No AC - Two MaxxFans - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is not the heat, it is the humidity that makes one uncomfortable, at least here on the east coast and I'm sure in the Gulf states.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We have rarely ever had a need for A/C in the past, and until this new Escape have never had it. Most of our camping has been in Canada, and without hookups anyway. There have been about a dozen times in the last say 10 years that it would have been nice to have it, but we managed.

We have relied on a single MaxxFan. We crack a window over our heads at night, turn the fan on a reasonably low exhaust speed, and let the air be drawn in the window and over our bodies. It does a real nice job. I don't see how a second work work any better.

With our new trailer we debated on A/C. Knowing all Escape trailers are built A/C ready we thought about not getting it. As we have plans of lots more travel into the future, with some of it being to the south, we knew that in one form or another we would probably eventually want it. I liked the idea of not having it on top for a nicer visual as much as weight or anything else. Using a window mount is a great idea for those few times when it would be beneficial, and I had considered it. What I did not like about the idea of a window mount is having to carry it somewhere, which though a 5.0TA has a lot of interior space and storage, the hitch disallows much storage on the tow vehicle. We ended up saying what the heck, lets get it factory installed, then it is permanently out of the way on the roof, I could plan my solar around it, and it would be there when I need it.

Our second camping trip of the year was the Escape rally, and it got used some there. We used it to cool the trailer down in the evening before bed, then turned it off. I think I would rather suffer the heat than the noise while trying to sleep, though I am hopeful that just cooling down the interior when needed and possible (with hookups) will always suffice.

The bottom line is that it really does not matter a lot what is done, 1 fan, 2 fans, or A/C, as if ever really needed in the future any combo of the above could be fairly easily done.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would rather have a good night's sleep then try and save $1000 on a $40,000 trailer . Seems rather silly
I'm happy for you. Despite having A/C in 3 RV's I and my wife would rather have a warm breeze than a cold one. It's kind of insulting to think that it's only an economic decision that people are making. It's sort of like calling someone silly for not paying a little more and getting an Escape rather than a Casita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Apology accepted , Someday you may have the opportunity to visit other parts of the continent --Southern Florida and Southern Texas are extremely nice in July and August.
Steve D

Well we've been from Alaska to Baja and every Southern US state. Our Scamp came with an uninstalled A/C still in the box because I really didn't see the need for it. It sat in the box for a couple of years and I finally sold it because I knew that I'd never install it. To each their own.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The bottom line is that it really does not matter a lot what is done, 1 fan, 2 fans, or A/C, as if ever really needed in the future any combo of the above could be fairly easily done.
Thank you Jim for your respectful response. I completely agree with you that not getting or getting AC is not a permanent decision. I also agree with those who say it is more about geography than anything else. If we lived in a hot humid area or often traveled in hot humid areas we would get the AC. We are not opting for the AC on our new 21. We live in Southern California. During the summer months we love to camp at the beaches along the California coast. Each month we go for one week to a different beach campground where we meet up with our friends and family who also have RV's. It's a week long party at the beach and it's our favorite thing to do! During the Spring and Fall we take trips to places like Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. We have had wonderful trips to Texas and New Mexico.We often camp in the Anza Borrego Desert or Palm Desert area in February and March. We do not want to camp anyplace too uncomfortable hot and humid even with AC because we spend very little time in our trailer. We like to ride our bikes, hike and explore. Those things are not too fun if it's 100F outside. We thoroughly enjoy the way we currently use our trailer. I can't wait to continue on camping this way with our new Escape 21. If our camping plans change in the future (or for resale reasons) we know we could have a new roof mounted AC installed at our local Camping World and have our trailer back the same day. I just don't see how my thought process is silly and I would never suggest anyone else was silly for choosing the AC or any other option. Again I appreciate all the thoughtful responses to my question. I think we will just go with the one Maxxfan and we will keep our options open as far as our future AC needs.
And Steve, if our camping travels ever cross paths (and I hope they do) I am going to invite you over to my Escape 21 for a beer. I guess it's going to have to be a really ice cold beer because apparently it's going to be really warm in my un-airconditioned trailer.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
And Steve, if our camping travels ever cross paths (and I hope they do) I am going to invite you over to my Escape 21 for a beer. I guess it's going to have to be a really ice cold beer because apparently it's going to be really warm in my un-airconditioned trailer.
Thank you Matt for your kind offer and hopefully someday we will cross paths but don't worry about having cold beer cause I don't imbibe . If it's hot you can come over to our trailer , it's not as fancy as an Escape but we do have air conditioning. I always carry a 12 pack of good Wisconsin beer and cheese for special guest and you're more than welcome to try some.
Best of luck with your new trailer .

Best Wishes
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
I guess it's going to have to be a really ice cold beer because apparently it's going to be really warm in my un-airconditioned trailer.
You can buy a LOT of beer for the price on an A/C unit, and have WAY more fun cooling down too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You can buy a LOT of beer for the price on an A/C unit, and have WAY more fun cooling down too.
You drink beer to 'cool down'? How novel. [emoji23]
Old 12-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Hearty laugh, Jim. 34 years ago when we bought the Ranger on a toyota truck chassis (like a little chinook) we had an ice box rather than a refrigerator, and my first chalet was ordered specifically with no ice box at all.. My view then was I could buy a lot of ice for the cost of the refrig. Age has mellowed my outlook and I have a refrig in the current chalet and love it. And getting AC on my ordered 17.

Does anyone know if the location of the AC can be changed from the center if I am not getting rooftop solar? Both my kids are tall and will inherit the Escape....it would be great to have ac over the back dinette rather than impeding headroom in the aisle way.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the vent locations are fixed by the mold, thus not able to relocate.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #30

so there's a vent even if folks aren't getting ac? or a separate mold for ac/non ac?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
so there's a vent even if folks aren't getting ac? or a separate mold for ac/non ac?

You get a hand crank vent where the ac was plus the max fan up front . same mold

I am considering this also, But i worried about the few nights i might need the AC
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #32

Thank you, I didn't know that because the only one I've seen is my friend's 17B which has AC. Well, if it can't be helped, they'll just have to duck. I think both would vote for AC over headroom.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Thank you, I didn't know that because the only one I've seen is my friend's 17B which has AC. Well, if it can't be helped, they'll just have to duck. I think both would vote for AC over headroom.
I know thats how it is on a 19 I assume it would be the same on a a 17 but you could confirm with ETI
Old 12-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #34

here a pic of a 19 without air
Attached Images