New "Standard" Cooktop? (not Suburban SDS-2) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #41

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Experience with New 21NE at Higher Altitude

We just returned from camping with our 21NE. We do have the new Dometic D21-SEC cooktop, Dometic DFSAD12 furnace, Suburban SW6D hot water heater, and 3-way Dometic RM26 6 cu ft refrigerator. We had 8 nights camping at 6,000-6,800 ft elevations. We had no issues lighting or using the cooktop, no issues with propane furnace, and no issues with the hot water heater lighting. The refrigerator may not have been a good test though because all of those nights we had electricity. We did however, travel with the fridge on propane which does mean that it ran at those elevations and even higher because we went over multiple passes along the way. We did not have a single case of the refrigerator dropping out and showing a failure.
Illinois Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #42

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
My take on the high altitude capability of the Dometic D21 is simple. Some work at altitude and some don’t. The ones that work up high might do that for their entire lifetime or they might work sometimes and not others.

Reason for this likely variability in performance probably boils down to some combination of design, component quality and/or the final build.

If they work at altitude, Dometic will never hear from owners. If they don’t work at altitude, then Dometic has a pat answer; “Don’t go to the mountains, stay at sea level.”
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
My take on the high altitude capability of the Dometic D21 is simple. Some work at altitude and some don’t. The ones that work up high might do that for their entire lifetime or they might work sometimes and not others.

Reason for this likely variability in performance probably boils down to some combination of design, component quality and/or the final build.

If they work at altitude, Dometic will never hear from owners. If they don’t work at altitude, then Dometic has a pat answer; “Don’t go to the mountains, stay at sea level.”
Probably the best summation on this subject. I had another trailer with a 3-way fridge that didn't work well on propane at higher altitudes, especially when outside temp dropped below 40F.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape 5.0 Laura Lou
My 5.0 was built end of July though completion date was 8/25. Hoping I get the Dometic for safety. But. I designed my home for full time living and mostly boodocking. I plan to be at higher altitudes in the summers most of the time.
CarolynStride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #45

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
8600 ft and worked well

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynStride View Post
But. I designed my home for full time living and mostly boodocking. I plan to be at higher altitudes in the summers most of the time.
We regularly boondock at 8600 ft. elevation at Inyo NF Grandview Campground, near the Ancient Bristlecone Pines, when White Mountain Rd. opens in June. We used our Suburban SDS2 stove repeatedly - especially for morning coffee. Our Dometic DFSAD12 furnace worked well, and the Dometic RM2663 refrigerator/freezer seemed to work normally too. Temps were in the low 40s and upper 30s.

73/gus
Attached Thumbnails
escape_GrandviewCampgound_InyoNF_201906_small_IMG_1251.jpg  
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #46

Looks like an interesting place to visit, wish I lived closer.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #47

Trailer: 2022 E19
Check your ETI pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynStride View Post
My 5.0 was built end of July though completion date was 8/25. Hoping I get the Dometic for safety. But. I designed my home for full time living and mostly boodocking. I plan to be at higher altitudes in the summers most of the time.

Check your ETI pics................
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #48

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Check your ETI pics................
Just FYI, the cooktop installed in my 5.0 (see first post in this thread) was not 'revealed' until the "Final" pics from ETI, those taken the day before delivery long after the conclusion of "Production-line Build Pics". YMMV.

One more propane-system related FYI .... my trailer has no rigid copper tube that I can find, period. All of the propane transmission from tanks-to-appliances is via rubber tubing with several aluminum 'distribution blocks' for splitting flow where needed. Yes, all of the junctions / distribution blocks are outside of (below) the trailer shell except of course those connections at each appliance. Methinks that the complete absence of copper tube may be a relatively recent change?

As an Owner (in it for the long-term) I can see both pros and cons to 'all rubber' but I'm not complaining, in balance I like the arrangement I was provided. Again, YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1544.jpg  
Old 08-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
One more propane-system related FYI .... my trailer has no rigid copper tube that I can find, period. All of the propane transmission from tanks-to-appliances is via rubber tubing with several aluminum 'distribution blocks' for splitting flow where needed. Yes, all of the junctions / distribution blocks are outside of (below) the trailer shell except of course those connections at each appliance. Methinks that the complete absence of copper tube may be a relatively recent change?

As an Owner (in it for the long-term) I can see both pros and cons to 'all rubber' but I'm not complaining, in balance I like the arrangement I was provided. Again, YMMV.
I noticed that in the 23' chassis shown in the recent ETI video. Yes, it is relatively recent.

I suppose all-hose could be okay, although properly supporting it under the floor is a challenge; there are rubber-grommeted clamps visible to provide support. Using the hose to support whatever is in the loom cable-tied to the hose in the photo would concern me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:57 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
.... I suppose all-hose could be okay, although properly supporting it under the floor is a challenge; there are rubber-grommeted clamps visible to provide support. Using the hose to support whatever is in the loom cable-tied to the hose in the photo would concern me.
Yep, IMO there's a lack of attention to detailing by ETI that will prompt 'mitigation' by this OCD Owner (that you mentioned and few others evidenced in this pic).

Granted, this as pictured might be just fine for years for most owners, never giving rise to any issue at all. Still, the detailing isn't particularly satisfying to my sensibilities, so we'll address that on our own.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:27 PM   #51

Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
I opted for the Enos over the Dometic, in part, because of the reports of failure to ignite at higher altitude, but mostly because of several reports that Dometic tech support told callers that the altitude limit was in the design.

Hard to believe that an RV stove manufacturer would restrict usage like that, but it was enough for me to choose the Eno.
I am working on my build now. I live above 4500 ft so I find that ridiculous ! I camp regularly over 8000 ft and sometimes at 10000 ft .. I might have to go with the Enos. I am not in a position to do after market install. I am also concerned about the small pan sizes of the dometic. I get it most people cook outside. I do too but not when it is raining or snowing.
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:54 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just FYI, the cooktop installed in my 5.0 (see first post in this thread) was not 'revealed' until the "Final" pics from ETI, those taken the day before delivery long after the conclusion of "Production-line Build Pics". YMMV.

Does look like and electrical conduit tied that hose when there are other options to support it. Ughhh
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #53

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Dickinson cooktop working at > 7000 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebike1 View Post
I camp regularly over 8000 ft and sometimes at 10000 ft .. I might have to go with the Enos.
We have been using our new Dickinson 2-burner cooktop at Trailer Village in Grand Canyon National Park. Elevation is 7040 ft. Stopped in Pie Town, NM to make coffee at > 7800 ft elevation (and to enjoy some great pie ). Both burners work well. Suspect the Enos will work just as well.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Has anyone had success at high elevations (6K or more) with the newly installed Dometic cooktop? My 17B build is coming up in January and I have the standard 2-burner Dometic specified. If it sounds like an overwhelming number of people find it doesn't work at elevation I may have ETI not install the cooktop. Often it's the case that more people that have problems post on forums than those whose equipment works as expected. I would love to hear from those whose 2-burner Dometic is working as expected.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:24 PM   #55

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
We have been using our new Dickinson 2-burner cooktop at Trailer Village in Grand Canyon National Park. Elevation is 7040 ft. Stopped in Pie Town, NM to make coffee at > 7800 ft elevation (and to enjoy some great pie ). Both burners work well. Suspect the Enos will work just as well.

73/gus
The Atwood/Dometic and Suburban stoves typically have a very small integral regulator whereas the Dickinson does not. I wonder if that has anything to do with performance at higher altitudes.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #56

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Has anyone had success at high elevations (6K or more) with the newly installed Dometic cooktop? My 17B build is coming up in January and I have the standard 2-burner Dometic specified. If it sounds like an overwhelming number of people find it doesn't work at elevation I may have ETI not install the cooktop. Often it's the case that more people that have problems post on forums than those whose equipment works as expected. I would love to hear from those whose 2-burner Dometic is working as expected.
I would have been inclined to chalk up high altitude failures as some combination of user error, supply line gremlins and/or sloppy installs, but after reading a response from Dometic tech support that clearly stated that the stove was not designed to light above 4,500 feet, I decided that the writing was all over the wall and opted for the Eno.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:54 PM   #57

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
We have the 2-burner Dometic on our 2020 19’. This summer it worked fine at 8000.’ Living in Colorado most of our camping is over 6000’.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:33 PM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
My. 2018 has the “old” stove that came with a metal cover with hinges screwed into the countertop. I asked for ETI not to install the cover but to provide it separately. It’s still in the box. I’ve never ever wished I had it. I use a piece of the second table in my trailer that fits over the burners if I am on shore power and not going to use the gas stove. It makes a great countertop.

THe new stove looks like the hinges for the lid are attached to the metal pan, so if one wanted to take it off, it might be possible. Especially if it’s glass.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
... The new stove looks like the hinges for the lid are attached to the metal pan, so if one wanted to take it off, it might be possible. Especially if it’s glass.
Indeed, I was curious prior to your post ... remove the two cooktop hold-down screws, remove one propane hose-strap to get 'slack' (no propane connection disturbed), lift the stove to remove 4 nuts (with captive lock washers) holding the hinges, the whole glass top lifts-off as an assembly intact leaving you with this (fill open holes with suitable pan-head SS screws).

Nope, not sure what I'll do, just checking it out for now, but yeah I'm leery of using the glass lid as 'additional countertop'. As an interim easy experiment I may trim a poly cutting board to exact fit even though it will stand slightly 'proud' of the countertop due to thickness.

Downside - the raised glass lid does serve as a 'cooking spatter guard' along the back ....
Attached Thumbnails
Dometic D21 Glass Removed.jpg  
Old 09-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have some small plastic bins that i align along the sides to keep my tabletop piece off the dials which are slightly elevated. It looks like there’d be no problem with the dials on this one as they appear to sit vertically.

I installed a piece of the same Formica on both the rear and right hand “walls”. So much easier to clean.