My Escape 5.0TA order - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #81

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Oh yeah, I might add that if you coil the shower hose in the sink, make sure it doesn't turn on the water faucet. Don't ask me how I know. I just do. Yeah, it's a friend I'm talking about. Yeah, that's it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #82

Trailer: Soon to be: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post

Below is the final list I decided on, but have until February 2nd to make any changes. After that date any changes come with a cost of $200 cdn. Also included are items I currently plan on installing after I get home with my new 5.0TA.

My Options and Modifications

Modify U-Dinette adding 4 inches to depth of back bench seat
Modify cushions to match modified U-Dinette
4” thick back wall cushion

Cheers!
Hello everyone - this is my first post to the forum so please forgive any etiquette faux pas!

I was planning on posting my 5.0 TA build sheet here and formally introducing myself but I saw this post and, with my build sheet due in four days, thought I'd better ask right away!

Kent -
In all my reading to date I haven't run across any mention of someone doing this dinette modificaton and I'm curious. I'm doing the same U-Dinette but what's the logic in the added depth to the cabinet and cushion? In looking at some photos, and it's hard to tell, but I can see that the window knob may be an issue. Now that I"m looking, the rear cushion looks a little thiner - is it a fixed, non-removable cushion? Can anyone enlighten me on the merits of doing this mod?

Also, the item "Move exterior P/S hatch below bodyline". I've not seen inside this hatch or the front hatches on the 5.0 TA for that matter, so I'm in the dark here. What are the benefits of this lowering this verses it's default location?

Thanks!
Jim
Bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #83

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
In all my reading to date I haven't run across any mention of someone doing this dinette modificaton and I'm curious. I'm doing the same U-Dinette but what's the logic in the added depth to the cabinet and cushion? In looking at some photos, and it's hard to tell, but I can see that the window knob may be an issue. Now that I"m looking, the rear cushion looks a little thiner - is it a fixed, non-removable cushion? Can anyone enlighten me on the merits of doing this mod?
Until Kent responds here is a picture of it and a link to a bit of his rationale. I don't believe Escape does any fixed, non-removable cushions in any of their dinette arrangements.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f13/its-friday-2017-and-beyond-8031-186.html#post243515
Attached Thumbnails
U-Dinnette_4-10-2018_DSC08158.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #84

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Now that I"m looking, the rear cushion looks a little thiner - is it a fixed, non-removable cushion? Can anyone enlighten me on the merits of doing this mod?

Also, the item "Move exterior P/S hatch below bodyline". I've not seen inside this hatch or the front hatches on the 5.0 TA for that matter, so I'm in the dark here. What are the benefits of this lowering this verses it's default location?
The rear backrest in a U-shaped dinette is much thinner than the seat cushions. This give a bit more room if you want to sit back there, and a think backrest is just not needed. It has nothing to do with making the dinette into a bed either.

Moving the passenger side hatch down has an effect on a couple things. This is something I did following Chris R's lead. When left in the existing location it forms a very deep well, all the way to the floor, and while you can stow a lot in there, it is fairly tough to get at things in the bottom.

The second benefit is it allows you to take advantage of that space inside the trailer. Again following Chris R's lead, I made that into a cupboard, a place we store shoes. I have yet to build a shelf in it, but will soon.

Here is a photo of the framing I did for that cabinet. The outside hatch will access the lower enclosed spot, and you can see the space gained with the inside access beside the door.

The finished product.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #85

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Nice! Is the shelf above the door aftermarket or part of the 5.0ta package?
Old 04-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #86

Thanks for the info Rubicon327!

Thanks Jim for the quick reply! All three mods make a great deal of sense now and I love the shoe cabinet!

Genius, sheer genius!

Gotta ask though - the white device at the bottom of the first step - a blower or filter of some kind?

Great forum!
Old 04-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #87

Quote:
Gotta ask though - the white device at the bottom of the first step - a blower or filter of some kind?
Jim did an awesome electric heater. Quiet heat when plugged in and saves your propane. FYI I don't think you can get that exact unit anymore, but others are available out there.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/electric-heater-install-9453.html
Old 04-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Nice! Is the shelf above the door aftermarket or part of the 5.0ta package?
Most of my interior I guess you could call "aftermarket". I kinda prefer "custom".

Here is a link to a write up I did, yet still more I want to do.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...0ta-10461.html
Quote:
edit: as per Dave's post, a custom heater install.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #89

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Kent -

Thanks!
Jim
Jim, Two reasons comfort and more space under the rear bench. When I was at the factory and sitting in the U-dinette. I felt the rear bench was too narrow to be of any real use in my opinion. I made the change request as I thought it would be more comfortable for me and yes with the stock rear back cushion, the window knob would press into someone's back.

When the trailer gets home I will be installing the Lagun table mount so the floor of U-dinette will be completely open.

It is all a personal preference. Keep in mind you can make changes to your build sheet up until and someone can correct me 60 days before your trailer goes into production.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #90

Rubicon327, thanks for the link as my forum searching skills are remedial at best. I tried using the forum search to find Kent's post on the U_Dinette mod and it returns a list of hundreds of main topics - with again hundreds of individual posts. I suspect there's a better way but I've not found it yet.

Jim & Kent, I've learned a good deal from your efforts and I can't say how much I appreciate it. Feel bad for Julie at ETI who's awesome and helping me finalize my build sheet as I've been asking for quite a bit lately.

Thanks all!!
Jim
Old 04-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #91

Quote:
Rubicon327, thanks for the link as my forum searching skills are remedial at best. I tried using the forum search to find Kent's post on the U_Dinette mod and it returns a list of hundreds of main topics - with again hundreds of individual posts. I suspect there's a better way but I've not found it yet.
Jim: I use the “Search Site/Google” box instead of “Search Forums” box. If you know who posted it you can hit Advanced Search and put in their user name and/or other parameters too which may help zero you in.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #92

Awesome! I'll give it a go, thanks a lot!
Jim
Old 04-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #93

Jim, that is some seriously excellent cabinetry! Really like the stair treatment with the carpet not going edge too edge too. The attention to detail is off the hook!

I take my figurative hat off to you my friend!
Jim
Old 04-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #94

Still digesting your build sheet items Kent and I'm curious about the item to "Widen bottom interior step to 22” - is this done for the extra storage, a safety issue?

What is the default stair width before extending it to 22"
Thanks for sharing your build sheet!
Jim
Old 04-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #95

Quote:
Still digesting your build sheet items Kent and I'm curious about the item to "Widen bottom interior step to 22” - is this done for the extra storage, a safety issue?

What is the default stair width before extending it to 22"
Thanks for sharing your build sheet!
Jim
I first did this to comfortably accommodate the electric heater I installed. We find no detriment at all to the wider step and might have done a bit more, though not really needed except when not paying attention when coming down on the right.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #96

Ahh, makes sense now.
Thanks!
Old 05-11-2018, 11:19 PM   #97

Well here I sit at Jim & Marys RV park on my way home. 200 miles to go, then get ready for the Escape Rally.

Thought I would post some pictures of trailer and some things I've managed to get done while making my way home.

Here are pictures going to Chilliwack and coming home and some interior shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Going To DSC_1950.jpg   Coming From DSC_1952.jpg   DSC_1981.jpg   DSC_1994.jpg   DSC_1958.JPG  

DSC_1956.jpg  
Old 05-11-2018, 11:22 PM   #98

While at Bay View I installed some temporary paint protection film to the lower front. Not pretty, but temporary and will remove when I get home.
Attached Thumbnails
1_Road Wrap_DSC_1990.jpg   2_Road Wrap_DSC_1987.jpg   3_Road Wrap_DSC_1988.jpg  
Old 05-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #99

Dri Dek installed on bath floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Dri Dek DSC_1996.JPG  
Old 05-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #100

Andersoen Remote Latch Installed. I asked ETI during my OR if we could try installing as shown in the pictures. After thinking about it they said yes, they really liked this and discussed about installing this way in the future at least as an option.

No issues and operates easily. I really like that it is tucked up underneath and not as visible.
Attached Thumbnails
1_Remote Latch Cable_DSC_1983.JPG   2_Remote Latch Cable_DSC_1985.JPG   3_Remote Latch Cable_DSC_1986.JPG