My 2019 E21 Build list with some reasons for my choices.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2018, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My 2019 E21 Build list with some reasons for my choices....

My new 2019 Build sheet is just completed and although not due until Jan, I wanted to sign off before !2/1 to prevent any tariff complications. I wanted to offer my explanations for some of my build sheet options and decisions since this will be my 2nd E21 as well as my 2nd 2ndG Escape.

In my first 2 Escapes I never had an outside shower as the old style was basically a hole in the side that allowed the outside inside. However the newer style shower is more or less a sealed unit that does not allow air infiltration. In my 2016 I installed it on the passenger side which allowed it’s use as an outside sink for cleaning and cooking. On the new E21 I opted for 2 o/s showers, one by the sink as before and the 2nd one is on the drivers side forward, next to the hatch. This should allow me use around the front for those quick bug cleanses as well as use when dumping if need be.. I found the range for the curb side, being further back limited its use to that side and the rear. Thus between the 2 locations I have 360 degree access.
Another duplication is the storage hatch covers. with the “U” dinette and the batteries in the rear as well as the converter, both dinette sides are available for use. This was not the case in the 1st G 21’s with the “U” option. I also dropped the removable power cord option. There were several occasions where we left camp hurriedly and once home I could not find the power cord in its normal place of storage. In addition I have at home a 15amp hookup with a 30 amp adapter which I carry when traveling as an extra power cord. The last 2 times camping was via 15 amp circuits as the 30 amp was out of order. Other than a/c, 15 amps is all that is necessary so I decided on using 15 amp power cord and only use 30 amp when air conditioning is needed. Thus I purchased a 15amp/30amp thru the wall adapter that will be mounted in the storage hatch. This should give me the sealed advantage of the removable power cord as well as the easier to use 15 amp power cord. Finally I had the o/s curb light mounted below the belly band, similar to the last Escape, to better illuminate the step area. For campsite illumination I again got the awning LED strip option.

Now some new stuff. Five 12v runs/outlets in the lower and upper cabinets, closet and bed for future light installs. Three extra 120v outlets for future electric heater as well as power pedestal in kitchen and dinette areas. Additional underbed cabinet door located on the 45 degree bed corner so that when both are open you have similar access ease as the 19 double cabinet door under the bed. I requested that the sink cover not be drilled for possible future shelf in addition to additional flip shelves in the dinette area. Reinforced bath wall for mounting teak hand towel racks. E-Z winterizing IMHO should be standard in all Escapes. Thermal frameless windows again with 2 extras in bath and over the 2 drawer stack. Power awning- will ask for extra remote and the smoke colored MaxxFan with remote with the condition that I will not invoke the warranty with Escape due to the issues they had with the model.

Solar with dual 6 volts, toilet shut off valve, air conditioning,EMS, TV ready with 12v power, aluminum rims package, spray foam, front storage box, extra front LED light, all exterior lights with amber lenses, switching 3 interior pancake lights to captain lights, custom wood flooring from Olson, dark brown trim, sand pads, filled propane and water tanks, special graphics on front “Escape DeJa View”

I'm still waiting for additional info on the new door style.....
Old 11-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Sounds like you put a lot of time , effort and thought into your build sheet , evidently experience is a good teacher.
The eze winterizing kit and the toilet shutoff valve should be standard equipment IMHO but others may disagree
Good luck with your new trailer , it looks like you have all the bases covered
You will surely be busy giving guided tours at Osoyoos
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Sounds great...I do like the no hole in the sink cover.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Sounds great...I do like the no hole in the sink cover.

You mean the finger hole for lifting the cover?
I drop knives and spoons into the sink through that hole. I've also used it to dump the dregs of a cup of coffee without removing the cover.
What advantage is there in not having the hole?
Old 11-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What's the bet we now have several pages of intriguing hole/nohole gibberish?
Old 11-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #6

You go first.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'll go first. No sink cover, no problem! I don't know where mine is. I THINK it's under my daughter's bed where I store the dinette table. All I know is I've never used it so I've never missed it. Does it have a hole? Don't know, don't care.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #8

If you had a 17B, you'd care. Next to no counter space. On the left of the picture is the folding counter extension.
Attached Thumbnails
Knife storage.jpg  
Old 11-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I say looks good, Jim, as long as whomever your selling this trailer to agrees.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You mean the finger hole for lifting the cover?
I drop knives and spoons into the sink through that hole. I've also used it to dump the dregs of a cup of coffee without removing the cover.
What advantage is there in not having the hole?

Agggh! I hope it gets removed for sink cleaning at least occasionally.

I agree re: Escape 17's - you need all the counter you can get.

(Edit: just got an idle thought: how many posts until P**t*ne gets mentioned?)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We never use the cover as well.
If it did not have the hole, I would make for an easy matching folding table on a wall. If I do that now the hole would have to be filled with a cone shaped vase or a bottle of wine upside down.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I say looks good, Jim, as long as whomever your selling this trailer to agrees.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Sounds like you put a lot of time , effort and thought into your build sheet , evidently experience is a good teacher.
The eze winterizing kit and the toilet shutoff valve should be standard equipment IMHO but others may disagree
Good luck with your new trailer , it looks like you have all the bases covered
You will surely be busy giving guided tours at Osoyoos
Steve as you know most of those options are overkill for us, we just want to go camping and not take our home with us. Camping is the opposite of being at home, enjoying travel and nature, plus drinking beer/wine with our camping friends. That's why we have a Casita at this time, it's not for all the conveniences of home for sure. I call it our sleeping quarters.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
On the new E21 I opted for 2 o/s showers, one by the sink as before and the 2nd one is on the drivers side forward, next to the hatch..
Jim: interesting timing on this. We have the traditional shower on the drivers side, but I have parts in the garage to add the newer quick connect style to the passengers side. This will be used for misc uses like a camp sink with the flexible spout and can be used for fish cleaning etc. in the cold when it is nice to have a supply of warm water. Should pipe in nicely to the existing hot and cold piping that comes across to the galley sink. You are correct that the old style shower is not the best from an air infiltration standpoint, but it is nice if you want to use it as an actual shower. Ours has a box with insulation built around it on the inside within the wardrobe closet which solves the problem.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Exterior.../PF247201.html
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...BoCLWEQAvD_BwE
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../PF267003.html
Old 11-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #15

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Jim,
We added the shower to the passenger side also for the same reasons the you discuss. Never thought the add a second one to the drivers side, as the couple times we have had the shower on other rv's we never used it. I'm hoping that with the shower on the passenger side and being handy, it will get used. I'm sure after multiple Escape builds under your belt you are becoming a pro! I did take your advice on the counters, flooring, and trim. We did change out the upholstery to green, just a different shade. We used Sunbrella Ginkgo, hopefully it turns out well! Look forward to your build pictures.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #16

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Jim: interesting timing on this. We have the traditional shower on the drivers side, but I have parts in the garage to add the newer quick connect style to the passengers side. This will be used for misc uses like a camp sink with the flexible spout and can be used for fish cleaning etc. in the cold when it is nice to have a supply of warm water. Should pipe in nicely to the existing hot and cold piping that comes across to the galley sink. You are correct that the old style shower is not the best from an air infiltration standpoint, but it is nice if you want to use it as an actual shower. Ours has a box with insulation built around it on the inside within the wardrobe closet which solves the problem.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Exterior.../PF247201.html
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...BoCLWEQAvD_BwE
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../PF267003.html
Rubicon,
Thanks for the link on the flexible spout,, just what I was looking for. I would like to add, we use a portable folding camp sink with our Casita. I think it would partner up well with the spout. Link for information, I bought mine at REI.
https://www.backcountrygear.com/sea-...-+all+products

I use this sink for motorcycle and rv camping, very handy!
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21
Jim, you’ve got some great additions and solutions to your Ecape 21 build sheet. I’m looking closely, and want to do much of the same. I really like an external shower on both street side and curbside. Also like the idea of mounting teak hand towel racks on the bath wall, which is already reinforced because my DW is having a flip up table on the outside bath wall.

Since I’ve opted for a driver side area rear hatch installed, I’ll use that hatch that for storing my removable power cord and a 120 volt adapter to use with a 15/20 amp rated cord at home or when CG juice is limited to 20 amps.

I’m not sure about things like...
What is gained by changing out the pancake dinette lights to captains lights? (I had opted for captains lights in all dinette corners). My reason is for task work and reading. On occasion, I’ll turn the captains light on that is most hidden from the main bed. The pancake lights, I thought, are more diffused and softer lights.

Also, will the below belly band location illuminate the keyhole without the LED awning strip?

You’ve certainly got it covered more than most, and it’s going to be great.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
Jim, you’ve got some great additions and solutions to your Ecape 21 build sheet. I’m looking closely, and want to do much of the same. I really like an external shower on both street side and curbside. Also like the idea of mounting teak hand towel racks on the bath wall, which is already reinforced because my DW is having a flip up table on the outside bath wall.

Since I’ve opted for a driver side area rear hatch installed, I’ll use that hatch that for storing my removable power cord and a 120 volt adapter to use with a 15/20 amp rated cord at home or when CG juice is limited to 20 amps.

I’m not sure about things like...
What is gained by changing out the pancake dinette lights to captains lights? (I had opted for captain’s lights in all dinette corners). My reason is for task work and reading. On occasion, I’ll turn the captains light on that is most hidden from the main bed. The pancake lights, I thought, are more diffused and softer lights. I’d like to know, because I’m working on the 2d build sheet, and would like to

Will the below belly band location illuminate the keyhole without the LED awning strip? That may be a mute concept that I have. Haha

You’ve certainly got it covered.
I felt with all the latest issues of LED flickering, at least the captain lights have replaceable bulbs, if Escape returns to using different pancakes lights with replaceable bulbs then this issue is moot. The curb side lower light is to illuminate the step when exiting, not the keyhole when entering. But I have added an LED spot to the side of this light that just shines on the lock, so it is possible and I may do this again.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
All of your advice gave us a lot to think about, We also opted for the shower on the passenger side, all in all this information is excellent for those like us who are trailer newbies. We finished our bukld sheet today with Melissa at Escape Trailer and signed off on our build, excitement is definitley building now.

We decided to go without the Ushaped dinette because when we sat in the 5.0ta today we found the standard dinette was very comfortable space for 4 people to sit, talk or play cards. Its basically going to be our foul weather living room.

We asked for the Led light below the belly band at the entrance because we really like the idea of lighting up the step, safety first!

Moved our TV install to the dinette because my wife and I have never used our bedroom for TV viewing, also installed a 12v socket there so we can get a 12v TV if we want.

Asked to have the door in the cabinet next to the entrance enlarged to fit a good sized wastebasket in there, I'll probably install a shelf just above the outer hatch in that cabinet so I can store my power cord below the wastebasket.

Decided to go for the removeable power cord to give us more room in the dinette storage and eliminate one rodent access point.

Also registered fir the rally so we could meet some of you good folks �� once again would like to thank everyone formyour helpful hints.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:37 AM   #20

Marsman,
Hope to meet you at Osoyoos, by then you will no longer be a junior......