New Trailer To-Do? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
New Trailer To-Do?

Hey folks, our E19 is scheduled to be dropped off tomorrow (yee-hah!) and I've been thinking about the sorts of things that should be done to a brand new trailer.

Due to some medical appointments it will be a week or so before we can head out camping so I've got some time to fine tune things.

Obviously after traveling 5,500 km a wash and wax is in order. I'll test all the systems to make sure everything is working, fill up propane tanks, charge batteries, etc.

Major modifications aside is there anything you'd add to the "New Escape To-Do List"?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Make a list of basic things to cook and eat, and gather those.

Get familiar with all the appliances and hook up/unhook procedure.

Give it lots of ventilation for a couple months, ours is still off-gassing after 2.5 months. I am more sensitive to the smell than my wife, and it’s still bothers me occasionally.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Probably rinse out and refill fresh water tank (dump most of it if you will have hookups, but good to start fresh and make sure nothing leaks.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Give it lots of ventilation for a couple months, ours is still off-gassing after 2.5 months. I am more sensitive to the smell than my wife, and it’s still bothers me occasionally.
Yes, good point. This is a concern. My wife has lots of environmental allergies. Fortunately I can store the trailer under cover so we can leave framed windows, etc. open to get some air moving through.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Something easy to forget on that exciting first drive is to follow the ETI schedule and procedure to tighten the wheel nuts. It starts on Page 58 of the ETI user manual and recommends tightening at the first 100, 200 and 300 km (60,120,180 miles) of initial travel and before each trip after that.

Here’s a how-to video: https://youtu.be/GY_EJaRaYJE

You might also be interested in the full orientation video playlist
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...SGKRD1jw5IEPNn

Old 07-10-2022, 10:07 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A big kudos to the fellow Escapee who checked my lugs with a torque wrench at Osoyoos Rally this year... he was going around to other campers, his name escapes me right now!
Old 07-10-2022, 10:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Most people don't yet more than a few end up having problems with locking wheels and flat spots on tires as a result because they didn't burnish in new trailer brakes. It's pretty easy:

Old 07-10-2022, 10:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
A suggestion would be to first Put a bungee strap under your propane Cover so that it can’t be lifted off by the turbulence going down the road. Secondly put two zip ties opposite of the two access screws On the top of the cover so if the nuts work loose, the inspection cover will not
Be lost. Also to make sure the tanks are a screwed down tight by the big wing nut and square in the tray under them And shock the connections all for leaks.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-10-2022, 10:34 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Never heard of burnishing in brakes before. Hopefully what I did (driving home on back roads with lots of turns) more or less did the same even though I was using the tow vehicle brakes. Seems like something they should tell you...
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #10

All good advice thanks! My first drive from pickup location to home will be about 5 km so some of these suggestions will wait for a longer trip!
Old 07-10-2022, 06:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
Spray cleaning solution & wipe down all the cabinets & drawers in the trailer. Then line everything with con-tac grip liners (you can find con-tac grip rolls most anywhere). Basically prepare the cabin to receive all your goodies.

Go through your house for old bedding, bath & kitchen towels, pots n’pans, extra silverware set, knives, plastic food containers, etc. for your trailer. You’ll be surprised how many things you can repurpose for your trailer.

Buy a 9 x 6” spiral notebook dedicated to your trailer. Use it for all your lists: to-do, to-by, trailer inventory, etc. You’ll be making lots of lists…
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Go through your house for old bedding, bath & kitchen towels, pots n’pans, extra silverware set, knives, plastic food containers, etc. for your trailer. You’ll be surprised how many things you can repurpose for your trailer.
We emptied out a 37' Class A motorhome last summer so we've got way more stuff than we need already!
Old 07-10-2022, 07:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
We emptied out a 37' Class A motorhome last summer so we've got way more stuff than we need already!
So you don’t have to raid your linen closet and kitchen. Your halfway there!

You have the experience to take a minimalist approach with your motorhome’s stuff. Initially pack what you know you’ll be using. N your camping trips, use that spiral notebook to document other things you should have brought along.

You’ll also need to decide where to put everything. Your initial organizational choices will change during your camping trips. For instance, you may find yourself naturally reaching for dishes in the cabinet you’ve placed the cereal. Or your underwear where you jeans are stored. You’ll slowly be molding the trailer so it works for you! In a way, this is what makes camping fun.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:59 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Most people don't yet more than a few end up having problems with locking wheels and flat spots on tires as a result because they didn't burnish in new trailer brakes. It's pretty easy:
Good point. The burnishing process also provides the initial adjustment to self adjusting brakes. After the repeated manual braking and (according to e trailer) 200 miles of driving the brakes will be properly adjusted. I recently did my brakes and I found this to be true. Even after the burnishing I needed to set the gain to about 75% to achieve proper trailer braking. After 100 miles or so I was able to reduce the gain to the usual 30% as the brakes became properly seated and adjusted.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Some houseplants are very good for cleaning the air. When ours was new I left a jade plant and a spider plant inside for a while and the moderate new chemical smell got much better by the second time we camped. If your trailer sits at home for the first week I’d suggest some plants as it sits.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
Some houseplants are very good for cleaning the air. When ours was new I left a jade plant and a spider plant inside for a while and the moderate new chemical smell got much better by the second time we camped. If your trailer sits at home for the first week I’d suggest some plants as it sits.
Great idea!
Old 07-20-2022, 12:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 21
When you get home you might want to double up on the cabinet drawer/door clip latches. We have had the drawers/doors open during travel on a bumpy road and some items spill out. No problem after we did the double-up. We once met another Escape traveller and they had bungee cords all over the place holding drawers/ doors shut. That works temporarily but extra clip latches just gives you peace of mind.

My husband has added lots of other little touches inside the trailer since then that just make travel easy as living at home.
Wakefido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Hey folks, our E19 is scheduled to be dropped off tomorrow (yee-hah!) and I've been thinking about the sorts of things that should be done to a brand new trailer.

Due to some medical appointments it will be a week or so before we can head out camping so I've got some time to fine tune things.

Obviously after traveling 5,500 km a wash and wax is in order. I'll test all the systems to make sure everything is working, fill up propane tanks, charge batteries, etc.

Major modifications aside is there anything you'd add to the "New Escape To-Do List"?
Seems like I read here that you’re not supposed to wax a new Escape for a few months, at least. For the life of me I can’t recall the reason. Does anyone else know if this is true, and if so why?? Whatever it was, I waited a year before I waxed mine, so I’m assuming it’s a good one.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 05:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Seems like I read here that you’re not supposed to wax a new Escape for a few months, at least. For the life of me I can’t recall the reason. Does anyone else know if this is true, and if so why?? Whatever it was, I waited a year before I waxed mine, so I’m assuming it’s a good one.
If that's the case they should have mentioned it in the manual!

My thinking is to get protection on the gelcoat as quickly as possible but of course I could be wrong.

From a website on boat maintenance:
"Keeping gelcoat coated with wax-starting when the boat is new — is the best way to prolong its life. Regularly waxed gelcoat can retain its gloss for 15 years or more."
Old 07-20-2022, 06:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
If that's the case they should have mentioned it in the manual!

My thinking is to get protection on the gelcoat as quickly as possible but of course I could be wrong.

From a website on boat maintenance:
"Keeping gelcoat coated with wax-starting when the boat is new — is the best way to prolong its life. Regularly waxed gelcoat can retain its gloss for 15 years or more."
I just did a search here and found a thread… “When to Wax a New Escape Trailer?” From 2016. The consensus seemed to be wait at least 6 months to allow the gel coat to completely cure. I don’t know if this is necessary or not, but I waited and have seen no ill effects to my 19. It’s 4 years old now and has lived outside its entire life. I just waxed it a month ago, and it’s as shiny as the day I brought it home.

Best of luck!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote