Moving to the dark side tongue in cheek - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2021, 05:00 AM   #41

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
Yes, I don't go there every day like other forums. The technical stuff is not my interest area, Hubby deals with it. If you see a technical posting from me, it most likely is actually him posting as me. The most I do is recommend ProPride hitches for sway issues. Come to think of it, I never posted our Pink Elephant rally, like I did here. I will see if there is a place to post it.

However, if you are a member, updates on the gathering in 2021 will likely come via the email that you used to sign up for that forum. Hopefully, advance planning is dealing with the issues you noted, Charles. I am sure it is not at the time Sturgis is out there. I have not been there during the buffalo round-up, so I did not know it got really crowded at that time.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:25 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
WE were in Custer last summer pretty much at peak and were able to get a spot without too much trouble, though it was a few months in advance. I suspect production delays will prevent us from attending the rally if it happens. Now they are saying August instead of June, though who knows. If it would line up, we would be coming right through South Dakota on our way back from Oregon. Otherwise we may try to go to Banth.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #43

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
WE were in Custer last summer pretty much at peak and were able to get a spot without too much trouble, though it was a few months in advance. I suspect production delays will prevent us from attending the rally if it happens. Now they are saying August instead of June, though who knows. If it would line up, we would be coming right through South Dakota on our way back from Oregon. Otherwise we may try to go to Banth.
Sorry, you will be without all summer.

We love Custer. We have volunteered at Pine Ridge Reservation for many years and have always stopped to visit. We went to Custer last summer when the Canadian border closure prevented attending the Harry Chapin family concert in Nova Scotia Canada last summer (and the summer before). This has been a bucket list trip of mine for years, but teaching prevented going. It is late August, too close to the start of school. Harry's brother Steve owns Ovens Natural Park campground in Nova Scotia where the concert is held.

I hope this Omicron spread does not affect this bucket list trip in 2022.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Sorry, you will be without all summer.

We love Custer. We have volunteered at Pine Ridge Reservation for many years and have always stopped to visit. We went to Custer last summer when the Canadian border closure prevented attending the Harry Chapin family concert in Nova Scotia Canada last summer (and the summer before). This has been a bucket list trip of mine for years, but teaching prevented going. It is late August, too close to the start of school. Harry's brother Steve owns Ovens Natural Park campground in Nova Scotia where the concert is held.

I hope this Omicron spread does not affect this bucket list trip in 2022.

CindyL
We love Nova Scotia and have been there twice, the last trip was in 2019. Cape Breton etc.
We will check out that park, the next time. Pandemics have certainly upended the world.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #45

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Yes, quite a shame. I post alot on there but don't want to feel like I am dominating it. Really needs to be an open forum, as there are a lot of older BF owners who simply are not going to pay to get on a forum with minimal activity.

I'm a technical type person so much of what I post is mechanical or electrical in nature and most people on forums (as with much of the modern day population in general) are non mechanical and don't understand much of what I post. Many people on forums (in general) are there only to ask how to fix something when it doesn't work......

If you watch anything Mike Rowe says, he is a big promoter of people acquiring mechanical and technical skills and putting that to work to make a very good livelihood (id. Dirty Jobs) Its a shame so few people go that direction any more.

Mike Rowe admits he doesn't have mechanical aptitude but he believes that society needs people who do and that is how he created "DIrty Jobs". If you are not aware, Rowe sang professionally with the Baltimore Opera for 8 years.

Charles
When we owned our 25RB the Bigfoot forum had perhaps one post a week. It was a waste of time and money.

If you want quality information about electrical in your camper then Will's DYI Solar Power Forum is the place to go. A few months of reading got me up to speed (in my working life I had a low-voltage electrical license for our schools computers/server rooms/video/TV's/etc). This fall I rewired the battery/solar side of the WFCO and added a 1500 watt inverter for making toast.

For the camper portion I also use RV Life and Good Sam forums.

Plus there is a wealth of information here specifically for Escape campers. However, if I'd have only used the SiO2 information posted here I wouldn't have purchased our SiO2 batteries, instead getting another set of AGMs, but instead found actual users on other forums with actual experiences and conflicting data. We have many additions specifically for our 5.0 that were found on this forum and it's great being a member here.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-22-2021, 06:09 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 None
Amount of room aside, do you find the build quality is better on the Bigfoot or Escape?
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #47

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Amount of room aside, do you find the build quality is better on the Bigfoot or Escape?
I have only looked at the Bigfoot so can't really comment on the build quality, but to me it would appear to be solidly made, similair to the Escape. The outer shell though is stronger than Escape. There is a video out there where they demonstrate the toughness my hammering the side of the fibreglass with no damage. You can also put stuff on the roof. The downside is weight! I did find though the aesthetic of the Bigfoot was nicer. Seemed more modern, and the overhead bins more practical with their bigger openings. Overall a very bright and well finished interior.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #48

Quote:
We toured the exact same model we ordered, a 25RQ, in October on Kelley's Island SP on Lake Erie. While I didn't get a chance to open up things and look at wiring looms etc, our impression was very favorable of the fit and finish both inside and out. There is not lots of customization available like Escape, but we bought the stock decor in 2017 for our 21 c, its just not important to us. However they are accommodating on solar and lithium and will move the battery bank inside off the tongue, which will do two things for us, temperature control and lighten the tongue weight . Didn't inquire on frig choice stock absorption has worked for us, and I think they are installing Coleman AC now. Escape stands alone in customization. When we get it next year, we will do an immersion of it to share here. But so far it looks really solid with better suspension superior insulation to Escapes. It comes at a weight price. We do wish the 23 was available to compare, but we can't wait as we are aging.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #49

Thanks Sean Murry and Old Wave, So from your response it sounds like the Bigfoot fiberglass is thicker or reenforced, the insulation has a better R value, larger storage openings, and better suspension. Cons are price and weight.
Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Ours was a 2003 25RQ and some things have changed (like ownership of the company).

Aside from the wiring from the battery and the pathetic frame ground our 5.0 has fantastic build quality, just what we were expecting from a 3-season camper. OTOH, a few Escape buyers have had some problems with their build, but when employees quit and new employees begin there can be problems. Happens with any company.

Quote:
So from your response it sounds like the Bigfoot fiberglass is thicker or reenforced, the insulation has a better R value, larger storage openings, and better suspension. Cons are price and weight.
Happy Holidays!

Our 25RQ had the optional roof ladder and I had no problems walking on the roof!

Our windows, even though they were sliders, were low-e, and had argon gas between the panes. They turned gold in the sun. As with all framed windows though, they would frost on the frames if you didn't crack the ceiling vent a 1/4".

Our 25RQ had insulating cellular shades that were tight against the frame for additional cold weather insulation, and they worked. The shades in our Escape are only for sun and we have to foil-bubble wrap between the shade and the glass to get some additional insulation, but still not to the extent the BF shades insulated.

We did not have the front storage compartment (don't know if it was available in 2003), so our 25RQ weighed around 6,300 pounds fully loaded with nearly 1,000 pounds on the ball. We towed with a 2015 F150, XLT, extended cab, 1970# cargo capacity, 6.5' box using a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. We had no problems pulling or braking. The rig got 10.5 - 11.5 mpg.

We got into a great trade, or so we thought, with a friend on two 1995 Lance campers and sold the Bigfoot. Ours was a 2014 and their's a 2015. One trip to Olympic National Park (and other places) was enough. Both our Lances had poor build quality, when compared to either Bigfoot or Escape campers.

Had we not made that stupid Lance trade we would still own our 2003 Bigfoot. 20/20 vision! After 1 1/2 years in our Escape the buyers wife called to inform us her husband had died and asked us to sell the Bigfoot for her. Terry and I debated for at least a week, but decided we were too far invested into the 5.0 to go back to the Bigfoot. The buyers drove over 1,000 miles from the east coast to purchase the Bigfoot for $4,000 than we sold it.

The new owners now have replaced the short queen bed for two full-width twin beds, one is a short twin to keep the end table next to the bathroom wall, and have removed the dinette installing a dual-reclining loveseat. Both were renovations we were going to do.

When we can no longer go down the bed steps, we'll purchase another Bigfoot. IMHO, Bigfoot offers better ergonomics for it's pull-type campers than Escape, but you do pay extra and get 2-3 mpg poorer fuel consumption.

Considering we just paid $1,500 for a new mattress yesterday we love our 5.0 and hope this year we can get back to camping 6 months of the year.

There's a camper for everyone and what works for us does not necessarily work for others.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #51

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Thanks Sean Murry and Old Wave, So from your response it sounds like the Bigfoot fiberglass is thicker or reenforced, the insulation has a better R value, larger storage openings, and better suspension. Cons are price and weight.
Happy Holidays!
With the higher R Value they are considered to be 4 season trailers. There is also a heating vent from the furnace to the water storage area to prevent freezing. Escape is only a 3 season trailer. Again you pay for that in weight and cost, but I was seriously considering one before we got our Escape, We were looking at the 17 model. The big thing against it for me was the 8' width, while nice from a space perspective, it increases the wind resistance substantially. The other thing was the weight.
The interior finish of the Bigfoot to me seemed closer to an Airstream. Very nicely done, but at the end of the day I am extremely happy with our choice to go with the Escape
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 04:50 PM   #52

Wow, what a great website and responses from everyone. I'm about 4 years away from an early retirement and really looking over my options. If I go 5th wheel then it's definitely Escape. I love the towing of a 5th wheel and parkabliity. Parkablility? Is that a word. Ha! If I go with travel trailer I will take a closer look at the Bigfoot. They both have that fiberglass quality that I love! Thanks everyone!!
Old 12-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #53

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Wow, what a great website and responses from everyone. I'm about 4 years away from an early retirement and really looking over my options. If I go 5th wheel then it's definitely Escape. I love the towing of a 5th wheel and parkabliity. Parkablility? Is that a word. Ha! If I go with travel trailer I will take a closer look at the Bigfoot. They both have that fiberglass quality that I love! Thanks everyone!!
Yes this does seem to be turning into a great site for Bigfoot…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #54

Discussions are discussions, you don’t have the read the posts let alone snarky remarks.
Old 12-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #55

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Discussions are discussions, you don’t have the read the posts let alone snarky remarks.

I as others are getting ready to drop more than a dime on an escape.

You making this escape forum your new home for Bigfoot love is inappropriate and inconsiderate…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #56

As I said before you do not have to read the post, move on, I was a long time owner of an Escape and have formed friendships with lot of members here, your opinion is I suspect in the minority, the post moderators can chime in here and kick me off if they like. Have a nice day, I'm done interacting with you as your previous insults are evident.
Old 12-25-2021, 12:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I as others are getting ready to drop more than a dime on an escape.

You making this escape forum your new home for Bigfoot love is inappropriate and inconsiderate…
I suggest you look to see how many Bigfoot threads oldwave has started. It's one by the way, but apparently that's too many?

You may want to look in a mirror when it comes to inconsiderate.

At some point this thread will die, probably soon.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #58

Yep, it's run its course.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:08 PM   #59

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When I see a posting that does not interest me like say foam insulation (because we do not have that option or heating pads or the size of an oven I do not read any further. Same with Bigfoot oriented posting, I don’t have one and don’t read about them although I like them and like their owners. I generally do not have time to read all the postings. Live and let live my dad used to say.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-25-2021, 09:26 PM   #60

The last word, I joined this forum 5 years or so ago before I bought my Escape 21. I learned a lot from very generous members, some of whom had not yet purchased, some from other owners of different trailers. There’s been posts by former owners of Escapes who switched brands etc. I have helped a few members as well as been helped by other members. Generosity is a trait I value in my friends and those I interact with. So those of you have been generous and helpful thank you. No more needs to be said.