My Escape 5.0TA order - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
My Escape 5.0TA order

Back when I had my Casita and attending Oregon Gatherings many moons ago. I dreamed of owning an all fiberglass 5th wheel. Fast forward to today and that dream is closer to reality with a 2018 5.0TA and a 2018 GMC Canyon Duramax on order. I thought I would post this for those looking to place an order and what that process looked like for me.

Since I’ve owned a Casita before I pretty much knew what options I wanted and after a year of reading many threads on Escape Forum I was ready to make my order along with my list of customization requests

I’ve been watching the available production dates on ETI web site waiting for May 2018 to come up and that happened at end of September. I reached out to Tina at ETI and she sent me my first build sheet which listed all available options. I went though and marked everything I wanted and sent it back to her with my deposit and customization requests and we locked in May 2, 2018. She sent the build sheet back listing all the things I wanted along with the customizations that were approved.

Note when you get your build sheet back. You will notice the build sheet returned no longer lists any of the available options you did not select.

I went through the build sheet I received back line by line comparing to my spreadsheet I created and sent it back to Tina noting items that needed correcting, subtracted or added. For those that have already placed an order or going to make an order, make sure you verify the build sheet returned to you is actually yours and go line by line on every build sheet you receive and just don’t gloss over it. I had to make some sort of corrections on almost each one I received back and was sent someone else build sheet once. I found it helpful to have a separate list of everything I wanted so I could compare to each and every build sheet I received back.

In all fairness I had a pretty extensive list and why I drove to ETI a few weeks back. To not only transport and leave my sink, cook top, faucets, solar port, but also to go through my build sheet line by line with Tina and to see my Formica, Flooring and fabric samples in the demo unit. I ordered and paid for my flooring at Pioneer that day and as soon as I was back home I placed my fabric order with Sailrite and can say everything is sitting at ETI waiting to be installed including the flooring and fabric. ETI will order the Formica I picked out.

My Formica will be Matt black, flooring Armstrong Pemberton Grizzly Gray and cushions dressed in Sunbrella Milano Charcoal.

With regards to taking stuff across the border to leave with ETI, it is perfectly legal and you will not pay any taxes on personal items. Key word is personal items just like clothes etc. Just keep in mind whatever you tell the Canadian agent you are bringing into Canada to leave with ETI, the U.S agent will have that list on their computer screen when you return to the U.S.

One of many questions I asked Tina was how they keep from installing someone else custom flooring, Formica or Fabric into another owner’s trailer. She stated we download pictures and tape them to the side of trailer and the installer has to verify the item they are installing against the picture on the trailer. They tape the different segments of your build sheet on the sides which you will notice in build pictures posted on the forum.

Below is the final list I decided on, but have until February 2nd to make any changes. After that date any changes come with a cost of $200 cdn. Also included are items I currently plan on installing after I get home with my new 5.0TA.

My Options and Modifications

Microwave built in
Winterizing T-Valve
Exterior shower P/S
Battery delete install CX provide batteries
Inverter
Surge Protector
Removable Power Cord
LED Awning Light
Air Conditioner
Maxx Fan Upgrade
Wireless Bkup Camera
TV cable ready
Install CX provided TV mount
Extra Insulation & frame-less windows
Exterior Access hatch rear P/S
Exterior Propane Quick connect
Do not install leveling bubbles
Delete tires/wheels install CX provided
Stainless range hood
Toilet shut-off valve
Delete bath sink
Install CX provided bath faucet
Do not install TP holder give to CX at OR
Install CX provided shower head
Install CX provided kitchen sink
Install CX provided cook top
Install CX provided Kitchen Faucet
Install CX provided kitchen button caps
Install 2 counter extensions
Pre-wire for stereo and speakers
Move exterior P/S hatch below bodyline
Full height cabinet, add cabinet door to full height cabinet
Widen bottom interior step to 22”
Convert bench seat to U-Dinette
Modify U-Dinette adding 4 inches to depth of back bench seat
Modify cushions to match modified U-Dinette
4” thick back wall cushion
Cut standard dinette table top into 2 pieces with one piece 18” deep
Do not install table top or hardware
Install CX provided exterior TV coax
Four 12v drops, 3 interior and 1 exterior
Additional exterior LED light centered rear above belly band
Additional interior switch for exterior rear and D/S LED lights
2 additional LED captain lights
Install CX provided Solar Port
Custom Flooring
Custom Formica
Custom fabric, full wrap
Install 2nd TV ready
Install CX provided TV mount bracket
Graphics delete
2 filled propane bottle

Customer provided items;

Cook top Dickenson 2 burner
Sink 15” Executive zero radius
Kitchen faucet Ariel Flamingo
Bath shower head Fury Handheld
Bath faucet Dura Faucet
Wheels 15 x 6 Black Rock Intruder 910B
Tires ST215-75R-15 8 ply Maxxis M8008 trailer tires.
Batteries two 6v Crown 6CRV220 AGM, 220Ah

Aftermarket install

DryDek for bath floor
Furrion 12v / USB receptacles
100 watt Renogy suitcase portable solar panel
Bogart engineering SC2030 solar controller
Bogart engineering TM2030A monitor
Cabramo 12v marine fan
Lugan table mount
Custom cut King Starboard cooktop and sink inserts

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Armstrong Pemberton Grizzly Grey copy.jpg   20171103_172107.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Back when I had my Casita and attending Oregon Gatherings many moons ago. I dreamed of owning an all fiberglass 5th wheel. Fast forward to today and that dream is closer to reality with a 2018 5.0TA and a 2018 GMC Canyon Duramax on order. I thought I would post this for those looking to place an order and what that process looked like for me.

Since I’ve owned a Casita before I pretty much knew what options I wanted and after a year of reading many threads on Escape Forum I was ready to make my order along with my list of customization requests

I’ve been watching the available production dates on ETI web site waiting for May 2018 to come up and that happened at end of September. I reached out to Tina at ETI and she sent me my first build sheet which listed all available options. I went though and marked everything I wanted and sent it back to her with my deposit and customization requests and we locked in May 2, 2018. She sent the build sheet back listing all the things I wanted along with the customizations that were approved.

Note when you get your build sheet back. You will notice the build sheet returned no longer lists any of the available options you did not select.

I went through the build sheet I received back line by line comparing to my spreadsheet I created and sent it back to Tina noting items that needed correcting, subtracted or added. For those that have already placed an order or going to make an order, make sure you verify the build sheet returned to you is actually yours and go line by line on every build sheet you receive and just don’t gloss over it. I had to make some sort of corrections on almost each one I received back and was sent someone else build sheet once. I found it helpful to have a separate list of everything I wanted so I could compare to each and every build sheet I received back.

In all fairness I had a pretty extensive list and why I drove to ETI a few weeks back. To not only transport and leave my sink, cook top, faucets, solar port, but also to go through my build sheet line by line with Tina and to see my Formica, Flooring and fabric samples in the demo unit. I ordered and paid for my flooring at Pioneer that day and as soon as I was back home I placed my fabric order with Sailrite and can say everything is sitting at ETI waiting to be installed including the flooring and fabric. ETI will order the Formica I picked out.

My Formica will be Matt black, flooring Armstrong Pemberton Grizzly Gray and cushions dressed in Sunbrella Milano Charcoal.

With regards to taking stuff across the border to leave with ETI, it is perfectly legal and you will not pay any taxes on personal items. Key word is personal items just like clothes etc. Just keep in mind whatever you tell the Canadian agent you are bringing into Canada to leave with ETI, the U.S agent will have that list on their computer screen when you return to the U.S.

One of many questions I asked Tina was how they keep from installing someone else custom flooring, Formica or Fabric into another owner’s trailer. She stated we download pictures and tape them to the side of trailer and the installer has to verify the item they are installing against the picture on the trailer. They tape the different segments of your build sheet on the sides which you will notice in build pictures posted on the forum.

Below is the final list I decided on, but have until February 2nd to make any changes. After that date any changes come with a cost of $200 cdn. Also included are items I currently plan on installing after I get home with my new 5.0TA.

Microwave built in
Winterizing T-Valve
Exterior shower P/S
Inverter
Surge Protector
Removable Power Cord
LED Awning Light
Air Conditioner
Maxx Fan Upgrade
Wireless Bkup Camera
TV cable ready
Stainless range hood
Toilet shut-off valve
Delete bath sink
Custom Flooring
Custom Formica
Custom fabric, full wrap
Install 2nd TV ready
Graphics delete
2 filled propane bottle

Customer provided items;

Bath faucet Dura Faucet

Aftermarket install

DryDek for bath floor
Cabramo 12v marine fan
Lugan table mount

Cheers!
Well done!!!!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Wow Kent, you are going to be the king of the "escape" road!
Amazing!!
Old 11-09-2017, 01:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Thanks for posting your build, ours is a month after yours and I've barely discussed it with my wife yet but we have fabric samples on the way now at least.

Are you lengthening the bottom step to install an electric heater?
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Sounds amazing!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thank you for this fantastically detailed post! My build date is right after yours and I am also visiting Escape in January to go over the sheet for my 19. I am seriously considering the Dickinson stove; where did you get yours?
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
What CX supply TV mounts and where are they to be placed?

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Looks like a well thought out list, Kent. You are certainly going to enjoy your new trailer. Are you headed to the Escape Rally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
I am seriously considering the Dickinson stove; where did you get yours?
I have found with my 3 Dickinson purchases, that the price and the service dealing directly with them could not be beat. They will give you a price via phone or email that beats the list price, being quite competitive with resellers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks, Jim. I will give them a call. I assume they can ship directly to Escape being a Canadian company.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
I am also curious about more details on the following if you would be so kind:

Thanks,
Eric
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Hi Kent,

I'd like to recommend three more minor additions to your build sheet that my wife and I find very useful:
  • Foot flush toilet
  • Additional light switch by the front door wired to the overhead light between the kitchen and the bathroom
  • Opening window in the bathroom
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks, Jim. I will give them a call. I assume they can ship directly to Escape being a Canadian company.
Yes they will, but of course for a fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Hi Kent,

I'd like to recommend three more minor additions to your build sheet that my wife and I find very useful:
  • Foot flush toilet
We got the foot flush toilet, and I am not too keen on it. I find it awkward to use compared to the hand flush. I would not have done it if I could go back.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why no solar on the roof? Also be careful with the cx mount toilet tissue holder, do not use screws in the box.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Well done!!!!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
There is nothing more satisfying than working diligently on a project and seeing a long awaited dream come to fruition. I bet the installers at ETI will enjoy seeing something out of the ordinary! My favourite addition are your tires/rims! Kent, are you having your trailer delivered?
Old 11-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Microwave built in
Winterizing T-Valve
Exterior shower P/S
Inverter
Surge Protector
Removable Power Cord
LED Awning Light
Air Conditioner
Maxx Fan Upgrade
Wireless Bkup Camera
TV cable ready
Stainless range hood
Toilet shut-off valve
Delete bath sink
Custom Flooring
Custom Formica
Custom fabric, full wrap
Install 2nd TV ready
Graphics delete
2 filled propane bottle

Customer provided items;

Bath faucet Dura Faucet

Aftermarket install

DryDek for bath floor
Cabramo 12v marine fan
Lugan table mount

Cheers!
Wow is very well thought out and nicely decked out . I am assuming you wanted a 5 th wheel so that is the reason for picking Escape . Can't wait to see pictures . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Well done!!!!
Thank you Honair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Wow Kent, you are going to be the king of the "escape" road!
Amazing!!
Not sure I could fill those shoes from Chris or Jim who have custom interiors they did themselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
Thanks for posting your build, ours is a month after yours and I've barely discussed it with my wife yet but we have fabric samples on the way now at least.

AKMACS, glad you liked!

Are you lengthening the bottom step to install an electric heater?
I thought about that copying Jim, but in the end I decided to enlarge just to have more space for junk, we can never have too much junk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Sounds amazing!
Fox Hunt, I hope it turns out as good as what I have pictured in my head!

Quote:
Thank you for this fantastically detailed post! My build date is right after yours and I am also visiting Escape in January to go over the sheet for my 19. I am seriously considering the Dickinson stove; where did you get yours?
Maiki, thank you and see Jim already gave you the answer.

Quote:
Honair, got off Amazon as they come with two mounts and one arm.

https://www.amazon.com/Ready-America.../dp/B00149RVK8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Looks like a well thought out list, Kent. You are certainly going to enjoy your new trailer. Are you headed to the Escape Rally?
Thanks Jim and yes I have made reservations for 2018 customer appreciation rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I am also curious about more details on the following if you would be so kind:
Install CX provided exterior TV coax Thanks,
Eric
Eric, the full height cabinet is an option and I asked for a cabinet door to access the storage area from just inside the entry door or from the exterior hatch just in front of the entry door.

Others may have done it, but did not see it until I saw Jim's post where he had them lower the exterior P/S hatch. To me the stock location sits quite high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Hi Kent,

• Foot flush toilet
  • Additional light switch by the front door wired to the overhead light between the kitchen and the bathroom
  • Opening window in the bathroom
Thanks Thomas, have had foot flush before and prefer the hand flush. Not sure if this was recent change but if I remember correctly the 5.0 already comes with light switch for overhead light and I'm adding second one to turn on back or D/S LED lights. Now you have me thinking I better call Tina!

Went back and forth with the bath window and made the decision to not have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why no solar on the roof? Also be careful with the cx mount toilet tissue holder, do not use screws in the box.
Thanks cpaharley2008, For now will hook portable into my solar port being installed and will look at adding solar to roof. Right now I'm undecided on type of panel (standard or flexible) and want more data before I decide.

Very interested to see Jim's solar install report. Jim was that a poke in the side you felt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
There is nothing more satisfying than working diligently on a project and seeing a long awaited dream come to fruition. I bet the installers at ETI will enjoy seeing something out of the ordinary! My favourite addition are your tires/rims! Kent, are you having your trailer delivered?
Hi Lynn, no I will be picking mine up in person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Wow is very well thought out and nicely decked out . I am assuming you wanted a 5 th wheel so that is the reason for picking Escape . Can't wait to see pictures . Pat
Patandlinda Yes, way back when I was not keen on the Scamp design and build and when I saw the early Escape 5th wheel. I knew I wanted one someday!

Unfortunately, life and two brain surgeries got in the way, but ready to go now!

Okay, that was allot of responses and hope I did not miss anyone. Thank you all for the positive responses and like everyone else cannot wait to start seeing build pictures! It will be a long winter.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thank you Honair!

Not sure I could fill those shoes from Chris or Jim who have custom interiors they did themselves!

I thought about that copying Jim, but in the end I decided to enlarge just to have more space for junk, we can never have too much junk!

Fox Hunt, I hope it turns out as good as what I have pictured in my head!

Maiki, thank you and see Jim already gave you the answer.

Thanks Jim and yes I have made reservations for 2018 customer appreciation rally.

Eric, the full height cabinet is an option and I asked for a cabinet door to access the storage area from just inside the entry door or from the exterior hatch just in front of the entry door.

Others may have done it, but did not see it until I saw Jim's post where he had them lower the exterior P/S hatch. To me the stock location sits quite high.

Thanks Thomas, have had foot flush before and prefer the hand flush. Not sure if this was recent change but if I remember correctly the 5.0 already comes with light switch for overhead light and I'm adding second one to turn on back or D/S LED lights. Now you have me thinking I better call Tina!

Went back and forth with the bath window and made the decision to not have it.

Thanks cpaharley2008, For now will hook portable into my solar port being installed and will look at adding solar to roof. Right now I'm undecided on type of panel (standard or flexible) and want more data before I decide.

Very interested to see Jim's solar install report. Jim was that a poke in the side you felt!

Hi Lynn, no I will be picking mine up in person!

Patandlinda Yes, way back when I was not keen on the Scamp design and build and when I saw the early Escape 5th wheel. I knew I wanted one someday!

Unfortunately, life and two brain surgeries got in the way, but ready to go now!

Okay, that was allot of responses and hope I did not miss anyone. Thank you all for the positive responses and like everyone else cannot wait to start seeing build pictures! It will be a long winter.
You go Kent ! Very glad you are getting your dream ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #19

Quote:

I bought the same set a year ago, and have plans to install them finally over the next while. Escape ran cable to two locations, but I still need to install a port for cable or antenna in.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #20

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furrion FTVINB-PS- TV Connector.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	28159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I bought the same set a year ago, and have plans to install them finally over the next while. Escape ran cable to two locations, but I still need to install a port for cable or antenna in.
When I first received the TV mount my immediate response was "Oh I think the mounts will be to big" and ETI won't install it, but imagine my surprise when I walked into ETI and right up front the mount they offer is the same size.

With regards to the TV coax Furrion offers two Coax connector housings, one the same size as what ETI installs, but I think better looking and one where the housing looks the same and same size as their solar port.

I decided on the mini coax mainly based on price.

https://www.furrion.com/store/
Attached Thumbnails
Furrion TV Inlet.png   Furrion TV Inlet Open.png