. I post alot on there but don't want to feel like I am dominating it. Really needs to be an open forum, as there are a lot of older BF owners who simply are not going to pay to get on a forum with minimal activity.

I'm a technical type person so much of what I post is mechanical or electrical in nature and most people on forums (as with much of the modern day population in general) are non mechanical and don't understand much of what I post. Many people on forums (in general) are there only to ask how to fix something when it doesn't work......

If you watch anything Mike Rowe says, he is a big promoter of people acquiring mechanical and technical skills and putting that to work to make a very good livelihood (id. Dirty Jobs) Its a shame so few people go that direction any more.

Mike Rowe admits he doesn't have mechanical aptitude but he believes that society needs people who do and that is how he created "DIrty Jobs". If you are not aware, Rowe sang professionally with the Baltimore Opera for 8 years.

Charles
Old 12-19-2021, 10:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Yes, quite a shame. I post alot on there but don't want to feel like I am dominating it. Really needs to be an open forum, as there are a lot of older BF owners who simply are not going to pay to get on a forum with minimal activity.

I'm a technical type person so much of what I post is mechanical or electrical in nature and most people on forums (as with much of the modern day population in general) are non mechanical and don't understand much of what I post. Many people on forums (in general) are there only to ask how to fix something when it doesn't work......

If you watch anything Mike Rowe says, he is a big promoter of people acquiring mechanical and technical skills and putting that to work to make a very good livelihood (id. Dirty Jobs) Its a shame so few people go that direction any more.

Mike Rowe admits he doesn't have mechanical aptitude but he believes that society needs people who do and that is how he created "DIrty Jobs". If you are not aware, Rowe sang professionally with the Baltimore Opera for 8 years.

Charles
Nice, I can relate as Im a musician. I also have worked on my trailers a lot, though mostly electrical. I appreciate your posts in that forum. I suspect if it was free the participation would be larger. Certainly many fewer Bigfoot owners because of the price. The Facebook group has more activity.