National Park Tour - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
National Park Tour

I'm a couple of years away from retirement but our bucket list is to see all of the National Parks in the lower 48 before we run out of gas. We seen several on our Harley trips but that's the adventure we'd like to do.

Our 21C is scheduled for Oct 2022.

How many have tried the National Park tour?
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
WE have not been in all, however I spent 30 years working for the NPS, and saw the 68 in the Midwest many times. The icon parks will be the most difficult with crowding. I love the NPS, and wish you the best.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
We have done a lot of the National Parks, and have loved every one.
Off season is much nicer for less visitors, but occasionally we still get in traffic jams
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21NE
Partial Grand Circle Tour & other national parks

We don't have our Escape yet, but took our 16 ft Prolite Mini out this October on a 2.5 week road trip from Raleigh, NC to Kanab, Utah. Along the way we saw a few national monuments, etc, but ultimately the parks we hit up were: Petroglyph, Zion, Grand Canyon (North Rim), Bryce Canyon, and Mesa Verde. We were traveling on a time constraint as I didn't have a ton of time off from work and my kids were tracked out (we do year-round school) for 3 weeks. It was fantastic, but also helped seal the deal about needing to upgrade our trailer... I was able to make my case to the hubby that I needed an Escape if we are to do this again. Earlier in the year we had also done Shenandoah, New River Gorge, and the Smokey Mountains, but those are all a shorter drive for us in Raleigh.

So it's on order but in the meantime, we're planning our next trip to Bar Harbor/Acadia in June and will stop at various historic sites in DC, PA, and MA on the way. Once we have our Escape, I'm thinking our next big trip would be for Glacier, Yellowstone, Rushmore, etc... so hopefully that's in the cards for us in 2023. I think doing a big national park swoop would be amazing! I'd just want enough time in each spot to really enjoy them.
newtonsinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
We are sitting at 23 parks so far. All done before we got our Escape. I had thought of attempting to do them all, but some of the parks in Alaska are really difficult to get to...not to mention American Samoa! We're going to keep working at it especially once I retire and have the time for long road trips.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
newtonsinmotion:
When you visit Gettysburg in June we should have our new 2022 E19 then if you want to look at one nearby. We plan on picking it up in May, 2022 and then attending the Escape Osoyoos Rally before heading home.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21C
We have only managed to tackle 12 so far. None of course with the new Escape. Hopefully we can begin checking off more soon. There are several of those I would love to return to. Yellowstone, for me, even with the large crowds was an amazing place and I would love to explore more of the park.
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Well, I've been doing this for a long time (since 1950) so I have had more opportunities than many. That said, 43 National Parks, 36 National Monuments & many, many State Parks.

I used a PDF map pf the National Parks to add links to those that I have made up a page of photos at my website. A warning - it is a large 15.7MB file.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Some guide books may help

National Geographic has a book on the National Parks. Probably a useful resource.
There are many other guide books for your planning.

I read a bit of "Dear Bob & Sue".
DEAR BOB AND SUE chronicles the journey of Matt and Karen Smith, who took a mid-career break to travel to all 58 U.S. National Parks. Written as a series of emails to their friends, Bob and Sue, they describe their sense of awe in exploring our national parks, and share humorous and quirky observations. The national parks are among the most stunning places in America - pristine wilderness, geologic wonders, and magnificent wildlife - places everyone should put on their must-see-before-I-die list.

I wasn't impressed with this book as they were mostly interested in checking off each park and spent little time exploring each park. Their criteria for a "visit" was entering the park Visitor Center. Yawn.

In the Midwest, there's Isle Royale N. P. in Lake Superior. Your Escape won't get you there, but a ferry can. A remote, rugged place; I've been there kayaking twice. That was enough for me.

bon voyage
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
WillyB, you have a life time of adventure in front of you. That said, HABBERDABBER makes a good point regarding planning--don't let the plan spoil the trip!

I will presume that you aren't planning on being full timers. If that is so, then you will be making multiple trips and you will be able to do many other things concurrently with your park visits. Don't miss those opportunities. There are museums, state and regional parks and just plain interesting people and things to see down every road and in every town.

Do you really want to travel to New England and miss the foliage change? How about Death Valley in August? Consider the seasons you love, and the seasons your destinations are in their prime and integrate those factors in your plans. Also consider that you might be enchanted with a particular place beyond your expectations and want to linger for a while longer before moving on.

As for mundane matters, I know from experience that you are unlikely to ever be younger and healthier than you are today. You might want to think about the more challenging destinations early, and consider the more easily reached and less physically challenging ones for later when the high peaks and long hikes aren't as inviting for aching joints.

Planning is really fun, and it keeps the dreams alive, but the adventure is what you are going to remember, so be flexible and don't worry if you discover on the first day out that you forgot the plan on the kitchen table when you left the house--everything will be just fine. Your friends, relatives and neighbors will want to know all about what you found on the trip.

Semper Gumbie (Ever Flexible),

George
Old 12-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Do you really want to travel to New England and miss the foliage change? How about Death Valley in August
DV in August is 107 in the shade. The time to visit Death Valley is winter to mid spring. Its usually quite pleasant in January. We're going in March this coming year hopefully to see the wildflower blooms in the southern end.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:50 PM   #12

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Thanks for the feedback George.

We are a very flexible couple. From a vacationing perspective we set a general idea of direction and then see where the wind takes us.

The best things about an adventure are unexpected.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
a globe trotting motorcyclist I knew used to say two things..

"The Adventure begins when things stop going according to plan"

and

"The more you spend, the less you see"
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I worked for ythe NPS fro 30 years and visited every park in the midwest region for projects, 68 at the time I worked there, there are more now in the 13 states. I was a joy to work for the agency and of course an exercise of flexibility to overcome the lack of resources. On the other hand I learned a whole bunch of tech skills by necessity. Enjoy these jewels and leave a light footprint.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote