My Packing/Acquisition List prior to E5.0 TA pickup in Sumas, WA - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thanks a lot! I am trying to find the product with fewer additives for precisely that reason. I will look for sodium hypochlorite instead.

We definitely do not like the smell of chlorine in the water. But, we use Brita for filtering water for drinking and cooking. That does some of what you are suggesting.
Just standard chlorox. Sodium Hypochlorite is what chlorine bleach is....you will see a % of around 5-8% of it.

An activated carbon filter in your Brita will do it.
Ian and Sue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Thank you! I will get regular Clorox.

I was just getting spooked by the various other ingredients they list (e.g., hydrogen peroxide) and varying concentrations, which I assume impact how much once adds.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Unless you're storing your hoses above the LP tanks like us and others here, that bag just helps you use up valuable storage space. We saw that board for hoses when we looked at a 5.0 in Gaylord, MN. After looking at their 5.0 we changed our 21 order to a 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
Have you seen them? I'd say likely a 16th of an inch on each side BUT for me it does make handling the hose and electrical cord much EASIER! I would think that these would fit on your shelf as well. I put the two bags right into the front hatch along with my Weber Q and some other things. I have considered the shelf but so far I haven't needed the space and unless I need more space I want to avoid needing to move things when I need to fill my propane tanks.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #44

Ronn - Thanks for suggesting this. Organizing all the various hoses and extension cord has been bit of a concern. What you suggested seems like a good way to address it. I will add this item.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #45

Trailer: Truck camper, pending Escape
Hi kavm, I been enjoying your threads. Now if I may I'll add a few suggestions ...

Quote:
Might drop the brake adjustment tool, though it is small in price, weight and volume.
Just buy it already. No you don't need the specific tool and many of us have used screwdrivers etc but if it makes it easier, just get it. You might want a flash lite when adjusting also - one should be in your kit anyway.

Tires and brakes should always be monitored and maintained so it would be also good to carry a tire pressure gauge to use for both TV and trailer - if your compressor kit doesn't incl one.

May I also suggest, because they are so useful, a cheap multimeter, circuit tester or similar. Harbour Freight has a cheap 7 function multimeter for <$7. Now, I know you're not a DIYer but should you have electrical issues it will be easier for someone to help troubleshoot with you if you have a way of testing for circuit voltage and/or continuity, whether that person assisting is on the phone or from the next camp site over.
snas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #46

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snas View Post
Hi kavm, I been enjoying your threads. Now if I may I'll add a few suggestions ...

Just buy it already. No you don't need the specific tool and many of us have used screwdrivers etc but if it makes it easier, just get it. You might want a flash lite when adjusting also - one should be in your kit anyway.

Tires and brakes should always be monitored and maintained so it would be also good to carry a tire pressure gauge to use for both TV and trailer - if your compressor kit doesn't incl one.

May I also suggest, because they are so useful, a cheap multimeter, circuit tester or similar. Harbour Freight has a cheap 7 function multimeter for <$7. Now, I know you're not a DIYer but should you have electrical issues it will be easier for someone to help troubleshoot with you if you have a way of testing for circuit voltage and/or continuity, whether that person assisting is on the phone or from the next camp site over.
All good advice.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #47

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice, Snas!

I had originally planned to go to Wal-Mart this weekend with my Amazon shopping cart and see if something was cheaper. On the second thought, we have beautiful snow laden mountains outside and spending time in a Walmart to save little money did not seem like a good tradeoff. So, I just bought the Amazon cart (including the brake adjusting tool for a whopping $3.47 and a digital tire pressure gauge), and am going to spend tomorrow on the snow instead. Makes me much happier!

I have added the multimeter to the list. It will be a bit before I pick one up as we first need to deal with the deluge from Amazon and other e-tailers on the way starting tomorrow! You will have to help solve my electrical problems with with it!
Old 02-19-2021, 09:35 PM   #48

Quote:
You will have to help solve my electrical problems with with it!
No worries brother, made in Canada - you'll be golden. Trust me on that

You don't want to bring too many but the thing with tools is you may be able to offer them to someone else along the way. And if you have the room it never hurts to carry a little extra for the other guy. Some bottled water, spare gas, snacks, whatever. Good Karma is a welcome passenger on any road trip !
Old 02-20-2021, 06:46 AM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
No worries brother, made in Canada - you'll be golden. Trust me on that
You do of course mean assembled in Canada and not made in Canada. So many components manufactured elsewhere. Reminds me of touring the Harley-Davidson Assembly Plant in York, PA, years ago when someone asked the tour guide how much of a Harley is made in America (the USA) and was told over 96%. Standing in front of fork tubes in crates marked “Made in Japan,” being a smart as I raised my hand and mentioned that the fork tubes were marked as Japanese manufactured and they looked to me like they were much more than 4% of the bike. If looks could kill, I wouldn’t be writing this post right now! But the truth is that Harley Davidson uses the number of components in calculating manufacturing percentages so a single small nut or machine screw is considered the same as a much larger front end component. ETI uses lots of non-Canadian manufactured components. But I do agree with one point: but an Escape and you’ll be golden.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
... being a smart as ..
Well you said it not me

Notwithstanding your comment, there been so much foreign ownership, outsourcing and preferential access permitted in my country please allow me the small pleasure of belief - however misguided - of having a domestic trailer mfr to purchase from - I wouldn't buy one otherwise.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:09 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Well you said it not me

Notwithstanding your comment, there been so much foreign ownership, outsourcing and preferential access permitted in my country please allow me the small pleasure of belief - however misguided - of having a domestic trailer mfr to purchase from - I wouldn't buy one otherwise.
There are several domestic trailer “assemblers” in Canada such as Escape in BC and Alto in Quebec as well as other less well known. But I know of no domestic motor vehicle manufacturers based in Canada, even though GM, Ford, and Chrysler are or have assembled vehicles in Canada. All three, as well as the “foreign” brands use components made in many other countries. But unlike you, I shop primarily with quality in mind rather than country of origin. If the Escape as it is constructed in Chilliwack were assembled in China or Bangladesh of the same high quality, I would buy one, not caring if it were made in my country of citizenship. Note that I own an Escape and not a Scamp or a Casita that are both assembled in the USA. And I hope you don’t think there is no foreign ownership, outsourcing, and preferential access on this side of the border, that Canada alone suffers from corporate “maladies.”
Old 02-20-2021, 09:34 PM   #52

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
.... I shop primarily with quality in mind rather than country of origin. If the Escape as it is constructed in Chilliwack were assembled in China or Bangladesh of the same high quality, I would buy one, not caring if it were made in my country of citizenship....
Kudos
Old 02-24-2021, 06:11 AM   #53

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Hey Guys,

This conversations, as usual, seems to go well beyond a simple list of stuff to spend money on. Thanks Kavm! After reading some of the posts here, I decided to get a 6 gallon compressor and fittings.

Here is my question. In the Escape video the gentleman is shown putting the compressor fitting on a pressure reducing valve (PRV) as it goes into the fresh water bypass, using his home made hose fitting.

My guess is he is using that as a way to hook up the compressor and the PRV is doing nothing. After all, it regulates water pressure and not air movement.

So is there anything stopping me from using the proper air compressor fitting that connects right into the bypass threads and setting the pressure to 40 #'s at the compressor?

This seems to be okay as long as your pressure is not too high.

Thoughts, from you wise guys?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:53 AM   #54

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Hey Guys,

This conversations, as usual, seems to go well beyond a simple list of stuff to spend money on. Thanks Kavm! After reading some of the posts here, I decided to get a 6 gallon compressor and fittings.

Here is my question. In the Escape video the gentleman is shown putting the compressor fitting on a pressure reducing valve (PRV) as it goes into the fresh water bypass, using his home made hose fitting.

My guess is he is using that as a way to hook up the compressor and the PRV is doing nothing. After all, it regulates water pressure and not air movement.

So is there anything stopping me from using the proper air compressor fitting that connects right into the bypass threads and setting the pressure to 40 #'s at the compressor?

This seems to be okay as long as your pressure is not too high.

Thoughts, from you wise guys?
Just to clarify when you say fresh water bypass you mean the city water connection (“bypassing” the fresh water tank). You are correct - you do not need a water pressure regulator or second air pressure regulator. Simply set your compressor regulator output pressure for 40-50 PSI and you are good to go.

PS...throw out that cheap plastic blowout fitting Escape provides and get a brass one where your compressor quick connect attaches without someone having to hold the hose on. Even the guy in the video throws it aside!
https://www.amazon.com/Winterize-Mot...a-570131678618
Old 02-24-2021, 07:49 AM   #55

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just to clarify when you say fresh water bypass you mean the city water connection (“bypassing” the fresh water tank).

Yes, correct assumption. I should have clarified.

Thank you.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
gorilla tape and zip ties are in our tool kit.

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #57

Thank you! I have since acquired gorilla tape. Need to get zip ties soon! Thanks for reminding!
Old 02-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When we started out I had about a dozen screwdrivers in the tool box. When we got the Escape multi bit driver I eliminated about 6 drivers. I still (mis and ab). used a rather large screwdriver so kept that in the mix. Then a few years later I bought the Milwaukee multi bit STUBBY screwdriver several more drivers came out of the box. Now after several years I have the two multi bit drivers, the big screwdriver, a common sized regular screw driver ad a couple of long thin shaft drivers in straight blade and #i Phillips to reach screws where the multi bit shafts are too big and dnd screw is recessed This works for me.
Iowa Dave
My water heater takes a 1 1/16......the standard rear Jack's are 3/4 in
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote