No orientation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Not to beat this to death, but I found the in-person orientation to be extremely helpful and part of a very positive and customer-oriented pick-up experience. The E2 WDH we purchased as an option was also installed and adjusted to our tow vehicle right in the shop, then the tech showed us exactly how to hitch it up. He had us do it twice to make sure we got it right.

We were able to go through the trailer, ask questions, and make sure we were ready for camping in it that night. Water tank was filled, fridge on, and propane tanks filled. It was part of the personalized experience I had hoped for when choosing an Escape. I don’t think I forgot much of what we were taught. Exchange of the trailer in Sumas was seamless.

This was back in 2018. It saddens me to hear these orientations are no longer an option. Change happens I guess. Probably difficult to continue with in-person orientation when so many trailers are being delivered at a given time. There were just 2 other parties picking up theirs the day we got ours.

I do agree COVID is often used as an excuse to reduce service. My recent experience at a hotel that advertised free breakfast included in the price of the room serves as an example. Upon arriving at the hotel, I was informed there would be no breakfast due to COVID risk. Seriously?? They didn’t even have fresh coffee set out. The price did not change, however, nor was there any notice on the website when I made the reservation. Frustrating times, for sure!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned 4 prior Escapes, I can play hokey that day.......
Old 09-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

"bit"

Ron
Well, maybe someday more that a bit, but I like it. [emoji16]

I have heard of folks going camping on a nice beach on The Baja and telling others about it. That's weird too, eh? Some might misconstrue it as just being nice though. [emoji6]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:09 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I shot and edited the first orientation video with Tammy. It took a day to shoot, a couple to edit, another to reshoot parts ( after Reace reviewed the content ).

I can assure you, you will remember little from your in-person orientation.
Totally agree with you. In 2017 when I picked up my 19 there was so much information given in such a short time 90 percent just went right over my head. I went home and looked at the video again and again every time I had a question. Good job on the video Glenn
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:35 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not sure you saw my video since it was done in 2009 and has since been replaced by updates. But, thanks anyway.
I reviewed my own video several times to refresh my memory on steps for awning.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I am sure that I just read somewhere…maybe Facebook that someone just picked up their trailer last week and had a great orientation.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:38 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post

PS: The starting position matters. If you have had a camper before and/or are handy with mechanical, electrical tasks, it likely not a big issue either way. We were (and still are) novices with little experience of any relevance. It’s been and remains a steep learning curve. But, members here have been very generous in guiding us as we learn.
Totally agree with you. We have only tent camped and it was with the barest of necessities many years ago. This is all new for us too. We were disappointed when we were told there would be no more orientations. We were told to watch the videos. We did, but they made no sense until we had our trailer in hand. Then watched them again and had several "aha" moments. Now we go to the videos for clarification on most things. It would be nice if they updated them for the current product being manufactured. And yes the learning curve is steep for us too. We'll see what we have learned, or not, in our first outing next month!
We are very thankful for the knowledge shared on this forum.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:24 PM   #28

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
For us, the orientation was not for learning about the trailer but a chance to do an inspection / acceptance test of the trailer. We found a few things that needed fixing before we left for Sumas and missed some things due to the rushed attitude of the guy giving the "orientation" that I had to fix myself after I came home.

With the delivery of a trailer now at Sumas without any inspection (orientation) or later service at Chilliwack, how are build defects being handled?
This raises an interesting question. We plan on asking Escape this directly when we’re nearer to our delivery date, but does anyone know if Escape would allow a local third party to do an inspection of the trailer at Escape’s site on our behalf before it’s shipped? We hope to do this if it’s permitted.
YakRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:07 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
I have read this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents....

I got my Escape in 2014, my first and only trailer. I am a 'read the manual' kind of guy, to figure out how things work or remember forgotten details. I think I had watched the original Tammy video (thanks to gBaglo!) about 5 times before pickup.

I have not checked into the current video selection, but have seen the occasional video featuring Reace (e.g. adjusting water pump). I expect the current videos cover things in a whole lot more detail than was available 7 years ago.

I did appreciate the opportunity to have a one on one walkthrough to look at the basic operation of all the features on MY individual trailer, and ask questions. Having watched the available video beforehand gave me most of it, so I could absorb more details, and know what else I needed to ask to feel comfortable doing it on my own. I did pick up a pointer or two on the awning, although I still occasionally do things out of order after 7 years of practice - but my awning has still survived. Some other features and options don't come with manuals, so there is nowhere to go to get basic instructions, unless the current video collection covers it.

We also got the Anderson hitch installed and set up, so had the opportunity to get some pointers on that, too.

I guess my point is, that I was glad to have the orientation, and might feel I was missing out if it wasn't available anymore for me. The process did make me feel more comfortable that I could operate the trailer on my own.

All in all, there are not too many things on the trailer that you can easily destroy or that require specialized training, but I did appreciate the orientation.

After composing this post, it occurs to me that perhaps an extensive video library might be more useful after all. After I brought my trailer home, I could not get the water pump to prime while checking things out before our first trip. I know I was afraid of running it while it was dry, so probably did not get all the air out of the plumbing. On our first camping trip, our first stop was at Escape (on a Saturday!), where none other than Reace crawled under my bed and replaced the water pump. I think that was a first for him, as he remarked how confined it was to work under the bed in a 19! Those were the good old ETI days. Two days later, the replacement pump still took a major effort to get primed, so perhaps the swap was in vain. Who knows what the problem really was?

Oh well, things have changed, either for good or bad.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
This raises an interesting question. We plan on asking Escape this directly when we’re nearer to our delivery date, but does anyone know if Escape would allow a local third party to do an inspection of the trailer at Escape’s site on our behalf before it’s shipped? We hope to do this if it’s permitted.
Interesting thought, but raises a few questions to me.

First, why? It is a new trailer. I know trailers and quality fairly well and neither time did I even consider something like this. Never found a need afterwards either, at least nothing an inspection would show.

Secondly, who would you get to do this? I have never heard of this being done and can't imagine finding someone qualified to give an accurate inspection.

Thirdly, have you ever heard of this being done at a vehicle manufacturer? I would bet they might be a bit leery of entertaining such a request.

Still, asking never hurts to ask. I would be quite interested in hearing what they say and the results of such an inspection should it actually happen.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-26-2021, 05:40 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
For us, the orientation was not for learning about the trailer but a chance to do an inspection / acceptance test of the trailer. We found a few things that needed fixing before we left for Sumas and missed some things due to the rushed attitude of the guy giving the "orientation" that I had to fix myself after I came home.

With the delivery of a trailer now at Sumas without any inspection (orientation) or later service at Chilliwack, how are build defects being handled?
This, too, should be everyone’s biggest concern in the absence of an in-person orientation. A number of members stated that they did not remember a lot of what was presented to them because it was an overwhelming amount of information in a short period of time. Learning how things operate can be stressful for the first time RV owner. For those who have experience with things like absorption refrigerators, etc., it’s less daunting. Even for those experienced with previous campers may have anxiety. It is rumored that my good friend Jim Norman (AKA CPAHarley), awaiting his 5th Escape still has figured out how to change a propane tank so he simply buys a new trailer. Rumor also has it that he is the source of that rumor!
But seriously, without an actual orientation, you still have three resources:
1. The Owner’s Manual;
2. Escape Videos;
3. Most importantly, all the members of this forum who will willing and quickly respond to any question you might post and will continue to help until any issue is resolved. And that includes Jim (note his post count)!

If I were totally honest, I would have to say that several things were not covered during our orientation, possibly because the person providing the orientation was a long time RVer but was a new hire (less than 1 week) who did not own an Escape. What was most memorable about that day, however, was I finally got to meet the two remarkable and caring people who founded ETI.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:40 AM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I shot and edited the first orientation video with Tammy. It took a day to shoot, a couple to edit, another to reshoot parts ( after Reace reviewed the content ).
The original orientation and winterizing videos were very helpful. Thanks for doing that Glenn!
Old 09-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #33

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
I was excited to see our email this week confirming our April 18, 2022 pickup date

I noticed a line that says ‘ due to the Covid pandemic they can’t do an in person orientation and we are invited to watch an online video’…

So we can eat dinner indoors in BC but we can’t get an in person orientation to our new trailer?

We are double vaxed and masked but we can watch a video to figure out our new systems

Not impressed
We still have a bit before ours is completed but I have similar concerns.

Hopefully by the time ours is ready we can at least pick it up from the factory. I'm in sales and I'm sure I can convince someone to "show me" a few things while there.

I do like the videos because, as my wife says, I'm not a good listener.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post

I do like the videos because, as my wife says, I'm not a good listener.
Must be a common wife trait. I hear the same thing from mine too. [emoji16]

Well, maybe it is a common husband trait too. [emoji23]
Old 09-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #35

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer
Exclamation Very helpful

Found the orientation with the actual hitch installer very helpful not the woman I bought the trailer from. We needed to know how to use and operate the trailer now not after watching videos. Made the trip in 2019 from Massachusetts. Since we started camping right away don’t think videos are that handy when cell signals in some places were non existent. Some comments are from people that own much older trailers so their experience differ from people have purchased more recently. Just like my new truck I personally want to look at it on the show room floor so if there is a problem it does not become a blame issue. Been through that!
cdmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We got the orientation for our 19 back in 2013 and loved the feeling of being part of something important and special. I didn't remember anything from it, except for feeling a little dizzy from trying to absorb all I was told. Then a couple days later at a campground I accidentally turned off the switch under the dinette with my knee. Result: no electricity - ten minute freak out - what the hay happened? Then I found that turned off switch. If the orientation guy had mentioned it I just don't know.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #37

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21 NE
Willyb

We are going to contact Escape as we get closer and request the orientation. I’ll post back here then but I would encourage you and anyone else for whom that’s important to request the same of them. I’m a tactile learner, so videos and manuals aren’t as helpful for someone like me. A bigger issue for us is we live in the north so the minute we turn down the Stuart Cassiar highway we won’t have any cellular service to come back here and ask questions or to watch a video

To the poster who wondered what can go wrong with something new… lots

A couple years ago we bought a Mazda SUV in Vancouver and drove it 1500 miles home. The next month there was a safety recall and a computer chip had to be replaced. Despite assurances that servicing could be done in Whitehorse it couldn’t, so it was a real hassle

Anyhow, thanks so much for all the input folks, will sign off on all this now
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:00 AM   #38

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21 NE
MyronL I missed this one sorry

Yep, that’s the sort of thing I would do. Thankfully you retained that one important piece of info. LOL
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I knew someone on Facebook just got an orientation a few days ago…
Attached Thumbnails
CB60419C-8A2D-47CA-AC01-1BCD292143B5.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #40

Trailer: 2021 21NE
At the time we were scheduling pick up we were told no orientation, beginning of this month. If we had the opportunity we would have taken the week and a half off and gone to Sumas for pickup. Instead we paid to have it delivered to within 45 miles of our house. It was a little expensive, but just a bit more than if we had driven the 3,000 miles and hotels, meals, etc.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote