New 19 foot started.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 foot 20
New 19 foot started....

We are soon to be new Escapee's and while very excited are getting the first time RV owner jitters.
We are trying to plan a vacation this summer and would really like to head north again..>Whitehorse, Kluane etc.
My concern is that it was a pretty rough ride a few years ago when we did it( Tent and Van!) and I am wondering if anyone has some advice for new owners. Should we stick closer to home (Alberta) and flatter terrain? Any advice would be most appreciated....

Dorothy
macsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Re: New 19 foot started....

Just be sure to pack everything well that will ride in the trailer. Trailer suspensions are not as smooth as car suspensions. We carry our oil filled radiator heater in the car because of this.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Geo

Just go out and enjoy it!
I have walked into the screen door a number of times in the dark.
My wife threaded a silk ribbon onto the mesh, to train me :-)
geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #4

Go north, Dorothy - staying in Alberta is like staying in Kansas

MosquitoDirk in this forum has posted some information on travelling north and there are several Escape owners in Whitehorse that can fill you in on the pot holes north.

How is your Escape equipped for camping without electric hook-up (dry camping a.k.a. boondocking). One of the nicest things about the north country is finding perfect camping spots and being able to stay an extra day or two.

Have fun this summer.

G
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #5

My wife and I picked up "Yukon Escape" last week and drove home.

We went over the Coca Cola pass to Merrit, then over to Spences Bridge, then on up highway 97 to Charlie lake, then on home to Whitehorse.
We stayed in the trailer one night at Williams lake (Minus 5 ) the furnace is loud to a person used to a quiet home. We drove to Ft Nelson the next day, and stayed with father Rodger at Our lady of Sorrows rectory.
The next day we drove to Whitehorse.

The road is in good shape, your only concern should be the bison that use the road, their grazing area uses about 100 kilometers of road.

I kept my speed at between 100 and 105 k

If you come to Whitehorse, give me a call I am in the local paper under "Guns and Bows"

I will attempt to put a couple of photos up.

I can only say thank you to Reace/ Tammy and dave for getting us on the road in good shape.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Glad to hear you got he home now, Doug.

Many RV's will carry a small electric heater to use when hooked up to power, though I have become somewhat used to the sound of the furnace fan, having one in the 3 RV's I have owned. Quiet is much nicer though, I don't know why there isn't a much quieter furnace out there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Yukon Escape... Glad to know you got her home "Safe n Sound".
The poor furnace seems set upon by all. In the cold it has a monumental job to do, from a less than perfect location. Required to push warm air to the four rounded corners of an Escape while being tethered to the wall can't be easy. There's always room for improvement in any product. The way I look at it is... if the noise wakes me up, at least I'll be warm!!!
Now how about those noisy 12V. water pumps? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #8

I will think of something to cure the sound of the furnace, but yes that sound means you are warm.

We arrived late in the park and i was asked if i needed power, I thought there is no better time than now to test the battery operation of our Escape 19 so turned the power down, the cost was twenty dollars for the night.

Made up the bed and while the trailer was warming up we had a glass of wine and played a game of crib.

All went well. Now we are home and the nights and days are getting warmer, camping time is near.

It works out the Yukon College wants me to go to Mayo in May to put on a firearms course, The mining companies have every room in the Yukon Booked. But I have the "Yukon Escape", so no problem.

If you look on a map the course will be held at "Ethel Lake" between "Stewart Crossing" and "Mayo", no pwer hook ups. But I am all set.

Happy to have her and happy to be home with her, I am told she is number nine in the Yukon, so we may have our own get together.

Doug
Old 04-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Escape

If you come to Whitehorse, give me a call I am in the local paper under "Guns and Bows"

Is "Gums and Bows" the old folks home in Whitehorse?
Old 04-17-2011, 02:40 AM   #10

Cute Shanongord;

The home of the newly weds and the nearly deads.

No Since I retired many years ago I needed something to keep busy.

The Firearms office asked me to teach firearms safety, I have an uncanny ability with, and knowledge of guns.

I have been teaching people how to use guns for many years, The workers compensation Board requires that all workers in the bush be taught how to use a gun and the companies they work for are required to issue the workers firearms.

My first trip out with "Yukon Escape" will be to Ethel Lake to teach a group of people how to use guns (It is a course put on by the collage) I do not suppose when you went to collage they had a course on how to use a gun.

My second trip out with Yukon Escape will be to Dawson City to teach a group of workers for an exploration company on how to use firearms. My third and fourth trip will again be for the collage to do the same.
Keeps me busy and out of trouble.
Today I had eleven people over to my home for a days instruction.
Unlike the south every one up here take a gun with them into the bush, I have no end of work in this.

Doug
Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #11

Hi: Yukon Escape... Did you have Reace do any special storage place in the trailer for firearms, or do you use your tow vehicle? This is a foreign subject for us non violent types. I don't even have bear spray or warning bells!!! Alf
Old 04-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #12

Hey Doug:

I'm with you actually: I teach the provincial hunter safety training program which duplicates the Canadian Firearms Safety Course.

Personally, if I am boondocking I always carry a firearm - or pepper spray if there are city folk around.

I have had too many encounters with bears, cougars, and wolves to take them lightly.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #13

Shannongord;
The problem up here is Grizzly Bears, people will insist on have bacon and eggs.
The smell of cooking ham will bring a grizzly ten miles. As a child while living with the Tlicho, I was taught early that you could cook anything any way you wanted to as long as you boiled it, then move and leave your smells behind.

Personaly I carry a Remington 870, that holds six 2 3/4 rifled slugs in the tube, nothing in the chamber.

While I teach the Canadian safety course it is the the above firearm every one is interested in, and how to use it.

The hardest thing to get across is attitude, you have to be ready to use it.

The storage under the bed is a very good location to carry a few firearms for the course.

To be honest I love the Escape 19.
The problem with it is the fridge. I do not think it will hold a moose.

Doug
Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #14

Hi: Yukon Escape... The 5cu. ft. refer probably wouldn't hold off a Grizzly who can smell your ham sandwich with mustard and mayo...either !!! Alf
Old 04-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Escape
The problem up here is Grizzly Bears, people will insist on have bacon and eggs.
The smell of cooking ham will bring a grizzly ten miles.
I'll remember this if I am successful in the Limited Entry Hunt draw

It seems that some forum members have posts related to their hobbies (i.e. photography) maybe I can get in some hunting photos - with the Escape in the background of course.

G
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #16

The Grizzly will have to get through the screen door first.

To get back to the original "Post"

You will have no problem driving the Alaska Highway, they have filled all the potholes, and those they couldnt fill they constructed bridges over them, I think I saw onw with a 7/11 in it but it was getting dark.
To be serious, the road is in better shape than most roads in Edmonton.

As far as hills go you only have a few major ones, coming north is the hill going into Taylor Flats,
Then you have the Sikany Chief.
Then you have the Steamboat mountain. You may run some hills as well at Stone mountain.

You will see a bit of narow road around Muncho Lake, watch out for Caribou and Stone sheep. try to time your self to do that bit of road in daylight, nice views for photos.

When you get to Toad river look out for elk, then past Fireside you will start to see Bison.

To be honest the highway is in good shape, try to stay at around 90 to 100 k and you will be ok.

Doug
Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #17

Trailer: 19 foot 20

I love reading this forum.. And the firearm discussion was ...enlightening!

We are soooo close to picking up the Escape...May 6...Can't wait. Are still debating the north option but my husband has decided that Pacific Rim National Park is on his to do list this summer. So now we are plotting distance /time etc...

Thanks everyone for the discussion...and letting me know about the highway conditions...That helps...I remember the Bison from our last trip north. But grizzly bears ...Now that's another issue...
D
macsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

I'd make the trip, just so I could justify buying a new Remington 870!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote