My experience importing into US - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 17' Casita Spirit
My experience importing into US

Importing Escape 15B into US/California

Here is my recent experience purchasing a 15B from party in Nanaimo BC and transporting back to California:
1) crossed border into Canada early on a Wednesday-no wait. Of course Passport required.
2) Ferry fee for pickup was $68 C
3) Paid party for 15B w/ certified check in C money
4) Selling party had done all the homework
⁃ provided me with official evidence that no liens were outstanding on their trailer
⁃ an original letter from Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC) that seller was indeed the owner of the 15B (VIN # included) and letter stamped as official
⁃ Vehicle Registration form from ICBC which indicated the seller was the registered owner and his signature thereon was evidence of transferring ownership to me. Essential this is their form of our "pink slip" or title.
⁃ took me to the government insurance office (located in a Home Depot type of store) where I purchased insurance which made me legal with authorities as long as I was in Canada, $78
⁃ trailer had all the necessary labels indicating full compliance with US safety (DOT) requirements
5) pickup plus trailer ferry crossing $178
6) passed through US border in about 30 minutes but then needed to pull over to the office area for form 7501
7) took about 60 minutes for US officials to fill out form 7501. Should have been less than 15 minutes but 'official' wasn't adept with computer. Official went out to verify VIN # but that was all.
8) No US fees or taxes.
9) California DMV was slow but eventually deemed all the documents in order.
10) I was lucky the Canadian seller knew exactly what I needed. Canadians are great.
yolofitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #2

Trailer: none
We had a similar good experience in July. We had transferred funds to the seller ahead of time so that was already done.

Our seller had prepared the ICBC Transfer/Tax form but we never needed it either at the border or with our DMV office. We were not staying in Canada and not getting the Canadian insurance so that might have been the difference.

We had filled out the 7501 form ahead of time (Actually Tammy at Escape filled it out even though we were picking up a used trailer) and that saved some time...we only spent about 15 minutes at the Border office while they checked the forms and and VIN #.

It goes smoothly as long as you have the right paperwork. Then you just have to find someone in your local DMV that understands that they REALLY don't have a 'title' in Canada like we do in the US!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
RE: "...Then you just have to find someone in your local DMV that understands that they REALLY don't have a 'title' in Canada like we do in the US!"

I just returned this morning from my local New Mexico DMV, where I tried and failed to get my 19 (pre)registered. I had in hand the Bill of Sale, the factory Certificate of Origin, and all the other pre-documents for Customs that Tammy sent me.

I am due pick up the trailer in Sumas late next week. Wanted to bring plates with me. My local DMV refused.
  1. Said cannot process until vehicle has gone through Customs.
  2. Said Need a completed Customs document.
  3. Said cannot do temp plates on out-of-country sales.
  4. Said they must see the trailer to confirm physical inspection of VIN.
Now What?
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 17' Casita Spirit
When your Escape crosses the border, you'll have to go into the office and show them your documents and they will complete Form 7501, a single page form. If you bring into US, no problem. If someone else (a broker), then I don't know what happens. You might have to pay import fees/taxes, I just don't know.

2. ..completed customs doc...that's Form 7501

4. when you register at your DMV w/ your Escape in tow, they will verify the "sticker" that the Escape construction conforms to US DOT specs. You'll have no problem.
yolofitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
RE: "...Then you just have to find someone in your local DMV that understands that they REALLY don't have a 'title' in Canada like we do in the US!"

I just returned this morning from my local New Mexico DMV, where I tried and failed to get my 19 (pre)registered. I had in hand the Bill of Sale, the factory Certificate of Origin, and all the other pre-documents for Customs that Tammy sent me.

I am due pick up the trailer in Sumas late next week. Wanted to bring plates with me. My local DMV refused.
Now What?

Check with Dave in Corrales...he was able to get his plates ahead of time just a month ago! We couldn't get ours ahead of time because it was a used trailer but, according to Dave's experience, you should be able to get tags for yours.
Sold both 7/22
Old 09-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

If you can't make any progress just take your plate from the Scamp - if you still have it - and put them on the Escape when it gets delivered to you in Sumas. Since the plate stays with the person in NM you can continue to use that plate on the Escape even after you get it registered here.

Since ours was used, we brought the plate from our sold Scamp with us and had it put on when we picked the trailer up at the Escape factory. Just brought the paperwork with us in case we got stopped on the way home but it was never a problem.
Sold both 7/22
Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
each state has their own rules, it is possible sometimes to put your old plate on and transfer the registration upon return,as long as you have insurance you should be good to go.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Thanks.... Spoke with Dave... going to Rio Rancho at dawn tomorrow.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks.... Spoke with Dave... going to Rio Rancho at dawn tomorrow.
Good luck and have a safe trip to Chilliwack and back!
Sold both 7/22
Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Our camper will not be delivered until the 16th. Last week we took all the papers Tammy sent us and our old tag from the Casita to the DMV. All they wanted was the bill of sale and certificate of origin. They transferred our plate, gave us registration paperwork and said the title should take about a week. We may have the title before it is delivered. All they wanted was the big check for the taxes.

Welcome to Tennessee
Old 12-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019
Can Fran and Dave Help me import a Brand new flat bed trailer made in Mexico into the United States?

Thanks,

Jp.
jp@emotionlog.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
They haven't posted on this forum in over 3 years.

You might try sending them an email.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #13

Sorry, our only experience was in bringing the used Escape trailer into the US from Canada...
Maybe someone else on the forum can help with your question.
Sold both 7/22
Old 12-16-2019, 10:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Talking Plates

WE kept the plate off our sold Casita last fall..will simply mount it on the new E-21 this Spring and after we get home to TN take it and all papers to DMV for registration..acc to what we were told by DMV spox
Sounded easy peasy..so there MUST be a catch to it. ;-)

I figer ETI will open their planned "AZ Dealership" the day after we pick up our new baby in Canada on April 27th
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #15

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
We too took our Casita plate which was still good and mounted it upon delivery. Got new plates upon registering @ home. Figured if i got stopped on the way home, I had all the paperwork to explain why.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #16

I have had the same plate on all of my Escapes, I keep it when selling and take with me for the new one. Once home, transfer plates, saves $$ vs buying a new one. In addition we have 5 year renewal options on the plates.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Quote:

Now What?
In our case, we didn't worry about NM DMV. We had a permanent NM plate from our previous TT which we took along to Sumas to put on the E21. We traveled in the Western US for 3 months. When we got back, went to NMDMV office in Espanola with only the paperwork and not the trailer. We had no problems getting registered and it was quite apparent the only thing they were concerned with was collecting the sales tax. You don't need to have the trailer present since there is no VIN checking on a manufacturer new trailer. The paperwork provided by Escape was all that was needed and it was absolutely no problem to get it done. Hope you have that same easy experience!
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #18

More than 2/3 of the new Escape owners have no tags until they get back to their home state and I'm not aware of any having any issues while enroute home without a tag on their vehicle. Just make sure you have insurance and you will be fine. The hard part is, once home, dealing with the home state DMV over pricing and conversion, made simpler now with US prices.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
In our case, we didn't worry about NM DMV. We had a permanent NM plate from our previous TT which we took along to Sumas to put on the E21. We traveled in the Western US for 3 months. When we got back, went to NMDMV office in Espanola with only the paperwork and not the trailer. We had no problems getting registered and it was quite apparent the only thing they were concerned with was collecting the sales tax. You don't need to have the trailer present since there is no VIN checking on a manufacturer new trailer. The paperwork provided by Escape was all that was needed and it was absolutely no problem to get it done. Hope you have that same easy experience!
All they want here in TN is to collect the tax. BTW what route will you use to get to Canada when the time comes?
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote