National park fees may be going up. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #21
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
The proposed jump in the entrance fees of many of America’s most popular national parks — to $70 per car for Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and 14 other parks.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
The proposed jump in the entrance fees of many of America’s most popular national parks — to $70 per car for Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and 14 other parks.
Is that for a yearly pass, or a one time use?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Lol, it is apparent you haven’t gone trailering with toddlers. KOA’s and other commercial campgrounds are a godsend when out for an extended trip with the lil ones. I myself look forward to an occasional ice cream social, pool and hot tub, etc. when out on a month trip not to mention full hookups.
Sure did and does save a little of my sanity ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
That's for one-time use, per carload. I was shocked by the current $30 fee per carload on my recent visit to the Grand Canyon's North Rim; I had no idea it would be that high. The place was packed, though, expensive and remote as it was. Fortunately I had the annual pass.

Next September I can get the senior pass and qualify for half-price camping. My luck they'll raise the camping fees enough to negate the senior rate. Ah well.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Camping is different for each of us. Depending on my mood or wants, I can camp with zero services in the boonies or camp on asphalt in a parking lot! Isn't it grand? Next August I'm attending Ian Giles 50th Boler Caravan in Winnipeg. I know nothing about camping in Canada. I expect I'll reserve to stay in mostly serviced campgrounds. Mainly because I don't plan on staying in the campground but touring around and enjoying sights, tourist traps and the like. Because I'll be gone anywhere from a month to six weeks, I'll need laundry services, grocery stores, Pubs , etc. Several of the places I'm really looking forward to staying (in the USA) is the KOA at Devil's Tower. Not for the pool or restaurant, but for the nighttime hayride around the park. After that, the next stop will be the Badlands National Park with NO services. One extreme to the other and it will be ALL great.

"Don't do the same thing 75 times and call it a life." - Nadine Thompson
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
At most parks a pass is good for up to 7 days, so $70 for 1-7 days, in a row of course.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
That's for one-time use, per carload. I was shocked by the current $30 fee per carload on my recent visit to the Grand Canyon's North Rim; I had no idea it would be that high. The place was packed, though, expensive and remote as it was. Fortunately I had the annual pass.

Next September I can get the senior pass and qualify for half-price camping. My luck they'll raise the camping fees enough to negate the senior rate. Ah well.
If the articles I've read are correct the NPS is looking to make changes to the Senior Pass System . The days of half price camping may be numbered especially at the more popular National Parks.
In my home state one of the proposals was to set camping fees for State Parks at the same level as private campgrounds / KOA.
"They" contend that the fees at State Parks are too low and thusly the parks are stealing dollars from private concerns.
We may be on the slippery slope to privatizing our State Parks and public lands and facilities.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If the articles I've read are correct the NPS is looking to make changes to the Senior Pass System . The days of half price camping may be numbered especially at the more popular National Parks.
In my home state one of the proposals was to set camping fees for State Parks at the same level as private campgrounds / KOA.
"They" contend that the fees at State Parks are too low and thusly the parks are stealing dollars from private concerns.
We may be on the slippery slope to privatizing our State Parks and public lands and facilities.
That would bring down the prices in California (well, maybe not matching KOAs prices). I just paid $42.66 per night for two nights at a state campground - San Luis Creek Campground - Water & Electric. The day before was at a commercial campground - Woodson Bridge RV Park. Full hookups for $34.20.

I'm currently dry camping at one of my favorite (and least expensive) California state parks, Red Rock Canyon. Only $23.00 with a $2.00 senior discount. While a beautiful campground, they don't keep it up. Filthy vault toilets (although some have no roofs, so the wind blows them clean) no toilet paper, and the visitor center is closed. I've been here three different times & never saw a ranger or the visitor center open.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'm currently dry camping at one of my favorite (and least expensive) California state parks, Red Rock Canyon. Only $23.00 with a $2.00 senior discount. While a beautiful campground, they don't keep it up. Filthy vault toilets (although some have no roofs, so the wind blows them clean) no toilet paper, and the visitor center is closed. I've been here three different times & never saw a ranger or the visitor center open.
That's one of our favorite campground too. But a little too expensive for just a pad (although cheaper compare to most of the CA state park campgrounds). A little up north there's fossil falls (where the cinder cone is) I think $6/night and nicer than Red Rock when the wind isn't blowing too bad.

We camped at Red Rock 1-2 times a year, and only seen the visitor center open once.. You don't miss much tho.. the Jawbone visitor center has more info about the region.. the only thing I remembered out of the Red Rock visitor center is the flood they suffered one year and the page of Winnie the Pooh book found in the debris..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Several of the places I'm really looking forward to staying (in the USA) is the KOA at Devil's Tower. Not for the pool or restaurant, but for the nighttime hayride around the park. After that, the next stop will be the Badlands National Park with NO services.
That's funny-- three years ago on my maiden voyage in my Escape I did the exact opposite: I stayed in the no-hookups campground in Devil's Tower NP and the Badlands campground with hookups. But had I stayed longer than a couple of days at Badlands I would have moved to the boondocking area, which is just an open area to park your rig. You will enjoy visiting both parks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Comment here:
https://parkplanning.nps.gov/project...rojectId=75576
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
In many states the Senior Pass will also reduce fees in state CG by half. Best ten bucks I ever spent, but of course one has to be 62 to "qualify."
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote