My Packing/Acquisition List prior to E5.0 TA pickup in Sumas, WA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2021, 05:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
My Packing/Acquisition List prior to E5.0 TA pickup in Sumas, WA

We signed off our Escape 5.0 TA build sheet with ETI last week. Our completion date is May 19th but we tentative plan is to pick up in Sumas, WA on the Memorial Day.

I have already made a start at acquiring items we will need. I am sharing it below in hoping to get some feedback as well as to create a useful thread for others.

While I have placed orders for several of the items, there are others on the list that are still saved for later in the shopping cart. So, I can make changes if there is something should be substituted or dropped. Obviously, I have not gotten to the kitchen, bed, cleaning accessories.

Any feedback and advice is welcome!
  • Ordered - Andersen Ultimate Trailer Super EZ Block Bag consisting of:
    • 4 EZ Blocks
    • 2 Camper Levelers with 2 TUFF Chocks
    • 1 Rapid Jack with 1 Rubber Pad
    • 1 Clean Step
    • Sturdy Carry Bag
  • Ordered - LogicBlue Technology LevelMatePRO+ Wireless Vehicle Leveling System
  • Own - Measuring tape (taking with us) for LogicBlue setup
  • Ordered - Harbor Freight - 1/2 inch torque wrench
  • Ordered - Harbor Freight 1/2 inch breaker bar
  • Ordered - Harbor Freight Socket set - including 13/16" (tires), 1-1/15" (water heater)
  • Ordered - VIAIR Air Compressor
  • Own - Allen keys (inc 2mm = 5/64" for water pump)
  • Channellock 131CB 13-in-1 Multi-Bit Ratcheting Screwdriver [Not ordered yet, pending confirmation from ETI about multi-bit screwdriver]
  • 2x 25' Camco drinking water hose
  • Hose coupling
  • Camco EVO Water filter
  • Water Pressure Regulator (ETI)
  • 25' 30-AMP Extension cord
  • Adapter for 50 amp male to 30 AMP female
  • Adapter for 15 amp male to 30 AMP female
  • Kneeling pad
  • Foam Mat
  • RV toilet paper (Scott)
  • Electric brake adjusting tool
  • Odorlos V77003 Holding Tank Treatment
  • Vacuum cleaner - TBD
  • Collinite 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax (16 oz.) Bundled with Microfiber Cloth & Foam Pad

The following items are a bit confusing:
  • Wax: I read that wax application early makes removing the bug splatters easier to clean. We aren't up for climbing ladders but can access the front of the camper from the TV while hooked up. I just am not clear how ambitious one ought to be in this. I have added https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Fib.../dp/B07BSV5JH7 to my shopping cart.
  • Bleach: I need to buy it for water sanitation- to add a capful at the end of our return trip for a maintenance treatment as it will sit a bit. When I look at something like - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...fl-oz/31955544 - it comes with warning saying It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. So, I am wondering if I am looking at the right product? Some of the cleaning type products have other ingredients as well. So, getting a specific product advice would be much appreciated.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
You’ll also need a 1/4” Allen wrench driver (at least 2” long) plus adaptor to fit your 1/2” drive torque wrench for the Anderson king pin adaptor.
Jwinfrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I personally believe that the Hitch Pitch is a better product than the Level Mate. I have experience using both. Only needed if you don’t have a co-pilot to watch the levels on the trailer. Not even needed then if you are OK with hopping in and out a few times when setting up. If you can, I personally would return the Level Mate.

You don’t need Scott RV toilet paper. Any paper that disintegrates if you put it in a jar of water and shake it is fine and likely less expensive.

Waxing early doesn’t really make bugs easier to remove. Either way, elbow grease is required. Don’t believe everything you read, particularly on the internet.

Bleach is bleach. No mater what brands you buy the packaging is likely to contain that warning.

You don’t need a brake adjusting tool. A flat bladed screwdriver will work fine.

A Ryobi battery powered impact wrench though more expensive than a breaker bar makes it much easier to remove lug nuts, especially on the tow vehicle where torque specifications may be 150 ft-lbs. On my F-150 I have had to stand on and bounce on a breaker bar to break a torqued lug it free. Slip, and you risk potentially severe injury.

The hoses, filter, and extension cord can be purchased at Walmart, probably cheaper than almost anywhere else. And while you are there, purchase a better sewer hose because the one ETI provides leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
"Ordered - Harbor Freight Socket set - including 13/16" (tires), 1-1/15" (water heater)"

I'm guessing this is a typo. The water heater plug is 1-1/8".
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinfrey View Post
You’ll also need a 1/4” Allen wrench driver (at least 2” long) plus adaptor to fit your 1/2” drive torque wrench for the Anderson king pin adaptor.
Thanks a lot!

I am having ETI install the Andersen king pin adapter as a part of my build. The plan is for them to use one of theirs before delivering it to me in Sumas, WA. And, for us to give ours to the driver at the time of pick up.

But, I will get one just in case it needs tightening...
Old 02-18-2021, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
"Ordered - Harbor Freight Socket set - including 13/16" (tires), 1-1/15" (water heater)"

Indeed a typo. We are getting a standard set - so 1-1/8 is covered.

Thank you!
Old 02-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When we started out I had about a dozen screwdrivers in the tool box. When we got the Escape multi bit driver I eliminated about 6 drivers. I still (mis and ab). used a rather large screwdriver so kept that in the mix. Then a few years later I bought the Milwaukee multi bit STUBBY screwdriver several more drivers came out of the box. Now after several years I have the two multi bit drivers, the big screwdriver, a common sized regular screw driver ad a couple of long thin shaft drivers in straight blade and #i Phillips to reach screws where the multi bit shafts are too big and dnd screw is recessed This works for me.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I personally believe that the Hitch Pitch is a better product than the Level Mate. I have experience using both. Only needed if you don’t have a co-pilot to watch the levels on the trailer. Not even needed then if you are OK with hopping in and out a few times when setting up. If you can, I personally would return the Level Mate.

You don’t need Scott RV toilet paper. Any paper that disintegrates if you put it in a jar of water and shake it is fine and likely less expensive.

Waxing early doesn’t really make bugs easier to remove. Either way, elbow grease is required. Don’t believe everything you read, particularly on the internet.

Bleach is bleach. No mater what brands you buy the packaging is likely to contain that warning.

You don’t need a brake adjusting tool. A flat bladed screwdriver will work fine.

A Ryobi battery powered impact wrench though more expensive than a breaker bar makes it much easier to remove lug nuts, especially on the tow vehicle where torque specifications may be 150 ft-lbs. on my F-150 I have had to stand on and bounce on a breaker bar to break a torqued lug it free. Slip, and you risk potentially severe injury.

The hoses, filter, and extension cord can be purchased at Walmart, probably cheaper than almost anywhere else. And while you are there, purchase a better sewer hose because the one ETI provides leaves a lot to be desired.
Thank you so much for the detailed comments! Really appreciate your advice.
  • I will look at Hitch Pitch product. Level mate is not ordered yet. It is in my Amazon shopping cart that I have yet to check out
  • The Scott RV toilet paper is checked out. It wasn’t terribly expensive at Wal Mart (about 50 cents a roll).
  • I got your point about waxing. We will still buy the wax and try to wax the parts we can reach from the ground.
  • I might drop the break adjusting tool. It’s very cheap - and I thought it might make it easier for a novice.
  • Good point about the breaker bar and recommendation for Ryobi. Is this what you recommend: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...261K/313581565
    I will have to return the Harbor Freight breaker bar but that’s doable as the store is not too far.
  • Going to contact ETI to see if we can drop the sewer hose. It would feel weird to throw out the completely new hose from ETI.
  • I am headed to WalMart later today or tomorrow. Will hold off checking out my shopping cart on Amazon and will look around for the items. Will pick up bleach there.
Once again - very much appreciate you taking the time for detailed comments and advice! Very helpful indeed.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA "Catalyst"
I have found that I needed two sets of the jack blocks. one for the front jacks and one for the stabilizers when on uneven sites. I do have the raised frame and some times the stabiliers don't quite reach the ground. I also suggest a second, not for drinking, water hose for rinsing things including the sewer hose and a door or patio mat to wipe your feet on.
Cleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When we started out I had about a dozen screwdrivers in the tool box. When we got the Escape multi bit driver I eliminated about 6 drivers. I still (mis and ab). used a rather large screwdriver so kept that in the mix. Then a few years later I bought the Milwaukee multi bit STUBBY screwdriver several more drivers came out of the box. Now after several years I have the two multi bit drivers, the big screwdriver, a common sized regular screw driver ad a couple of long thin shaft drivers in straight blade and #i Phillips to reach screws where the multi bit shafts are too big and dnd screw is recessed This works for me.
Iowa Dave
Thanks Dave! I have emailed ETI to see if I can/will get the Escape multi-bit driver. If so, I will drop the multi-bit from my shopping cart. We have some flat and Phillips screwdrivers. Will pack a couple of each.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleta View Post
I have found that I needed two sets of the jack blocks. one for the front jacks and one for the stabilizers when on uneven sites. I do have the raised frame and some times the stabiliers don't quite reach the ground. I also suggest a second, not for drinking, water hose for rinsing things including the sewer hose and a door or patio mat to wipe your feet on.
Many thanks!
  • We do have 4 EZ blocks from Andersen. Is that sufficient or do we need to add more?
  • The cleaning water hose is something I was thinking about. Not sure how long - 25’? and how does one use it? Does one use it to push water into the black and gray water outlets after using the dump station? Something else?
  • One more question - should we keep 2 - 25’ hoses for drinking water and get one gray water hose for cleaning? Or, were you suggesting replacing the second 25’ hose from drinking water kind to gray water kind?
Old 02-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #12

But wait....there's more!

Good suggestion for the entrance or patio mat.

Safety straps to retain your awning and straps to keep it from fluttering excessively in wind are useful. Not tie-down straps, but clip devices.

An assortment of zip-ties, a grease gun with proper lubricant for wheel bearings, latex gloves for the dump station, ......oh....some good quality duct tape, gaffers tape is even better.

Down the road you may want a wand for flushing the water heater, another wand for flushing the black tank.

I better stop here.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Robertson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thanks Dave! I have emailed ETI to see if I can/will get the Escape multi-bit driver. If so, I will drop the multi-bit from my shopping cart. We have some flat and Phillips screwdrivers. Will pack a couple of each.
If you get multi-bit drivers they will have some square bits. These are for Robertson style screws. There is a predominance of these screws on the Escape. A # 2 Robertson comes in very handy. I will tell you how nice Canadians have been to me. I needed a #2 Robertson when I was in Niagara Falls the first year we attended the Wine escape. I was in the the town of Niagara Falls looking for a hardware store. I stopped at an antique shop for directions. The guy there said the hardware store had closed sadly and what did I need. I told him a square bit screwdriver. He told me it was a Robertson and probably a #2. He took me into his shop and pulled open his tool box and showed me a red handled driver. The #2s are red and I’ll sell you this one for $2. I bought it, it works great and I’ve used it over and over even when the multi-bit driver is right there with it. Canadians are nice people.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-18-2021, 09:58 AM   #14

HABBERDABBER - Many thanks! Much appreciated. No need to stop with advice. We are complete novices starting from scratch. So, even if we don’t buy it now - we can keep a list for future...
  • Patio mat is on the list. Have yet to find one we want.
  • We are definitely concerned about securing the manual awning. We looked into awning lock recommended by several posters. Installing it seemed beyond our reach, so it is postponed to when we can get back from our pickup and we can get someone to install it for us. I will try to research how the awning straps work. Any advice on that or specific product - please share.
  • I will add the gaffer tape, zip ties, gloves to the list.
  • Need to educate myself on where the grease is applied and how to use the grease gun before buying one
  • Will look for the two wands. If there is a link / product name for appropriate / recommended kind - that’s be great!
Thanks again! The purpose of posting the list (aside from help for others in a similar situation) was precisely to find out what we may be missing.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post

Not to nitpick but the water heater plug/anode on the Suburban SW6D(E) is 1-1/16”. A 27mm metric socket should also work.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Going to contact ETI to see if we can drop the sewer hose. It would feel weird to throw out the completely new hose from ETI.
Your build sheet has "Sewer Tube Kit (includes adaptor)" for $40. Based on the price this may be an upgraded hose. Double check with ETI. If this is not an upgraded hose (4 prong bayonet ends and thicker construction overall) do yourself a favor and get a Camco or other established brand. They are made much better. This is not something to scrimp on.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFL...01HPHR2M4?th=1

This is the type of thing that can happen to the cheap 2 prong hose that I believe is the standard offering from Escape:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post363855
Old 02-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #17

rubicon327 - Thank you very much for explaining the difference between good and bad sewer hose! I am composing the email to ETI just now.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #18

Seek, and ye shall find

Search for these terms:

rv water heater flush wand

rv black tank flush wand
Old 02-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #19

HABBERDABBER - Thank you very much! Added the Camco variety to my shopping cart. Am going to Wal-Mart later today and will pick up items with better price than Amazon...
Old 02-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #20

To close the loop - what I learned from ETI was:
  • The sewer hose provided by ETI would not fit the "upgraded" definition that rubicon327 shared. I have asked ETI to omit including their sewer hose (not clear if we'd get any credit for that) and added the Camco RhinoFLEX 15ft hose on to my cart.
  • The multi-bit screwdriver is included. So, I am going to drop that from my shopping cart.