New Contemporary cabinets - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation New Contemporary cabinets

Some time back, before the "Contemporary" cabinets were listed on the ETI website personalization page or sample order form, I requested samples of a selection of the lighter-color materials samples for eyes-on inspection.

Today I received the package of requested samples, including a piece of plywood with the "Contemporary" finish and a sample of the "Shadow Grey" flooring material that had not been listed when I requested the samples. Unfortunately there's nothing indicating the source manufacturer / product number on either plywood sample.

The Contemporary-finish plywood has a subtle 'woven / cloth-like texture' in contrast to the perfectly smooth satin Maple-finish plywood. Both are of course a synthetic (vinyl?) finish-surface bonded to luan (or similar) plywood.

Upon 'attacking' a corner of each of the plywood samples with the sharp edge of a screwdriver blade, both seem equally (very) resistant to actual 'breakthrough' of the vinyl finish layer; both seem similarly subject to suffering a 'scratch impression' short of actual breakthrough of the vinyl layer.

A 'non-breakthrough scratch impression' on the satin Maple is a slight bit more 'obvious' (IMO) than the same 'scratch impression' left on the textured Contemporary material, though both can be highlighted if the light is right (or should I say "the light is wrong"?).

The Contemporary isn't going to 'be for everyone' (what is? ) but IMO the new finish is certainly nice and worthy of serious consideration by folks inclined to the lightest possible interior color palette.

Kudos to ETI for expanding the choices
Old 01-13-2022, 09:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 E19
Alan, how long after the samples came did they finish building your trailer? Just wondering. When I put in a samples request a month ago, after submitting the request a screen came up saying they wait until it is almost time to start the build sheet. But I just received an email from ETI saying my samples have been mailed. Either that screen announcement is obsolete, or my build date is being bumped forward by more than a year!
Old 01-13-2022, 09:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Alan, how long after the samples came did they finish building your trailer?
I ordered and promptly received samples about when I placed my deposit, early September 2020; I had to finalize my build-sheet by mid-May 2022; trailer was completed early August 2022 (all dates per my original and unchanged schedule when I placed the deposit).

I don't recall anything suggesting I delay my samples order at that time, all the materials actually installed in my trailer matched the corresponding samples.

Hope that helps (but things may have changed), Have Fun!
Old 01-14-2022, 05:59 AM   #4

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We asked for samples soon after sending in our deposit. Our 21C is planned for completion in October. They arrived without delay.

We are going with the Contemporary interior. We had the opportunity to tour a new 2020 with the Contemporary and and a couple year old with Oak. While I really love the Oak for its warmth and cozy feel, the Contemporary interior felt very open and bright.

I too did the old scratchy scratchy on the vinyl and was happy at how good it held up.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 21NE
And, so far, all hooks hung with command strips have stayed attached to our Contemporary panels. I was hesitant at first because of the texture, but someone on this forum, I forget who, said it worked on theirs. So, I went for it. We are very pleased with our choice and apparently so is everyone who has seen our trailer.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Karl says the new contemporary interior is the most popular followed by Maple, then oak
Old 03-14-2022, 07:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Karl says the new contemporary interior is the most popular followed by Maple, then oak
Yes, we LOVE our Contemporary interior. I watch a lot of You Tube videos for learning and for entertainment. The thing most people do is paint their dark wood RV interiors white or a light color. It really does "open up" the space. I know there are some die hard "wood interior" people out there. That's cool. The point is to make the trailer yours!
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
Yes, we LOVE our Contemporary interior. I watch a lot of You Tube videos for learning and for entertainment. The thing most people do is paint their dark wood RV interiors white or a light color. It really does "open up" the space. I know there are some die hard "wood interior" people out there. That's cool. The point is to make the trailer yours!
If I really want to mix it up, with the white interior I can paint the cabinet doors a different color.

Take a close look and you will be able to see where escape hid their mistakes with just white caulk, hides well.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
Agreed! I got the contemporary interior too.. I was going for maple originally..
Old 03-14-2022, 07:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
If I really want to mix it up, with the white interior I can paint the cabinet doors a different color.

Take a close look and you will be able to see where escape hid their mistakes with just white caulk, hides well.
Very intriguing, but not my style.. But thats why we all buy custom Campers!