Nissan recalls nearly 80,000 SUVs for brake light problem - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Nissan recalls nearly 80,000 SUVs for brake light problem

The recall covers Pathfinders from 2013 and 2014

Nissan recalls nearly 80,000 SUVs for brake light problem | Business News | US News
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Gonna have to change your username Donna. Maybe "Recall Mama"
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
These recalls seem to be coming fast and furious. I post these as I see them, because often people are the 2nd or 3rd owner and may not be notified by the manufacturer. Let's be safe out there!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 Casita
Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thanks Donna, we own a 2013 Pathfinder. I need to look into it.
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
These recalls seem to be coming fast and furious.
They do. In the past many of these problems would have been unacknowledged, or handled by the manufacturer without a recall, but now incidents are collected, analyzed, and followed up aggressively.

In this case...
If the switch stays on, it is possible that the trailer brake controller stays in braking mode. With no deceleration that normally wouldn't matter much, but if you are engine-braking you'll be dragging the trailer brakes, and if you are using the "boost" feature (of Tekonsha Prodigy and some other controllers) the trailer brakes could stay on with significant force even if you are not decelerating.

The actual recall details from NHTSA:
Quote:
Report Receipt Date: MAY 31, 2016
NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V380000
Component(s): EXTERIOR LIGHTING
Manufacturer: Nissan North America, Inc.
SUMMARY:
Nissan North America, Inc. (Nissan) is recalling certain model year 2013-2014 Pathfinder vehicles manufactured June 20, 2012, to June. 13, 2013. The brake light switch may have been installed incorrectly causing the relay to remain in the "ON" position and the brake lights to remain illuminated even when the brakes are not applied. Additionally, the brake light switch may interfere with the brake-shift interlock, allowing the driver to exit the vehicle without the transmission in the "PARK" position.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the brake lights remain illuminated, other drivers may fail to stop when the vehicle actually brakes, increasing the risk of a crash. If the driver exits the vehicle without the transmission in the "PARK" position, the vehicle may rollaway, increasing the risk of injury.
REMEDY:
Nissan will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the brake light switch and, as necessary, replace the relay, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on July 25, 2016. Owners may contact Nissan customer service at 1-800-647-7261.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
As is often the case, Transport Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database does not yet contain a corresponding recall.

Another comment:
Quote:
If the driver exits the vehicle without the transmission in the "PARK" position, the vehicle may rollaway, increasing the risk of injury.
Okay, a reminder: you are the driver. You - and only you - are responsible to ensure that you don't do something as stupid as getting out of the vehicle with the transmission in gear and the parking brake not set.

One of the reasons that there are more recalls than two or three decades ago is that vehicles are much more complex, with much of the complexity attempting to compensate for the incompetence of drivers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
So Brian, are you somehow implying that it was my fault that one time I got out of my new Pathfinder and left the engine running all day? Yes, that did happen shortly after I got it. Took some getting used to that push button start . Vehicle was in the parking garage below the building and I was 4 floors up, with the key fob in my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
They do. In the past many of these problems would have been unacknowledged, or handled by the manufacturer without a recall, but now incidents are collected, analyzed, and followed up aggressively.

In this case...
If the switch stays on, it is possible that the trailer brake controller stays in braking mode. With no deceleration that normally wouldn't matter much, but if you are engine-braking you'll be dragging the trailer brakes, and if you are using the "boost" feature (of Tekonsha Prodigy and some other controllers) the trailer brakes could stay on with significant force even if you are not decelerating.

The actual recall details from NHTSA:

As is often the case, Transport Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database does not yet contain a corresponding recall.

Another comment:

Okay, a reminder: you are the driver. You - and only you - are responsible to ensure that you don't do something as stupid as getting out of the vehicle with the transmission in gear and the parking brake not set.

One of the reasons that there are more recalls than two or three decades ago is that vehicles are much more complex, with much of the complexity attempting to compensate for the incompetence of drivers.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
So Brian, are you somehow implying that it was my fault that one time I got out of my new Pathfinder and left the engine running all day? Yes, that did happen shortly after I got it. Took some getting used to that push button start . Vehicle was in the parking garage below the building and I was 4 floors up, with the key fob in my pocket.
I did that once, with a Honda and essentially no electronics (not even power locks or keyless entry). I got out with the engine running (but not in gear, and with the parking brake set) to get or check something and forgot to get back in and shut it down; I didn't hear the engine running because of the running truck beside us. It idled for a couple hours while we were gone.

Yep, it was my fault - I own that!

I realize that those proximity ignition systems can be a bit more convenient, but they introduce all sorts of ways to be mistaken about the operating status of the vehicle. It's especially bad with electric, hybrid, and idle-stop-equipped vehicles, which can be in a fully running state without the engine turning. I have used these systems in rental cars (none of mine have it), and although I haven't had any problems I still think it would be safer if they were disabled until a regular driver understands the system and enables it.

The classic story is of a couple headed for different destinations: the driver drops off the other person somewhere, then continues to their final destination, not realizing that the only fob in the car was dropped off at the first stop. When it comes time to leave the destination, there's no fob to restart the car (or even get into it) - oops!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote