Newbie Camping Gear List - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #61
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Posts: 26,011
For those contemplating the bottle jack and with the foam insulation option I believe the frame is not visible , so the wheel lift way Donna demonstrated needs to be considered.
__________________

__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
LarryandLiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maple Ridge, BC, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Posts: 691
Thanks Ron, Byran and Bill

I've watched an old retired guy (one of which I will be in a year or so - I hope) waxing his trailer. It seemed like a big job and I'm attracted to a power tool that will make things easier, even if there are things I'll have to do by hand.

I'd seen youtube clips that warn about damaging the fiberglass with power tools so I'm glad to read Bill and Bryan's advice. I think we'll go with the tool (Porter Cable 7424XP Dual-Action Polisher) Bryan recommends. It gets high reviews on the Canada Tire website.

I like that Bryan says it is pretty foolproof. And since before reading Bill's post I didn't know about rotary or orbital polishers I should stick with idiot proof as much as possible.

Larry
__________________

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Posts: 4,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For those contemplating the bottle jack and with the foam insulation option I believe the frame is not visible , so the wheel lift way Donna demonstrated needs to be considered.
I had requested a return to Amazon for mine due a comment a tech at Dexter made when trying to solve my brake lock-up issue but upon further research am keeping it. Have used it and it is easy; just don't roll over it if ramping the front wheel as it might get stuck between the wheels.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #64
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,903
I learned to take out my stinger/ball immediately after putting a gold-ball sized dent under the drivers door handle of a short Mercedes car I didn't see in my rear view mirrors. Drivers latch no longer worked. $3900 in repairs later it did.

Now if not hauling Felicity it's locked in the bed.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #65
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Thanks Ron, Byran and Bill

I've watched an old retired guy (one of which I will be in a year or so - I hope) waxing his trailer. It seemed like a big job and I'm attracted to a power tool that will make things easier, even if there are things I'll have to do by hand.

I'd seen youtube clips that warn about damaging the fiberglass with power tools so I'm glad to read Bill and Bryan's advice. I think we'll go with the tool (Porter Cable 7424XP Dual-Action Polisher) Bryan recommends. It gets high reviews on the Canada Tire website.

I like that Bryan says it is pretty foolproof. And since before reading Bill's post I didn't know about rotary or orbital polishers I should stick with idiot proof as much as possible.

Larry
You're welcome Larry. The Porter Cable polisher is a great tool for idiots like me.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:50 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 2,218
I never used it on my horse trailer but bought some white lithium grease for my escape it makes hitching and unhitching easyer sometimes the ball would catch on the hitch but not with the grease.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:55 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 2,218
There is a guy in town that will wax my escape he said he does another escape in olympia too- it seems pricey but I don't have a lot of free time and..... It seems like a lot of work
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
sokol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sequim, WA, Washington
Trailer: 2013 19'
Posts: 133
rbryan4

When I was picking up my 2013 19' I was graciously provided the following lists by Jim Bennett and CPAHarly. I provide them to you in the spirit in which they were offered to me. I hope the attachment posts as I haven't done this much.

I can start a list here, if that is okay:
pots/pans/cookware/can opener/eating utensils/knifes/scissors/coffee maker/coffee/coffee measuring cup/sugar/spices/containers for left overs/napkins/paper towels/plates or paper plates/cups/plastic drink ware/toilet tissue/in/outdoor thermometer for refer/batteries/dishwashing liquid/hand soap/bath soap/dish towels/bath towels/multipurpose cleaner/brillo pads for cleaning pots/pens/markers/trash bags/bags for pets/empty shoe boxes/mesh laundry bag/
coaxial cable/small extension cord/level/30/50/15 amp cord adapters/water hoses/water filters/water pressure reducer/microfiber cloths/hangars/plastic suction holders/extra sewer hoses and plastic gloves/fittings for joining hoses/plastic boxes for storing some of these items/clock/weather radio/12v plug in chargers/leads for pets/pet food/pet rugs/pet records/outdoor mat/chairs/table/sun glasses/rain gear/
read all the manuals, bleed propane lines, pressure the pump with water before activating water heater/be patient,this is supposed to be fun
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Escaping List.pdf (47.8 KB, 78 views)
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:13 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bend, Oregon
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokol View Post
When I was picking up my 2013 19' I was graciously provided the following lists by Jim Bennett and CPAHarly. I provide them to you in the spirit in which they were offered to me. I hope the attachment posts as I haven't done this much.

I can start a list here, if that is okay:
pots/pans/cookware/can opener/eating utensils/knifes/scissors/coffee maker/coffee/coffee measuring cup/sugar/spices/containers for left overs/napkins/paper towels/plates or paper plates/cups/plastic drink ware/toilet tissue/in/outdoor thermometer for refer/batteries/dishwashing liquid/hand soap/bath soap/dish towels/bath towels/multipurpose cleaner/brillo pads for cleaning pots/pens/markers/trash bags/bags for pets/empty shoe boxes/mesh laundry bag/
coaxial cable/small extension cord/level/30/50/15 amp cord adapters/water hoses/water filters/water pressure reducer/microfiber cloths/hangars/plastic suction holders/extra sewer hoses and plastic gloves/fittings for joining hoses/plastic boxes for storing some of these items/clock/weather radio/12v plug in chargers/leads for pets/pet food/pet rugs/pet records/outdoor mat/chairs/table/sun glasses/rain gear/
read all the manuals, bleed propane lines, pressure the pump with water before activating water heater/be patient,this is supposed to be fun
Thanks much for passing that on, for those of us picking up a new trailer it's great information and should prevent some headaches!
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Nindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose"
Posts: 343
I second that - thanks for the list! I have been poring over several lists from this forum and other sources and they are all very helpful.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
WLYBGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Posts: 103
duct tape
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #72
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 10,410
Zero balance credit card
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
duct tape
I personally prefer gaffer's tape. As good as duct tape but it does not leave a residue after it has been in place for a while.
__________________
What a long strange trip it’s been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I personally prefer gaffer's tape. As good as duct tape but it does not leave a residue after it has been in place for a while.
It does stick great but be careful. I pulled the finish off my hardwood floor when I used it to hold a temporary carpet runner for a party. Had to use a hair dryer to get it up without further damage.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
It does stick great but be careful. I pulled the finish off my hardwood floor when I used it to hold a temporary carpet runner for a party. Had to use a hair dryer to get it up without further damage.
Carl, I would suspect something amiss with the finish on the floor. There is no way that gaffers tape should pull the finish off. Was it a site finish, or pre-finished?
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #76
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I personally prefer gaffer's tape. As good as duct tape but it does not leave a residue after it has been in place for a while.
Yes sir. A tip I learned from Jon.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Carl, I would suspect something amiss with the finish on the floor. There is no way that gaffers tape should pull the finish off. Was it a site finish, or pre-finished?
Prefinished. Highly rated tape from amazon. Stuck like crazy.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 17,130
Gaffer tape, not Duck Tape, will not stick like crazy. You can even stick it to itself, sticky to sticky, and easily separate it.
It's used in TV and movies and in photo studios to tape down cords etc. so people don't trip over them.
I did manage to damage some wallpaper once by ripping the tape off the wall instead of peeling it back slowly.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
mk1549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dothan, Alabama
Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Zero balance credit card
Isn't that the truth lol
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Gaffer tape, not Duck Tape, will not stick like crazy. You can even stick it to itself, sticky to sticky, and easily separate it.
It's used in TV and movies and in photo studios to tape down cords etc. so people don't trip over them.
I did manage to damage some wallpaper once by ripping the tape off the wall instead of peeling it back slowly.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Allstar Performance ALL14253 Black 2" x 165' Gaffer's Tape

This is the stuff. Pulled straight off. Later pulled at an angle after warming it up and it was ok.
__________________

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×