New Escape video - "How It's Made" - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #61

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Great video! If I had seen this video before my purchase I might have built it myself: LOL( not)
Mark James is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #62

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a chopper vs mat. It's a quality trailer. Having said that, I would like to see the shell a bit thicker. Of course, there are tradeoffs in terms of cost and weight.
For those interested it appears Oliver has a very similar process including the use of chopped fiberglass.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/oli...-construction/
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #63

Trailer: escape 19
The video was great to show the process to build the trailers. Owning and running a manufacturing business is no small task.

I am an absolute believer in safety glasses/goggles, I have had a lens removed, and was surprised that their use is not mandated and enforced. With an eye injury, the medical cost is high but the personal cost can be greater.
mrpdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #64

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
For those interested it appears Oliver has a very similar process including the use of chopped fiberglass.

You and I must have looked at 2 different Oliver websites
There are numerous reference & photos relating to hand laid matt .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

I think there are two different animals . There is no comparison from those I have had the pleasure to look at . You can go on the roof of Oliver , the body is solid and doesn't flex , their front propane covers had two -three times the thickness of fiberglass looked 3/16- 1/4 thick from what I saw . If you look at their process you posted it is a mixture of hand laid and sprayed , thought that was the optimum way to go . You need to personally inspect a Oliver before you can make those kind of comparisons. It's well known we love Oliver, but it's their well thought out use of space , attention to detail , high quality hardware and construction we love including their frame and step .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #66

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Don’t get me wrong I think the Oliver is very well built...but what happens when something goes terribly wrong between the shells and you can’t get to it to fix it.
Please correct me if you can replace water tanks and everything that appears to be sealed for life.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Don’t get me wrong I think the Oliver is very well built...but what happens when something goes terribly wrong between the shells and you can’t get to it to fix it.
Please correct me if you can replace water tanks and everything that appears to be sealed for life.
Have you ever fixed anything like plumbing , electrical on your Escape ? For me it involved sometimes tearing out cabinets and paneling etc. not much thought to access . Oliver has planed a lot of access points . It would take too long to go into all. If your really interested you can check that for yourself . Look we have a Escape and as far as I know will have for a long time unless something serious crops up . Just wish we had known about Oliver to begin with . So far we are loving the one we are with . Many on here keep changing out to bigger Escape trailers . We keep what we have, trailers , cars for a long time . But if you can't dream what's the point in living . I was stating you can't compare Escape and Oliver . Pat
Old 04-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
By some, ETI gets criticized for being too expensive, but yet, then ETI is expected to be able to match methods and expectations of an Oliver - a trailer that is vastly more expensive and much heavier than an Escape.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #69

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
You and I must have looked at 2 different Oliver websites
There are numerous reference & photos relating to hand laid matt .
Yes, that link shows that there are various areas of the Oliver shell with hand laid materials, and even honeycomb core, which is different from an Escape. On the other hand, most of the Oliver is chopper-gun sprayed just like an Escape.

Since (as baglo noted) the video can't show all of the details, perhaps Reace could clarify where mat, cloth, and perhaps core material are used in an Escape? I saw cloth at the seam between the shells, and for attaching the wood strips, but there might be others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
You can go on the roof of Oliver , the body is solid and doesn't flex...
That is due to the cored construction of the roof (not the whole shell), which is described in the linked Oliver web page (look for "Nida-core"). I would expect the same in the floor (because there is no plywood), but that isn't mentioned.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I was stating you can't compare Escape and Oliver . Pat
Wow, Nida core, 2 layers of woven material plus a layer of bi-directional cloth You'll make an Oliver fan out of me yet although I have to say that I don't really care for f.g. interiors.

No, an Escapes no Oliver, but it's no Scamp either but it uses exactly the same layup. I still wish that they used some woven material to give a more consistent layup.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Wow, Nida core, 2 layers of woven material plus a layer of bi-directional cloth You'll make an Oliver fan out of me yet although I have to say that I don't really care for f.g. interiors.

No, an Escapes no Oliver, but it's no Scamp either but it uses exactly the same layup. I still wish that they used some woven material to give a more consistent layup.

Ron
Me too Ron . Something I have found disappointing . But if you don't get into the nuts and bolts of your trailer , I guess what you don't know won't hurt you . Pat
Old 04-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
... but it's no Scamp either but it uses exactly the same layup. I still wish that they used some woven material to give a more consistent layup.

Ron
And some of us have owned Scamps and know that there is a world of difference between most every aspect of an Escape and a Scamp. Ever seen how Scamp connects the top and bottom halves together? On mine it was a relatively thin piece of aluminum u channel pop riveted to the fiberglass.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #73

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
And some of us have owned Scamps and know that there is a world of difference between most every aspect of an Escape and a Scamp. Ever seen how Scamp connects the top and bottom halves together? On mine it was a relatively thin piece of aluminum u channel pop riveted to the fiberglass.
That seems strange , the 2 halves of my 16 ft Scamp were fiberglassed together . The metal strip was purely cosmetic.. I've visited both the Scamp factory and the Casita factory and from what I saw both use the metal strip as a trim piece only
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #74

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Ever seen how Scamp connects the top and bottom halves together? On mine it was a relatively thin piece of aluminum u channel pop riveted to the fiberglass.
A Scamp is a clone of a Boler, and a Casita is a clone of a Scamp. The Boler/Scamp/Casita shell-joining technique is
  • the edges of the upper and lower shells turn out to form a flange
  • the shells are placed on top of each other (flanges against each other)
  • fiberglass cloth and resin are used to bridge the v-shaped gap on the inside to seal and bond the shells together
  • an aluminum trim channel is riveted to the outside of the flanges for appearance
Although most owners believe that the trim and rivets are holding the trailer together, and the rivets must help, I believe the intention is only cosmetic. Certainly the trim channel doesn't do anything structural. Most owners seal the trim to the body on the top side to prevent leaks, but that's not where the body is sealed at all.

As the Boler/Scamp body flexes, the bridging fiberglass on the inside of the joint is stressed and sometimes fails some areas, occasionally leading to leaks. The body often bulges substantially around the middle on the door side due to the flexibility.

The difference between this (which I have in my Boler) and Escape's method of joining the shells edge-to-edge while precisely aligned in their moulds is huge. As with the Boler/Scamp, Escape's aluminum trim is only for cosmetic purposes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
That is true, but there is also a world of difference on price. Scamps are entry level trailers for molded fg and a totally different market segment. They are an excellent value given how they perform, historically hold up, and get the job done. I’ve had four Scamps to date, currently still have one and will probably see a few more before I’m done, but it’s a totally different beast.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
That seems strange , the 2 halves of my 16 ft Scamp were fiberglassed together . The metal strip was purely cosmetic.. I've visited both the Scamp factory and the Casita factory and from what I saw both use the metal strip as a trim piece only
And when I visited the Scamp factory I was told otherwise, but then much of what I was told by Scamp before my purchase didn't seem to bear out in real life. Like the "resin impregnated" wood floor - which turned out to be OSB with a microscopically thin spray from the fiberglass gun counting as "resin impregnated"

Old 04-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
That is true, but there is also a world of difference on price. Scamps are entry level trailers for molded fg and a totally different market segment. .
As are Escape and the Olivers that they are being expected to quality match.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #78

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
That's true, those of us who have owned Scamps do know that there are some differences but there's also a huge difference in their prices.

Someone should do up a speadsheet based of factual differences. Aside from the OSB floor and the rivets there's a huge amount of similarities.

Ah, the little Scamp, it still has a fond spot in my heart. This was an April Fools joke from a few years ago.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
27-03-2013 1-33-42 PM  05_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #79

Ok, I get it now, not sure how I could have missed the irrefutable evidence . Price differential between Scamp and Escape - utmost importance. Price differential between Escape and Oliver - just ignore it.

I give.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #80
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Great job on the video, realy shows all the hard work put into our trailers.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote