No front E19 window guard? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. A bit surprising but now we know it's an option.

Which raises the question. If you can have the front window without a rock guard can you have a front window that's double glazed with a black frame to match the others?

Ron
I will have to check the codes on the windows once we get the trailer here, but I believe that the front window isn't tempered glass like the side windows
Old 05-15-2020, 08:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When I was parks superintendent in Council Bluffs in the 70s we had a neighborhood park that was especially prone to vandalism. We had a lighted ball diamond there. The lights were old, and the aiming teeth were badly corroded from acid rain out of the nearby Griffin Pipe factory. Tipping them up to the sky in the fall like we did on other diamonds was not an option. So in the fall we would take the lenses off using a HiRanger for access and remove the bulbs and put the lens back on. The vandals would on occasion use a .22 caliber rifle or pistol and shoot a lens out but they didn’t get the bulb. One Fall I had the bright idea to put stand off bolts on the lenses, install heavy sheet metal discs and nut them down. The .22 would dent them but not penetrate. They stood an inch off the glass. The next spring they were all dented up but the lenses were ok. Ah success. The next winter we reinstalled the sheet metal. In the spring they were dented up more than they had been in the fall. I got to one pole in the outfield and the first thing I noticed was a bulge in the back of one fixture and bits of glass around the rim. And calling down to the guy in the ground there was glass in the grass. I took the sheet metal with a hole in it off and in the reflector at the bottom of the rim was a .38/357 lead. They will persist if they really want to. And they were sending me that message. If I were doing it again today I would use plate steel. And even a tempered glass window is no match for a medium sized bird at 70 miles an hour let alone a rock or piece of road debris. Give me the rock guard any day.
Your Friday evening anecdote by the prairie sage:
Iowa Dave
Old 05-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
The way i understand the front window is it comes from the manufacture as one drop in unit with rock guard pre installed . Maybe in tburt trailer they where going to remove the rock guard for him. I will say I seen his 17 with the front panel on window and that was nice. looked much better than rock guard . even know it was not a sealed pane it was like a storm window and I sure it cut down on condensation.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburt View Post
I will have to check the codes on the windows once we get the trailer here, but I believe that the front window isn't tempered glass like the side windows
Negative. The front and side windows are all tempered glass.

Ron
Old 05-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #25

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Someone over on FB just posted their picture of new E19 delivered. No front window guard? That is an accident waiting to happen IMHO, birds and other items have hit the front of my trailer and cracked the gelcoat, that window is single paned also. I'm surprised the factory let this go through like that?
Jim, If you are referring to the post by Andy Baer, he bought this unit used, not new. The rock guard was torn off when the prior owner forgot to close it before driving down the road.

He clarified what happened in a FB post about 12 hours ago.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-16-2020, 12:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
So, to recap, the first posted photo was the result of an accident not something ETI provided.

Tburt has since confirmed that ETI will supply the front window without an rock guard, if requested.

So I guess it's just a matter of time before someone requests the front window be black the same as all the other windows, making for a very distinctive unit.

Ron
Old 05-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
another urban legend busted.......time for a beer.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If I were to have a trailer with a front window and no guard, I would want laminated glass (like a windshield), not tempered glass (like a side or rear window). When tempered glass is hit hard enough it shatters into small bits which are less dangerous than the shards of ordinary glass; when laminated glass it hit hard enough the outer layer cracks and the polymer film between layers holds it together. I would rather have a crack in my front window than a big open hole and an interior full of glass bits. Unfortunately, I'm sure that laminated glass is not an option from the window manufacturer.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #29

I watched a pretty good sized whitetail deer attempt to jump over the hood of a new Two door Jaguar automobile. The lady hit it squarely in the center of the windshield . The windshield fractured and bowed in at least a foot but the plastic center layer held the glass. I could not believe it. I stopped to see if I could help and it turned out to be a lady who had a son in school with my son. She was about a mile from home. She rolled the drivers side window down, stuck her head out the window and drove the car home. I followed her at about 20 miles an hour. She surprised me with her durability, was not shook up at all just mad that “that stupid deer ran in front of me”. Made me a believer in safety glass repair bill was between 4 and 5 thousand.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #30

Did the deer live? When we first moved out in suburbs in late 70's and our daughter was like 4-5 years old when a deer jumped out and hit the car. It was in December and our daughter started crying that we hit "Rudolph and that Santa was not going to come this year".
Old 05-17-2020, 07:58 PM   #31

Once I got done following her home I turned around and went back down the same street where the accident happened. Animal control was dragging the expired animal up out of the ditch. So no, the deer did not make it. The road is 45 mph there and most everybody drives the limit. There are no houses with driveways off of E Avenue NW for about a mile because a huge concrete box culvert is on one side and the city bought all the houses out in the late 50s and early 60s to alleviate frequent flooding. I’ve hit two and they both died in the accident.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-17-2020, 08:51 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If there ever is another rally, take note, my buddy got hit by a deer as he climbed the hill out of Osoyoos toward Keromeos. Don't know how the deer made out, but my buddy lost the mirror and driver window on his Highlander.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:23 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Not sure if this is real or staged but it’s pretty funny - caller complaining to radio station about the deer crossing signs.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #34

Trailer: none currently
Smile

["Someone over on FB just posted their picture of new E19 delivered. No front window guard? That is an accident waiting to happen IMHO, birds and other items have hit the front of my trailer and cracked the gelcoat, that window is single paned also. I'm surprised the factory let this go through like that?"

Now that we understand the factory didn't let it go through like that, maybe it would be good to delete the thread.
Not everyone will read through to see it was damaged in transit.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #35

Trailer: none currently
Good to know.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:21 PM   #36

Since it was an accident that caused the missing front cover, lets just close the thread.
Closed Thread