My Packing/Acquisition List prior to E5.0 TA pickup in Sumas, WA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2021, 01:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 21C
Only two things I can think to comment on.
1. Keep the brake adjusting tool. I'm old enough to have worked with automobile drum brakes, and using the curved tool is much easier than a screwdriver. And it's cheap.
2. Wax your trailer. In my experience it does in fact make it much easier to wash off the dirt and bugs. I am going to try some Chemical Guys Jet Seal when the 21C arrives. I've used it on several vehicles and it does a terrific job of shedding dust and dirt and lasts a very long time. Want to see how it does on the fiberglass. Alternatively, the new spray-on ceramics may be an option, although expensive.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
To close the loop - what I learned from ETI was:
  • The sewer hose provided by ETI would not fit the "upgraded" definition that rubicon327 shared. I have asked ETI to omit including their sewer hose (not clear if we'd get any credit for that) and added the Camco RhinoFLEX 15ft hose on to my cart.
  • The multi-bit screwdriver is included. So, I am going to drop that from my shopping cart.
I have a rhino flex it’s been very good. The Escape driver is excellent as was previously noted. To get home, you won’t need much. Checking the lug nuts is important. Once
Home you can begin to build your inventory. For example, if we are camped and my grey water tank gets about full, you can use an adapter cap on your outlet and put short piece of garden hose to drain off a few gallons and dump in my black tank to get “the last Day of grey water capacity. Sometimes at the dump station there’s a non potable water hydrant without a hose on it. In that case you can use the short piece of garden hose to rinse out your Rhino hose when done dumping before you put it away. I keep my little short hose in a little home made vinyl canvas bad that i keep in the front box on the corner opposite to the one where I keep fresh water stuff.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-18-2021, 01:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just take the sewer hose and use it until you can / or need to replace it. Don't toss it on the gravel or concrete and it will last until you find your dream sewer hose.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I concur with Don (DWM3), that the brake adjusting tool is easier than a screwdriver (even my 50 year old one that has been bent, filed, and otherwise modified to do the job!).

Also, we bought Camco 25' and 10' drinking water hoses. We've never been more than 35' away from water, and maybe 50% of the time we use just the 10' hose, so we don't have the bigger pile of coiled hose to contend with upon packing up.

Another also: we have a short ½" extension for our breaker bar and torque wrench. It tends to protect knuckles from injury and wheels from dings. Here's a trick combo product from Harbor Freight: #62491
Attached Thumbnails
HF 62491.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
Only two things I can think to comment on.
1. Keep the brake adjusting tool. I'm old enough to have worked with automobile drum brakes, and using the curved tool is much easier than a screwdriver. And it's cheap.
2. Wax your trailer. In my experience it does in fact make it much easier to wash off the dirt and bugs. I am going to try some Chemical Guys Jet Seal when the 21C arrives. I've used it on several vehicles and it does a terrific job of shedding dust and dirt and lasts a very long time. Want to see how it does on the fiberglass. Alternatively, the new spray-on ceramics may be an option, although expensive.
Thank you!
  • The tool is very cheap and I am keeping it. Given that I bring little skill, the least I can do is to have the right tool
  • We will try our best on the wax front.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I have a rhino flex it’s been very good. The Escape driver is excellent as was previously noted. To get home, you won’t need much. Checking the lug nuts is important. Once
Home you can begin to build your inventory. For example, if we are camped and my grey water tank gets about full, you can use an adapter cap on your outlet and put short piece of garden hose to drain off a few gallons and dump in my black tank to get “the last Day of grey water capacity. Sometimes at the dump station there’s a non potable water hydrant without a hose on it. In that case you can use the short piece of garden hose to rinse out your Rhino hose when done dumping before you put it away. I keep my little short hose in a little home made vinyl canvas bad that i keep in the front box on the corner opposite to the one where I keep fresh water stuff.
Iowa Dave
Thanks a lot for explaining this use of the rinsing hose. Dave!
  • We definitely got the part about tightening the wheels and will do that without fail.
  • Happy with the ETI response on the driver. That's our plan now.
  • Rhinoflex is the plan. I have asked ETI to not include the hose.
  • Thanks to your explanation, I will look for a shorter hose for rinsing the rhino flex hose!
Many thanks!
Old 02-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just take the sewer hose and use it until you can / or need to replace it. Don't toss it on the gravel or concrete and it will last until you find your dream sewer hose.
I already asked ETI to omit the sewer hose. We will not need to toss it. Trying to be responsible to not take an item we do not expect to use for the long run.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I concur with Don (DWM3), that the brake adjusting tool is easier than a screwdriver (even my 50 year old one that has been bent, filed, and otherwise modified to do the job!).

Also, we bought Camco 25' and 10' drinking water hoses. We've never been more than 35' away from water, and maybe 50% of the time we use just the 10' hose, so we don't have the bigger pile of coiled hose to contend with upon packing up.

Another also: we have a short ½" extension for our breaker bar and torque wrench. It tends to protect knuckles from injury and wheels from dings. Here's a trick combo product from Harbor Freight: #62491
Many thanks a lot for excellent suggestions!
  • I too was wondering it 2- 25' ft fresh water hoses were an overkill. A combination of 10' and 25' seems much better.
  • Thanks for sharing the Harbor Freight item. I am going to go to it in the next couple of days and will look for it. I was anyway looking for a 21mm socket as that's the lug nut size for F150.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:07 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Three

Quote:
Many thanks a lot for excellent suggestions!
  • I too was wondering it 2- 25' ft fresh water hoses were an overkill. A combination of 10' and 25' seems much better.
  • Thanks for sharing the Harbor Freight item. I am going to go to it in the next couple of days and will look for it. I was anyway looking for a 21mm socket as that's the lug nut size for F150.
Our previous owner is a very seasoned veteran camper. When we bought the 21 he included three hoses. They are 25, 10 and 6 foot lengths and do not kink. This combination has proven to be vey handy for us. I’ve never needed over 35, lots of
Times a 10 will work. When I camped last fall for a few days in Indiana I used the six as the water hookup was quite near the corner of the pad. So we have 41 feet of fresh water hose. Might sound like an odd number but it’s prime for camping YMMV.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-18-2021, 09:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Our previous owner is a very seasoned veteran camper. When we bought the 21 he included three hoses. They are 25, 10 and 6 foot lengths and do not kink. This combination has proven to be vey handy for us. I’ve never needed over 35, lots of
Times a 10 will work. When I camped last fall for a few days in Indiana I used the six as the water hookup was quite near the corner of the pad. So we have 41 feet of fresh water hose. Might sound like an odd number but it’s prime for camping YMMV.
Iowa Dave
Dave - Thanks for this. I am now switching to the 25' and 10' fresh water hose. That should be a good starting point. We can add something later on if we see the need.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #31

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
[*]Going to contact ETI to see if we can drop the sewer hose. It would feel weird to throw out the completely new hose from ETI.
The sewer hose we received from ETI was about as cheap as they get and they will leak easily.

We have one 5' Camco RhinoFlex sewer hose for dumping at the dump station and another 10' Camco sewer hose for when at a commercial site. We've yet to not be able to dump at a dump station with the 5' hose and when it comes to managing that hose at the station I'll never use a 10-15' hose ever again. The 5' is easy/peazy to use and clean!

The 5' and 10' easily fit in the ETI sewer hose tube.

I've never needed over a 15' water hose much less two 25' hoses.

We also have a 2' hose connected to our water filter inlet side with a 5' hose connected to the outlet side for filling with water. This, added to the 15' hose gives us a 23' hose for a full hookup site.

We have a 10" wide board by the width of the LP compartment that loosely sits on the LP tanks. I coil both the 25' water hose and the water fill hose setup and they sit on top of the board over the LP tanks, a perfect, easily accessible, spot for the hoses.

It sounds like you're trying to carry the proverbial "kitchen sink." We've easily jettisoned 50-100 #'s of gear since our second trip with our 5.0. When we get home from this trip our 5.0 will be losing another 3-5 pounds of needless gear (i.e. don't need to carry the jig saw any more).

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-19-2021, 07:07 AM   #32

Thank you very much, Perry! That’s a very good idea. I will swap the 15 ft out for 5 ft and 10 ft sewer hoses.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My memory is getting bad but I'm not sure I made the 3 week trip home with the one I got from ETI.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #34

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
The sewer hose we received from ETI was about as cheap as they get and they will leak easily.

I second this!!

It sounds like you're trying to carry the proverbial "kitchen sink." We've easily jettisoned 50-100 #'s of gear since our second trip with our 5.0. When we get home from this trip our 5.0 will be losing another 3-5 pounds of needless gear (i.e. don't need to carry the jig saw any more).
We carry quite a bit along but have also jettisoned some original items I thought I wouldn't want to be without due to "overreacting" to some items others have found beneficial. Think of your style and how likely it is that you will need some items. We are very seldom that far away from shopping and I guess Amazon will ship to campgrounds etc.

We have a 10" wide board by the width of the LP compartment that loosely sits on the LP tanks. I coil both the 25' water hose and the water fill hose setup and they sit on top of the board over the LP tanks, a perfect, easily accessible, spot for the hoses.

I bought these Camco RV Equipment Storage Utility Bags for my hose and electrical cord, I find them very handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage Bags -Hose - Electric Cord.png  
Old 02-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #35

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Not related to the trailer operation itself, but I take a small hatchet and a battery powered reciprocal saw to cut firewood when camped.

When camped with water and electric utilities, I like having a "Y" fitting at the water hydrant. One leg of the "Y" has a short hose for cleaning things. The other "Y" has the pressure regulator, filter and drinking water hose attached to the trailer inlet.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #36

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
My memory is getting bad but I'm not sure I made the 3 week trip home with the one I got from ETI.
The hose from ETI looks like a piece of cheap vinyl vent hose. It also does not have rotating bayonets on the ends so the hose can easily twist up.
Attached Thumbnails
cheap hose.jpg  
Old 02-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #37

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I bought these Camco RV Equipment Storage Utility Bags for my hose and electrical cord, I find them very handy.
Unless you're storing your hoses above the LP tanks like us and others here, that bag just helps you use up valuable storage space. We saw that board for hoses when we looked at a 5.0 in Gaylord, MN. After looking at their 5.0 we changed our 21 order to a 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
We signed off our Escape 5.0 TA build sheet with ETI last week. Our completion date is May 19th but we tentative plan is to pick up in Sumas, WA on the Memorial Day.

I have already made a start at acquiring items we will need. I am sharing it below in hoping to get some feedback as well as to create a useful thread for others.

While I have placed orders for several of the items, there are others on the list that are still saved for later in the shopping cart. So, I can make changes if there is something should be substituted or dropped. Obviously, I have not gotten to the kitchen, bed, cleaning accessories.

Any feedback and advice is welcome!
  • Ordered - Andersen Ultimate Trailer Super EZ Block Bag consisting of:
    • 4 EZ Blocks
    • 2 Camper Levelers with 2 TUFF Chocks
    • 1 Rapid Jack with 1 Rubber Pad
    • 1 Clean Step
    • Sturdy Carry Bag
  • Ordered - LogicBlue Technology LevelMatePRO+ Wireless Vehicle Leveling System
  • Own - Measuring tape (taking with us) for LogicBlue setup
  • Ordered - Harbor Freight - 1/2 inch torque wrench
  • Ordered - Harbor Freight 1/2 inch breaker bar
  • Ordered - Harbor Freight Socket set - including 13/16" (tires), 1-1/15" (water heater)
  • Ordered - VIAIR Air Compressor
  • Own - Allen keys (inc 2mm = 5/64" for water pump)
  • Channellock 131CB 13-in-1 Multi-Bit Ratcheting Screwdriver [Not ordered yet, pending confirmation from ETI about multi-bit screwdriver]
  • 2x 25' Camco drinking water hose
  • Hose coupling
  • Camco EVO Water filter
  • Water Pressure Regulator (ETI)
  • 25' 30-AMP Extension cord
  • Adapter for 50 amp male to 30 AMP female
  • Adapter for 15 amp male to 30 AMP female
  • Kneeling pad
  • Foam Mat
  • RV toilet paper (Scott)
  • Electric brake adjusting tool
  • Odorlos V77003 Holding Tank Treatment
  • Vacuum cleaner - TBD
  • Collinite 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax (16 oz.) Bundled with Microfiber Cloth & Foam Pad

The following items are a bit confusing:
  • Wax: I read that wax application early makes removing the bug splatters easier to clean. We aren't up for climbing ladders but can access the front of the camper from the TV while hooked up. I just am not clear how ambitious one ought to be in this. I have added https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Fib.../dp/B07BSV5JH7 to my shopping cart.
  • Bleach: I need to buy it for water sanitation- to add a capful at the end of our return trip for a maintenance treatment as it will sit a bit. When I look at something like - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...fl-oz/31955544 - it comes with warning saying It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. So, I am wondering if I am looking at the right product? Some of the cleaning type products have other ingredients as well. So, getting a specific product advice would be much appreciated.
Most bleach will work but not all. Avoid any bleach with additives such as thickeners or fragrances and you will be just fine just sodium hypochlorite and water. If you do not like the smell of chlorine in your water, put a pitcher full in the fridge when you arrive for the day with no lid...the next day the chlorine smell should be gone and you will have nice fresh cold water to drink.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #39

At my request, ETI will not include their hose. We will get a Rhino Flex hose. There is no point to adding low quality/durability item to the landfill.

The idea on the board above the LP tanks sounds interesting, but I will hold off until we have the camper. I do not have a good visualization of the space around the LP tanks.

Based upon the feedback on not overdoing it - I am going to take one more look at the item list. I did not think I was that far beyond what we'd need in the first summer/fall. All the same, all ideas I came up with thus far are:
  • Will hold off on the Ryobi, and stay with the breaker bar (and the torque wrench).
  • Might drop the brake adjustment tool, though it is small in price, weight and volume. The only reason to drop it is whether I'd be up to this task of adjusting the brakes in the first place I thought of it as Dexter's recommendation was that the 'Brakes should be adjusted (1) after the first 200 miles of operation when the brake shoes and drums have “seated,”and it seemed simple enough on the video...
My wife is both practical and parsimonious in the matter of what goes and what stays. Also, both of us hate shopping, resulting in a lot fewer impulse purchases. {Right now is an exception as we realize that we must get ready for pickup.} So, I am not too worried about carrying the kitchen sink.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Most bleach will work but not all. Avoid any bleach with additives such as thickeners or fragrances and you will be just fine just sodium hypochlorite and water. If you do not like the smell of chlorine in your water, put a pitcher full in the fridge when you arrive for the day with no lid...the next day the chlorine smell should be gone and you will have nice fresh cold water to drink.

Thanks a lot! I am trying to find the product with fewer additives for precisely that reason. I will look for sodium hypochlorite instead.

We definitely do not like the smell of chlorine in the water. But, we use Brita for filtering water for drinking and cooking. That does some of what you are suggesting.